Common Issues?

Mo Throttle

I'm considering the purchase of a 2010 NT700V. The looks of the bike always attracted me,along with the its style and shaft drive. I currently ride a 650 V-Strom which is a great bike. The NT would add to the stable. I'm curious about any common problems that may affect this model and things to look out for when buying a used model. The bike I'm considering is 400 mi. away so any inside info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Re: Issues

Most folks prefer the ABS model (which cost more). They came with/without ABS. The worst thing is the whimpy pannier latches, but there are fixes for that posted on this forum. There was a recall for some spark plug caps, but most of those are resolved by now. Over all they are pretty reliable and predictable. It is much like your WeeStrom. It handles well. A lot of us sometimes want a little more power and another gear, but that is true of most motorcycles. It will cruise the interstate highways and handle tight twisty roads and parking lots with ease.

Bottom line - I'm keeping mine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

At 105,000 miles, mine has been reliable for the most part. Early on I had some engine warning lights that were resolved when my dealer replaced the regulator/rectifier and the spark plug caps.

I had bought the four-year extended warning and that cost Honda quite a bit of money, but the big expenses were because of poor mechanicking while changing rear tires. Two dealers screwed up the rear end. One neglected to lube the splines with Honda Moly-60 and another either left out a spacer or put it in the wrong place. I also had major electrical issues at about 97,000 miles that were probably my fault. A shock failed at 98,000 miles, 8 days before the expiration of my 5 years of warranty. Honda ruled that a shock was a wear item and not a warranty item. But my dealer gave me the shock at half-price, so I can't complain.

It's never used any oil, still runs as strong as it did when new and gets the same gas mileage as it did then.

Over the 105,000 miles, I've averaged 46.2mpg and a lot of miles are put on at a fairly high speed. I did a BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) in mid-May and watched the odometer roll past 100,000 840 miles into that ride.

I've got the ABS model and it's saved my bacon twice when women have pulled out in front of me on wet streets. I'll have ABS on all my bikes in the future.

OP
OP

Mo Throttle

Just as I thought. Another Honda gem. Thanks .

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Basically there are no issues provided you follow the service schedule and manual.

The lids are only a problem if they are not closed correctly. Provided they are closed correctly - no problem.
The Splines are only a problem if they aren't "moly 60ed" each time the rear wheel is removed.
The fuel pump is only a problem if you run out of fuel.
The fork seals are only a problem if the bugs aren't cleaned off the forks and the seals cleaned.

etc. etc.

I've probably just given mine the kiss of death...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

[Pannier latches are the week point. If you slam them, expect them to fail. I always gently close mine, and in 25000 miles of daily use, mine have given me no grief at all...]

Not always true. Debbie always closed her lids with a gentle touch and they worked nicely until the left side stopped working one day. Taking it apart, I found that two of the four screws on the left side had disappeared and all four posts were cracked with some disintegrated. Although the right side still worked OK, I installed external latches on both sides figuring it would come to that some day. I removed the catches on the lids, so although the latch mechanisms are still there, they have no bearing on opening/closing. On the left side, the latch mechanism serves a separate function since it retains the cable & lever for the seat opener.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The only problem I have had with mine is that the fuel does not last as long as you want it to.

On my maiden voyage the NT700v "failed to proceed" after travelling just 380km's, when I was told by more than one person it would easily go more than 400km's. That left me stranded just 15km's from my destination and right on dusk. Apparently head winds impact fuel economy and therefore distance travelled is reduced, who would have known.

Hope you buy it and get to enjoy it like the rest of us here.

Seagrass

tawilke46

The NT is very reliable. I have NT #1470 and have had no issues with the bike. But I do not have the mileage some of the other forum members have on theirs. Just don't ride as much as I did when I was younger.
I also ride a 2009 DL650, so the mileage is split between two bikes.

yiannis

3000 kilometers trip to turkey from greece no issues only problem the pannier laches and i replace the clutch very reliable bike and comfortable came up with a solution with external laches see if you can fokus on the black bike

Attachments

Top Bottom