Changing headlight bulbs...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A long time ago, I had to change the Low Beam bulb on my NT and it was a real pain but I got it done. The most difficult part was getting that spring clip secured at the end of the project.

Over the weekend, I noticed the that headlight on Deb's NT didn't work. She ride with the High Beam On all the time so that bulb was toast but previously and perhaps without her knowing it, the Low beam bulb died. I was able to get that bulb out but replacing the High Beam is going to required removal of plastic panels. According to the service manual, both sides of the fairing have to be removed plus the center piece that is under the windshield.

I'm sure someone out there has done this and if so do you have a tips to offer?

ps. please don't reply and start going off-topic by talking about the wonders of high-intensity bulbs. :(

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I currently have all the Tupperware off of NaTalie at this time during her rehab.

It is a lot easier to access them both bulbs with these panels removed. Easy access to the high beam bulb would also require the removal of the meter visor.

Removal and installation of the bulbs can be done without removing all the bodywork. It is possible if you have the patience and can contort yourself and hands into nearly impossible positions. It would be enough to bring a clergyman to cursing and swearing.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil,
I recall a fairly long thread on NT Forum a year or two ago. Do we have an archive.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A little off the wall thought but is it possible for small hands such as a child to reach in there without so much bodywork removed.
Possibly bribe them with ice cream cones or something.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I did a search and this was all I found:

Rotorhead
JoinedDec 12, 2010Messages115Age75LocationLowell, Orygun
Dec 27, 2010

VICTORY !! Job Done. My son ( age 39 ) and I did a bulb swap in less than 30 minutes. From the top and in front of the forks, look down and see a pair of black rubber boots. We did the top boot first, just pull a tab off with needle-nose pliers. Next, the wire stay comes off ~~ it's just clipped on. With the stay unclipped, pivit it to the right, then gently pull the plastic electrical wire connector to the rear, and the bulbs comes out, still attached to the connector. Do the same in reverse with the new bulbs, and you're good to go.We found that a movement of the handlebars, as little as an inch or so, sometimes gave just enough room for a hand to more further down another quarter of an inch ~~ Just enough to do the job."

The only time I changed a headlight bulb on Dudley was on the Epic Ride when I had about 75,300 miles on the bike. It was a low bulb and I do remember wishing I had smaller hands.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
A little off the wall thought but is it possible for small hands such as a child to reach in there without so much bodywork removed.
Possibly bribe them with ice cream cones or something.

Brad
The Friendly Stranger in the Black Sedan approach doesn’t work on these kids nowadays. You have to offer them Starbucks and free WiFi.

During my generation grew up as a kid it was referred to as “Stranger Danger” with McGruff the crime dog.

1600658228714.jpeg

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Thanks for all the replies.

Giving it some thought, removing plastic panels will be the way to go and will save myself lots of agrevation and unique cuss words from MCRD I might need another time. It's going to be a winter project on Deb's bike so I won't be working under severe deadlines, plus going this more tedious way will allow me to clean all the accessible elec connectors and apply fresh dielectric grease. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
By comparison, the low beam bulb has fairly easy access but the high beam bulb is quite the opposite because it's way down there so your arm & hand have to reach deeper into the bike. I thought about trying to access that one from the bottom but then I'd have to do it blind.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
RedNigel - thanks for that video clip. I can see that only partially undoing the Tupperware will give me plenty of access to reach the lower bulb which I believe is the high beam. The left and right sides of the fairing can stay in place with some bolts/screws removed but other smaller pieces will need to be removed. And it would be a good time to paint some of those black pieces as they need help cosmetically!

As I mentioned in the original post, this is a "winter project" on Deb's bike so I won't be in any rush but gathering all this background info is helpful.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I replaced both bulbs in Deb's NT this afternoon. As regards removing bodywork, I only removed the small cowling that is under the headlight + the horn, and I did use tiewraps to keep the throttle and clutch cable away from the area under the instrument panel. It took me about 2-1/2 to 3 hrs.

I did some work from underneath - mainly getting the high beam bulb to a place where it could be swapped. Having the light socket stay in place while I tried to get the securing clip in position produced plenty of cuss word. I found that using a long piece of scrap wood trim worked well.

Anyhow, It's not something I want to do again anytime soon!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I know you don’t want to hear this, but…
The time you spent fussing with it the hard way you could’ve pulled off all the Tupperware and change the bulbs less than 5 minutes a piece. While you were in there, I hope you replaced both bulbs at once to minimize the chances of having to go back for the other bulb after it burns out in a week of use.

FYI, I was out in High Vista with Diva last Saturday. It was nice to get away from the BS of LA City.

26041CD6-CF90-4B48-B23F-31111B4E80A4.jpeg

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, both bulbs got replaced. I've removed the side tupperwear in the past but I just didn't want to do that this time. Besides, I had lots of unused cuss words I needed to release from long term captivity.

When we'd go dirt riding at Hi Vista in the 70s I seem to recall it was on 138th St. If we went about 5-6 miles further east we'd run into El Mirage Dry Lake. Does that make any sense?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
When we'd go dirt riding at Hi Vista in the 70s I seem to recall it was on 138th St. If we went about 5-6 miles further east we'd run into El Mirage Dry Lake. Does that make any sense?
Hi Vista starts at 200th Street East at Avenue G through Avenue J. I grew up at in Lake Los Angeles. I know El Mirage very well.
My buddy’s place is on 200th St East and Avenue J.

704D0D26-EF1C-443C-B699-2129C8C1C2D2.png

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I restudied the maps of the Antelope Valley and Hi Vista. The "X" on the map below is about the area you mentioned. That area is not that far away from Edwards Air Force Base. Also from that location to the front entry gate, yes there's an entry gate now to El Mirage is nearly 30 miles. Probably less through the desert.

1603504887830.png

Photos of my last trip out to El Mirage about 2 years go. El Mirage Ride - 10/20/18

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If we rode northeast of where we always camped, we'd encountered what I presumed were underground missile silos. Chain link topped with barbed wire surrounded the silo area and plenty of warning signs with letters ALL CAPS and in RED! Inside the fenced area was concrete with substantial steel trap doors in the center. There were no warning signs about it being Edwards AFB but I'm sure it was.

Top Bottom