Put a Crampbuster on my throttle yesterday, the jury is still out

AmericanRecluse

A fellow rider noticed I was stretching my hand at stop lights after long rides and recommended one of these. I installed it and took my bike out for a short ride; can't say I liked it too much.

cb2.jpg

My gripe is when I come to stops the natural position of my palm pushes down on the darn thing, when I accelerate from a stop I have to maneuver around it as I go up through the gears. I see the value when I'm going 80mph for 100 miles, but it's not a very "in town" friendly add on. Anyone else use these, and should I give it more time to get used to it?

I had one on my '98 Pacific Coast. Took a while to get used to using it, especially at slower speeds. You can also change the angle of the Crampbuster so you do not accidentally push on it at the wrong time, which is not a good thing! I would also have the CB outboard on my grip, move my throttle hand inboard when slowing, or doing slower speeds, such as parking lots.
But after I adjusted to it and got the muscle memory built in, I was ok with it.

Last edited:
I only use mine on weekends when going for longer rides. I take it off for my in city commuting during the weekdays. I also purchased the narrow one as I can move my hand inwards to get out of its way when I need to.

Give it some time and you will fall in love with it. Soon you wont know its there, and if you want to go faster on the hiway you can adjust it on the fly
My hand used to fall asleep starting from the thumb and working its way across the hand. Now I can ride for hours with no distress

I started using a Cramp Buster on bike one. When I picked up the NT on Dec 17, 2010, I did not move it to the new bike. After the 300 miler I did the next day I made sure to move and it has stayed put. I use it every day, short rides and long, commute, trip, steady run or stap and go. After a while you just get used to it being there. I have the wide one and mount it at the outer edge of the throttle grip. The trick seems to be to find the adjustment point where you can push it with the heel of your hand and yet not be putting too much pressure on it when stopped. I like it to just touch the heel of my hand when the engine is idling. There is no way I will ride without mine,

Chuck

I shortened and narrowed mine with a belt sander to about one third of its original size. That made it much better for me. I later installed a Kaoko throttle lock and that is another step better. The gold standard is an electronic cruise control.

I've had my cramp buster on for about a month. Taken one long, one medium and one short ride with it. By and large I like it. The trick seems to be getting the adjustment right.

Thanks everyone for your shared experience, I'll give it more time and report back. The VistaCruise option looks promising too. I might go that route if I start riding longer trips.

Sounds like you have the CB adjusted to high. It should be positioned so that when you are gripping the throttle at idle, you can keep your wrist in a neutral position. You shouldn't have to do anything different with your grip/wrist position once you get it correctly positioned.

I've tried several cramp busters over the years. The best IMHO is the Throttle Rocker II.

I use this and love it. Simple, cheap and works great:

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

I use both the Cramp Buster and Go Cruise. To me they serve different purposes.

The Go Cruise acts similar to Vista-Cruise or other throttle locks. It holds the throttle in a set position so you can let go with your right hand for a few moments.

The Cramp Buster allows you to control the throttle without gripping the bar as tightly as you would otherwise.

Both serve to relieve tension in your right hand and arm, but in different ways and at different times. Together thay make a good team.

I only use mine on weekends when going for longer rides. I take it off for my in city commuting during the weekdays. I also purchased the narrow one as I can move my hand inwards to get out of its way when I need to.

This is exactly my approach including using the narrow one. It was my favorite Farley onthecross country trip this summer.

I have used throttle locks on all my bikes. I have also used the crampbusters. They do take a bit of adjustment to get used to them. When in twisties I'd rotate out of the way, then move it back for the highway and another position for in town. They offer good, fine control of the throttle when you don't need a lot of throttle movement. But, in the end, I almost always used the throttle lock so I took off the 'busters'.

FYI, when using a "throttle lock" I adjust it so it just hold the throttle in position yet still allows fine adjustment. When I hit a highway I engage the 'lock' and leave it on for long periods, making fine adjustments for hills and such. It should be not be called a "cruise control" or a "throttle lock" since it does neither.

FYI, when using a "throttle lock" I adjust it so it just hold the throttle in position yet still allows fine adjustment. When I hit a highway I engage the 'lock' and leave it on for long periods, making fine adjustments for hills and such. It should be not be called a "cruise control" or a "throttle lock" since it does neither.

Yes, I've seen the light that this is the best way to use these devices. I think of my TM as part of a CC system, wherein my wetware computer provides fine adjustment and disengagement logic as required.

I've been using a cramp buster or throttle rocker on my bikes for about 3 years. The cool thing is they grip only when you push down. Therefore I can easily rotate my up when I'm in town. In other words, rotate it such that it points out away from the me in town. It's like it's not even there and I can manipulate the throttle normally . Then when I want the convenience of the cramp buster, simply pull it down under the grip, then up into position for use. Easy to do on the fly.

Put a 'VistaCruise' on there for less than $30 and it will work great---no putting your hand or wrist on the ol' Crampbuster. The VistaCruise can go from bike to bike when you get a new toy.

Sam, do you think you could put a VistaCruise on an NT with the factory heated handgrips? I don't see how you could, but maybe I'm missing something.

I've had a Throttlemeister on my bike (and will) even though I've now got the Rostra electronic cruise control.

Hi All, I love my CB even more than I love my other little piece of plastic - my credit card!

Back
Top Bottom