First Ride of 2020

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It wasn't very far and I didn't go west because of high winds in the mountain areas, but I managed to get my first ride of 2020 today. Rode NE and home and got in 109.5 miles. It supposedly got up to 58F here, but my guess is that most of my route was in the mid-40s. It had been real windy here yesterday with 35mph winds and higher gusts. It was dead calm when I left the house, and started blowing while I was buying gas. I'll post a picture or two later tonight.

Boy howdy, I'm gonna' enjoy this for the next little bit -- I'm actually leading Woodaddict in 2020 mileage!!

P1070154.JPGP1070158.JPGP1070167.JPG

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
WHOHOOOOO!!!!!!

not for long!!! after I put in my work miles Friday!!!!!!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I knew it wouldn't last. But for the next two day, I'll enjoy it. And I'll remember it for years with just a tinge of sadness that it couldn't have been for longer. :-(

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
take a pic of it to bring back the happiness!!! you and mike S are going to be "grumpy old men" on friday

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ahh, we'll live through it. At least I don't have to work. Much.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Today will be my 3rd ride of the New Year, with projected high temp of 50.

Next week we'll see a drastic drop in the temps as we approach the historically coldest 2-weeks of the year in late-Jan and early-Feb. Or it could be 65...who knows for sure these days?

ps. predicted high for Sunday is 62 but with heavy rain.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
the sadness has been implemented !!!!!!!!!! try and catch me if you can now!!!!!! i'm off and running. now we have 2 old grumpy men, get out and ride------ NT competition has begun

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...and mike S are going to be "grumpy old men" on friday..."

Who is going to play Ann Margaret and Sophia Loren? :) :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Getting back on topic, Yesterday I had a good ride with a pal.

He has one of those fancy phones (mine is a coal-powered, flip phone!) and said it was 30 F when we left our subdivision. Within 10-min we were on a 55-mph road and it stayed that way for close to an hour with only infrequent slowdowns going through small towns. Using those hand covers (Moose hand gauntlets) has really made riding in the cold fun again. As I've done all along, I was able to wear my unlined, deerskin gloves and my hands were comfy. It's still a bit difficult to use the turn signals but getting better each outing and at least I'm riding!

I've also tried the hand gauntlets on the interstate as an experiment and although it was a "balmy" 42 at the time, I rode for 15-miles at 70-75 mph without any discomfort to my hands/fingers. I did feel a slight bit of cold on my hands but nothing close to being uncomfortable or having to continually open/close my fingers to keep up circulation. My guess it that they'd help greatly in the rain and I wouldn't have to wear my Aerostich 3-fingered, rain gauntlets that work great but I hate to wear them because of all that extra material over my gloves!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'd venture a guess that WVRider (Duane) was on his NT yesterday because the weather forecast for Parkersburg showed 74 with no rain! :)

It was about 10 degrees cooler in central OH but we had rain, accompanied by strong, gusty winds for most of the day. I'm planning to ride on Weds with temp still in the mid-50s and this might be our last good day to ride for a few weeks, maybe longer? :-(

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It's not looking great for the next two weeks here. Not much (if any) snow east of the mountains, but cold with wind some days. I don't think I'll be riding.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
First Ride of 2020 today...

Quick Ride to Bear Mountain, NJ and GW Bridge. Road to Bear Mountain Tower was closed (opens 01 April to 30 Nov) and the Henry Hudson road was closed too.. so a little detour to Allison Park (right off the palisades highway).... ~100 miles.. in windy 65degree weather... bike was all over the road...

Tested the TomTom Rider 550 GPS and the Cortech 18L Magnetic Mount Tank Bag, both are keepers :)

Attachments

Top Bottom