Hello from London Great Britain

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I wish I could legally lane split. Thanks for sharing the video. Its always nice to see an NT in action.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Oh, yeah! Lane-sharing it's called in the only state in which it's legal -- California. In the other 49, it's against the law.

OP
OP
kortex
Bike
2009, Bla NT700 Deauville
Oh, yeah! Lane-sharing it's called in the only state in which it's legal -- California. In the other 49, it's against the law.
wooow, seriously ??? that's insane ! Then why anybody will need a bike in city if you need to stand in traffic with cars... ?! is for the scooters the same law ?

I was just looking at a video from UK last week....the guy was doing a road test and review right in the heart of London town and it was downright scary watching him filtering " their definition" through the traffic up to the lights and all the other cars just totally accept it.....If We tried that sort of stuff we would end up in a heap on the ground in a hurry...I left the UK in 1971 for the good ole USA and I cannot imagine attempting this kind of riding....There must be a separate skill test just for this surely!

OP
OP
kortex
Bike
I was just looking at a video from UK last week....the guy was doing a road test and review right in the heart of London town and it was downright scary watching him filtering " their definition" through the traffic up to the lights and all the other cars just totally accept it.....If We tried that sort of stuff we would end up in a heap on the ground in a hurry...I left the UK in 1971 for the good ole USA and I cannot imagine attempting this kind of riding....There must be a separate skill test just for this surely!
well, yea, filtering is the part of riding in big cities like London is... :) Cant imagine driving together with cars in traffic hours ...

I lived in Surrey by Boxhill..(Dorking)....the riding was pretty sweet back in the 6os and even used to ride up in the City sometimes..but it was always good to get back home...Keep them padlocks on your stuff...

OP
OP
kortex
Bike
I lived in Surrey by Boxhill..(Dorking)....the riding was pretty sweet back in the 6os and even used to ride up in the City sometimes..but it was always good to get back home...Keep them padlocks on your stuff...
yea, time goes and nothing much better in padlock theme... couple weeks ago somebody took my cover from bike... yea.... things are getting worst ... insurance because of it is going up.... one thing is still good, dont have to pay congestion charge for driving in to the centre on motorcycle :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
There is always hope in Tennessee. If they pass this law it should be real interesting to see how drivers react. I am sure it will not be in a positive manner.

"The American Motorcyclist Association supports the efforts of Tennessee motorcyclists and politicians to enact a law during this legislative session that would permit riders to travel between cars using the maneuver commonly known as lane splitting.

H.B. 1102, introduced by state Rep. Timothy Hill (R-Blountville), would permit lane splitting when traffic is traveling at 45 mph or less and the motorcyclist does not exceed posted speed limits. Lane splitting would not be permitted in marked school zones when a warning flasher or flashers are in operation."

"Research and evidence suggest that lane splitting may reduce a motorcyclist's exposure to collisions, which is why the AMA supports H.B. 1102 in Tennessee," said Wayne Allard, AMA vice president of government relations. "Motorcyclists' safety is our utmost priority."

Last edited:
OP
OP
kortex
Bike
There is always hope in Tennessee. If they pass this law it should be real interesting to see how drivers react. I am sure it will not be in a positive manner.

"The American Motorcyclist Association supports the efforts of Tennessee motorcyclists and politicians to enact a law during this legislative session that would permit riders to travel between cars using the maneuver commonly known as lane splitting.

H.B. 1102, introduced by state Rep. Timothy Hill (R-Blountville), would permit lane splitting when traffic is traveling at 45 mph or less and the motorcyclist does not exceed posted speed limits. Lane splitting would not be permitted in marked school zones when a warning flasher or flashers are in operation."

"Research and evidence suggest that lane splitting may reduce a motorcyclist's exposure to collisions, which is why the AMA supports H.B. 1102 in Tennessee," said Wayne Allard, AMA vice president of government relations. "Motorcyclists' safety is our utmost priority."
I was in Miami and didn't know about this law, and was driving as I always do, good that there was no police who saw me :D
But I still dont understand, how guys in Texas can ride in city .... there is so hot in summer, and biker can die in protective gear if he is open air standing in traffic...
Strange, but thanks you all guys for this info, coz in nerest future Im going to USA to have a ride on 66 :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Most of us have learned how to ride in the heat and the cold. There are ways with the proper clothing to manage both reasonably well. When it gets really hot you just have to accept that you are going to be hot. If one were to be stuck in a traffic jam for an extended period it would be a problem and you would probably have no choice but to strip off some of your gear. Fortunately that has never happened to me.

OP
OP
kortex
Bike
Most of us have learned how to ride in the heat and the cold. There are ways with the proper clothing to manage both reasonably well. When it gets really hot you just have to accept that you are going to be hot. If one were to be stuck in a traffic jam for an extended period it would be a problem and you would probably have no choice but to strip off some of your gear. Fortunately that has never happened to me.
soooo, as I understand you are happy about that law what dont allow you to go between the cars ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
kortex, I wouldn't say I'm happy about that law, but the two days I spent riding near San Francisco and Los Angeles didn't give me enough exposure to lane-splitting/lane-sharing/filtering to raise my comfort level with doing that. I'm sure if it were legal, I'd learn to do it and feel safe.

Until then, I haven't been too miserable in Denver which is the city I ride in most often.

OP
OP
kortex
Bike
kortex, I wouldn't say I'm happy about that law, but the two days I spent riding near San Francisco and Los Angeles didn't give me enough exposure to lane-splitting/lane-sharing/filtering to raise my comfort level with doing that. I'm sure if it were legal, I'd learn to do it and feel safe.

Until then, I haven't been too miserable in Denver which is the city I ride in most often.
ok, nice then. If everyone is more or less ok, then its all good ;)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its what we are used to but I would prefer it if they changed the law and allowed motorcycles the option to Filter or lane split. Those that don't want to don't have to but in some cases it would be nice to have that option.

OP
OP
kortex
Bike
Its what we are used to but I would prefer it if they changed the law and allowed motorcycles the option to Filter or lane split. Those that don't want to don't have to but in some cases it would be nice to have that option.
totally agree with you ! I think the same way !! :) That If you know how and if you want to, then there should be no obstacles to do it !

Top Bottom