NaTalie's Rehab Has Begun

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I took some time to work on the pannier covers after completing some at home overtime.

I learned some interesting this evening. Each pannier cover has its own shape and portions. They are not fully symmetrical. I had to check several times to make before placing the graphics. That was certainly interesting.

Without any further ado. This is how they turned out.

1E6B7DCA-7495-44B1-ADB8-1A53B455B15B.jpeg

4E4B529A-FAFB-4BB5-8C26-275439615CAB.jpeg

AAB6FC41-11AE-4C8E-81BB-510C783C0C8A.jpeg

I missing one more graphic. I can install those at a later time.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
They look great, very glossy. I have decided to get some black reflective tape or stickers for my black bike.
I have had white reflective tape around the edge of the number plate for a long time. Our number plates have a white background so it is not noticeable at a glance in the daylight but stands out under lights.

Macka

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
looks like Natalie has changed her name to "little monster". ALL the different bikes I have had, I never thought of naming ANY bike, until I met the NT forum. most everybody has a bike name. so that prompted me to name my Spyder...................bUrp. just add the "U" (you), brp for manufacturer of the Spyder's.

guess I'll name my red NT, NT #2 , "2nd Chance"

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
looks like Natalie has changed her name to "little monster". ALL the different bikes I have had, I never thought of naming ANY bike, until I met the NT forum. most everybody has a bike name. so that prompted me to name my Spyder...................bUrp. just add the "U" (you), brp for manufacturer of the Spyder's.

guess I'll name my red NT, NT #2 , "2nd Chance"
No, that’s not NaTalie’s new name, just the theme. Those are actually scuff guards that I found. Those here the best of the group in that style that were available. The other choices were either lame or didn’t go along with where I wanted to go with the theme.

The other graphic would’ve tied it all together. However, seller is sending them snail mail from a non disclosed location. The estimates that eBay is giving me that they’re be here by next Thursday or later.
🤷‍♂️

1601695842302.jpeg

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Tonight's Activities:

• Installed the center that Rusty Iron had donated to the cause. Installation required the removal of the muffler to able to remove the pivot pin.
IMG_2729.JPG

• Installed the replacement pannier covers. They look really sharp on the bike. I also transferred my external latches. I did a much better job this time around with the installation.
IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

I got NaTalie on her way to about 80%of her new look. All I can do that this point is to wait for those final items to arrive.

In the meantime, I will probably ride her into the office again sometime next week when I have to go in next.
😎

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I got a little surprise in the mail today. The graphics from eBay came in today. I was excited to see what the look like in person.

I applied them posthaste. I greatly pleased how they tie in and bring everything together nicely for the pannier covers.

0E5398E8-4A54-4E20-87AA-78132A6E1D0A.jpeg

0B9475DB-4C77-43B4-B3A4-1914551C3115.jpeg

There are a couple scars that still need to be addressed. I hope that I can get those addressed sometime during next week or so. Then I think I can present her to you all. Stay tune for further details.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Stranger and stranger!
How so? It’s a matter of prospective.

The insurance company wrote NaTalie off as dead totaling her out. I have basically reanimated her into something different like Dr. Frankenstein. NaTalie is not that much different than the Bride of Frankenstein or a zombie from that prospective. Thus the monster theme inspired by the use of parts from dead bikes. Not all monsters are ugly or terrifying, just different than the average.

1601801100783.jpeg

I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion that you might have been having regarding my build and the way I went with it.

Bike
2010 NT700V
flying skulls and angry eyes on a bike named for a French seaside resort. 🤣

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
flying skulls and angry eyes on a bike named for a French seaside resort. 🤣

That was a different era. Seemed that everyone rode a small motorcycle back in the 1960s. I meet so many people over the years that rode Honda clubs and an assortment of trail bikes.

My first bike was a S90 like the college student was riding in the video. It was a great little bike. It was nearly indestructible. I used to ride mine through the dessert, sometimes making my own roads.

