Dies sometimes when let off gas

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Sometimes when I left off, like for a stop: the NT dies. I happens but if I try and duplicate it I can not get it to do it. If just losses power, clutch is in so I just hit start and vroom. I happen a few times today riding down, runs great, getting over 50 mpg. Just will die when I put in clutch slowing down.
This happen once last trip, a little different. After a stop I started out, it died and I slip forward: well that made it so I could not put down my foot. Yep I found my self doing the backward lift to ride the bike. I hope I can finish this trip, and then take to dealer to have him look at problem. Maybe by then I know just how to make it happen so I can show the issue.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
How old is your battery and have you checked voltage lately. Yes I did read how you spin the starter right after...

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Be aware of the Honda RECALL for spark plug caps that cause dying as described, especially in hot weather, it seems.
I hadn't had a bit o trouble until 10,000 miles + and it started doing it last week.
As soon as the weather temp gets back below 90, it is ok. I have a set ordered for my dealer to install under
the recall.
I thought it was clogged injector, as I have been ill and haven't been able to ride hardly 30 miles since
March 1st, but after siphoning gas and adding cleaner, I am convinced it is the spark plug caps.
There is more info here on the site and through Google search.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Dannyjo beat me to it. I was going to mention the spark plug cap recall. I had to take mine in for it. The first time it happened to me was on a multiday trip in the heat. Although mine wasn't so much idle as it would have trouble taking off from a stop, more of a stumble as your trying to get going. If you read the recall though you will see that the spark plug caps are "leaking" and I can see how under certain conditions they would make it hard for the engine to maintain idle because of low spark. Your spark plug end caps should say "NGK" and should be visable with one of the fairings off. I can't remember which side was easier to look at (left?). If your plug caps do not say "NGK" you probably have the ones they recalled. If I remember right, there was a shortage of the NGK ones so they tried using replacements from a different manufacturer and they were of inferior quality.

If you are on a multi-day trip and away from home, I would stop into a honda dealer and ask about it. I was lucky and mine only effected my bike when it was really hot, and if I could get up to speed and keep the RPMs up it ran great. I was able to finish my trip and schedule the recall work after I got home.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
Okay I don't know if replaced but sounds like a winner. I got an extended warranty so I take to deal and get him to fix it. Not very warm this week but does happen after I been riding.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Then they gave me a copy of the service bulletin so I can confirm for myself that I have the correct plug caps. Because on the third page there's a picture of how to identify the updated part.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
The links above will help if the dealer is having a hard time remembering what this Service Bulletin on the NT700V was all about.

It affected ALL 2010 NT's.
It wasn't a recall, but a Service Bulletin.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I think the dealer is to replace the caps at no cost, even if out of warranty. My dealer said he was going to anyway.
It will give me an excuse to discuss checking valves while body panels are coming off anyway. I just hate to have the engine
heads messed with when there are no leaks whatsoever and chances of needing valve adjustment is so
slim according to many.
I may have the heated grips installed too, unless I decide my riding days are over with this Spring and Summer's arthritis
problems. I had to quit riding 25 years ago, then got on a new drug regimen for the last 15 years, that allowed me to get back
in motorcycling. Then, a year ago, my liver rebelled and we've not been able to find another drug that works so far....I cannot bend my
knees to ride the NT since early March for more than 4-5 miles.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I'm having a similar problem except it doesn't die but the revs drop to about 900-1000 rpm instead of 1250. This can cause a stall if I don't catch it.

It seems to be fuel that's causing mine (I've had the spark plug caps changed on the recall in Europe about 5 years ago). I'm still trying to trace it.

Oh and if no one else is going to say it I will "Sometimes those around me die when I let off gas!" :toot1::crackup:

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I called dealer was told my is NOT a recall on spark plug caps for my VIN. I have lots of extra lights and I sure I get that it is the extra LED lights I have causing issues when I take in for issue. I going to disconnect the lights etc. and take to dealer next week. Issue seems to be when warm, not ever noticed it when cold: does not happen too often, annoying to say the least.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Honda calls it a Bulletin, it appears, as noted earlier. Nearly everyone I had seen on this site, mentioned they did not have to pay for the plug caps update. My dealer made it clear I would not have to pay for it either, even though all the warranty has expired. He was happy to order and have the parts ready for when I could bring it in.
Might be like my Father-In-Law's experience when his dealer told him his car needed an $1,800 gasket to stop a leak, and I called a local dealer and he said that the problem was a known bulletin, and it could be done free at his dealership. I nor my Father In Law had ever bought from the local dealer, but he was committed to his brand and was aware of the problem and how to get his re-imbursement.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When I called my dealers on this a few years ago they said my VIN number was not one that has the faulty plug caps. I purchased a pair of NGK plugs caps just in case. Its now 5 years since I purchased my NT and it still has the OEM plug caps and has never had any running issues and the spare NGK caps sit in my tool box waiting to be called to duty.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The spark plug caps are not a recall, meaning no letters were sent out by Honda to have owners bring the NT in for a fix. How a motorcycle can be recalled for tire pressure stickers but not for spark plug caps that will stall the engine is one of the great mysteries of how the NHTSA works.

All 2010 NT's are affected, there is no VIN check needed. If it is a 2010 NT, it is affected. From the Service Bulletin:

AFFECTED UNITS
All 2010 Model Year NT700V
All 2010 Model Year NT700VA

If you tell your Honda service department that your NT is exhibiting the symptoms of faulty spark plug caps I would think that they would replace them under warranty. There is warranty information for the dealer in the Service Bulletin, so the dealer should get paid for the work from Honda.

I've searched the the inter-webs for a printable version of this Service Bulletin. No luck. The only place I've found it as linked to Katherine Photobucket site. If would be nice if there was a copy of those at this site, not Katherine's Photobucket site.....it could disappear.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
[h=1]
HONDA NT700 2010 Technical Service Bulletins[/h] Car-and-Safety.com
Home HONDA HONDA NT700 HONDA NT700 2010 HONDA NT700 2010 Service Bulletins

[h=2]HONDA NT700 2010 Technical Service Bulletins[/h] Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. Technical Service Bulletin is issued when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated HONDA NT700 problem; it is issed by a HONDA manufacturer. TSBs can be vehicle-specific or cover an entire product lines. Usually TSB address the specified repair into a step-by-step process. The majority of TSBs are created by the first automotive technician to come up with a HONDA repair procedure. There are sometimes more than one way to fix a problem, resulting in multiple TSBs for the same problem. HONDA NT700:ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

HONDA NT700 2010 Technical Bulletin #MTB-13451
HONDA NT700 2010 technical service bulletin was issued Dec 01, 2010.HONDA NT700 2010 had a failed ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING ENGINE. HONDA MOTORCYCLE: MAY EXPERIENCE ENGINE MISFIRE AT IDLE DURING HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES AND STOP AND GO TRAFFIC. SPARK PLUG RESISTOR CAPS MAY DISCHARGE TO GROUND WHILE ENGINE IS IDLING, CAUSING AN ENGINE MISFIRE. *PE .

Top Bottom