I love Global Warming!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Warning, this post contains tauntification! The weather gurus are predicting near seventy degrees and sunny for Sunday, Groundhog Day a possible new record! Needless to say I plan on giving Traveller and Yammy some much needed exercise. I rebuilt the forks on Yammy and replaced the rear shocks so I'm anxious to see how it rides. It was like a well sprung hobby horse before the repair. It's only a one day break in the weather and then we head back to our normal February, but not to worry, February is a short month and it's on to March and the beginning of really good weather.... 'ceptin' of course for those who choose to live near the Arctic Circle.

Mike

PS I plan on giving y'all a detailed ride report when I get back Sunday evening so JJ, shovel a path to your woodpile, grab a few logs and throw 'em on the fire, pull up a chair and I will taunt <ahem), tell you all about it.

:devilish:

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It was in the 80s for the ride home after 4 pm today. I started sweating on the way home. :giggle:

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
We still have many bushfires active, rain in many parts, especially in the East and some flooding.
This morning's news tells us that the fire South of Canberra (our Capital) has taken several buildings overnight.
It is cool and wet again here this morning.

Macka

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Macka hopefully your cool and wet will help with the fires. I'm sure there are many that need a break from them.
I watched a little TV that was revisiting the California fires and the rebuilding that is starting there.

Brad

tawilke46

I, on the other hand would gladly accept a mini drought here in Red Stick. My back yard has turned into a swamp, complete with swampy looking weeds I have never seen before.
Just when we get a day off from rain, the next day starts the rain again. 🌧

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Mild winter is nice, wish I did not live on a gravel road that has become a thorofare for an egg plant (not a farm by a long shot). It makes the road when it is wet a paste on the top, which is almost every day in winter. Unless you ever washed off a paste from all the parts of your bike you do not know how bad it is. Ten to 15 semis a day use the road, truck in everything, and truck out everything (except what is burnt illegally). Why you build a egg plant, where you have to even truck in water? Land sold for $400 and acre, I guess that makes my 62 acres a nice windfall for my son when I die.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Down to 75 degrees here in (Western) Sydney today and we have also had around 3/4” of well needed rain, such a great blessing.

Seagrass

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The weather and the ride yesterday was just grand! I started off around 0900 when it was 48 degrees and headed north on Missouri 94 which is the Lewis and Clark Trail. I then went thru O'Fallon, MO (Warren's digs) and headed up Missouri 79 which is the Great River Road as it runs parallel to the Mississippi on the Western Shore. There are a number of small river towns as you head north and as you pass thru them you can see the devastation from last years flooding. Some areas have still not recovered and may not. The towns are picturesque and all celebrate their proximity to the river with themed restaurants, bars, etc. When I started out there were a few hardy souls out on their bikes but by the time I reached Clarksville every motorcycle in Missouri was out and about. I stopped at a wayside park for a bit to look at the river and noted that there were a fair amount of ice floes on their way southward. Little did they know that they would soon join the big muddy in liquid form as there were no ice fields when I first saw the river. I proceed northward thru Louisiana, MO whereupon all of Missouri's motorcycles were joined by all of Missouri's convertibles. I stopped at several of the scenic overlooks on the Missouri bluffs and concluded on the famous Lover's Leap in Hannibal. I did a putt thru of old town Hannibal which still appears as it did in the day when Sam Clemens was just a pup. It was a glorious 73 degrees and a new February 2nd record for Missouri. I took a different, less scenic route homeward and arrived in time to grill some chicken breasts for supper. Now the bad news.... <gasp!> we have three to five inches of white stuff forecast for Wednesday!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We got to 75 yesterday and it was 23 when I went to Hospice for a training session this morning. Our streets and my alley were icy, but that's not so bad now. We're s'posed to get 3-5" tonight,, but haven't gotten anything yet. It won't warm up for over 2 weeks according to the Weather Channel. Hiss...boo!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It reached a roaring 60 yesterday! The last week in January and the first week in February are historically the coldest in Western OH and we usually have daytime highs in the 10-20 range so this is truly strange weather. This morning it was still in the mid-50s.

Yesterday, I took the opportunity to take a fairly long ride with friends and we had a great time. And I have to wonder if this warm spell will fool my shrubs into sending out new buds or my lawn to start growing again? At least for now, next week's prediction is that we'll have two days in the mid-40s without rain or snow and to me, those are riding days. :cool:

ps. individuals and small companies that provide snow clearing services around here during the slow months of winter have seen 0 income.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We got close to 3" of snow last night at our house. That means the alley will be blocked for the bike for the next 2-3 wks unless the snow removal team gets here early today.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
And I have to wonder if this warm spell will fool my shrubs into sending out new buds
That appears to be happening here in Arkansas river valley. I have a couple daffodils bloomed out, some green shoots appearing in the lawn, and early trees are budding noticeably. Some plants are pretty tough but this is early. Weather people saying possible winter mix tomorrow.
Just take advantage of the weather when you can, where ever you are. Hang on and wait for the next change.

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The weather and the ride yesterday was just grand! I started off around 0900 when it was 48 degrees and headed north on Missouri 94 which is the Lewis and Clark Trail. I then went thru O'Fallon, MO (Warren's digs) and headed up Missouri 79 which is the Great River Road as it runs parallel to the Mississippi on the Western Shore. There are a number of small river towns as you head north and as you pass thru them you can see the devastation from last years flooding. Some areas have still not recovered and may not. The towns are picturesque and all celebrate their proximity to the river with themed restaurants, bars, etc. When I started out there were a few hardy souls out on their bikes but by the time I reached Clarksville every motorcycle in Missouri was out and about. I stopped at a wayside park for a bit to look at the river and noted that there were a fair amount of ice floes on their way southward. Little did they know that they would soon join the big muddy in liquid form as there were no ice fields when I first saw the river. I proceed northward thru Louisiana, MO whereupon all of Missouri's motorcycles were joined by all of Missouri's convertibles. I stopped at several of the scenic overlooks on the Missouri bluffs and concluded on the famous Lover's Leap in Hannibal. I did a putt thru of old town Hannibal which still appears as it did in the day when Sam Clemens was just a pup. It was a glorious 73 degrees and a new February 2nd record for Missouri. I took a different, less scenic route homeward and arrived in time to grill some chicken breasts for supper. Now the bad news.... <gasp!> we have three to five inches of white stuff forecast for Wednesday!

Mike
Yeah, we are supposed to have 3-4 inches of the white death tonight. Then a colder than normal spell. On groundhog day, Spokane "Zenith" saw her shadow...six more weeks of winter....
(January was one of the most sunless Januarys on Record)
a spokane Zenith small tight.JPG

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
We still have many bushfires active, rain in many parts, especially in the East and some flooding.
This morning's news tells us that the fire South of Canberra (our Capital) has taken several buildings overnight.
It is cool and wet again here this morning.

Macka
We are brothers.....
nsw.jpg

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Indeed, Chris. We are all in this giant mess together. What affects one eventually affects us all. I too mourn the loss of your brave and generous countrymen.

Macka

Last edited:
Top Bottom