My question is what changed in the 1970s? The masses moved away from riding motorcycles. I’m guessing those kids grew up, started working, and had a family. Motorcycles for the most part didn’t fit into their lives anymore. Also motorcycles got a lot of bad wrap from movies depicting motorcycle riders as trouble makers and outlaws during the late 60s into the mid 70s as well.

Bike
2010 NT700V
That was a different era...
Sure, but at no point since did Honda develop as a "badass" brand. Imagine coming across a Goldwing Aspencade covered in tribal graphics, Punisher skulls, and get-back whips. I would find that hilarious and mildly confusing. I would be even more surprised to learn the owner likes it unironically.

The NT looks like a BMW touring rig for crying out loud. Nothing about the Deauville screams bad dude 'tude. :LOL:

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Sure, but at no point since did Honda develop as a "badass" brand. Imagine coming across a Goldwing Aspencade covered in tribal graphics, Punisher skulls, and get-back whips. I would find that hilarious and mildly confusing. I would be even more surprised to learn the owner likes it unironically.

The NT looks like a BMW touring rig for crying out loud. Nothing about the Deauville screams bad dude 'tude. :LOL:

You are missing the point of the theme. "BADASS" or "BAD 'TUDE" was not where I was headed with this at all.

NaTalie is now a "ZOMBIE" that's were the theme I had in mind. It was either that or go for the "Grunge Look", everything covered in black primer with obscene graphics and subject matter.

Megas, my dual-sport is also a zombie. Reanimated from the dead more than 2 different bikes.

MegasUpdate_01.jpg

MegasUpdate_07.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My question is what changed in the 1970s?
I would say a lot.
Things change very quickly. An average person's life is way different than in the 70's. I am often thinking back how much is changed. I guess that is part of me getting older and reminiscing. Bike specifically huge changes happened also. The manufacturers learned a lot through that time and bikes got better and more reliable. I don't know what happened, maybe the "new" of bikes wore off, maybe we just got too lazy to get out of our air conditioned cars and on 2 wheels in fresh air. Of course also remember that "fresh air is sometimes filled with smoke, cold, or sometimes wet.

Brad

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I would say a lot.
Things change very quickly. An average person's life is way different than in the 70's. I am often thinking back how much is changed. I guess that is part of me getting older and reminiscing. Bike specifically huge changes happened also. The manufacturers learned a lot through that time and bikes got better and more reliable. I don't know what happened, maybe the "new" of bikes wore off, maybe we just got too lazy to get out of our air conditioned cars and on 2 wheels in fresh air. Of course also remember that "fresh air is sometimes filled with smoke, cold, or sometimes wet.

Brad
You had air conditioning back in the 1970s?

My father never owned a car with air conditioning when I was growing up. However, my grandparents did. I remember a time I was shadowing my granddad. I watched him put a can of R12 into his 1965 Chrysler Newport. That had to be 1977 or 1978. It was either 455 or 255 for our air conditioning in the family car. 4 or 2 windows at 55 mph.

The 1977 Plymouth Volaré my father had to be the worst car from my perspective. It was gutless with a 225 slant six. He used to tow a 15’ travel trailer with it. It made all our trips Interesting, to say the least. My father didn’t get air conditioning until he bought a new 1998 Neon.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Latest Update:

I addressed the 2 outstanding scares that needed to be addressed. Retracting the left wind deflector and the top box trim valence.

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

NaTalie is about 90% complete now. By the time I finished the ambient lighting not very good to take decent images. I think I am getting close to revealing the new and improved NaTalie to you all.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I received the good news from eBay saying that my Hepco & Becker crash bars will be possibly delivered tomorrow. I cannot wait to see what they look like. So the reveal will be postponed until I get these installed.

In other news, I have started to compile all the cost of NaTalie’s Rehab.

Here’s how the numbers are looking like.

Parts:
$790 - eBay Parts
$252 - Dealer Parts
$163 - NT Forum Parts
$1,205 - Total

About where I thought I’d be at. More less.

Improvements:
$88 - Graphic
$400 - Upgrades (Crashbar)
TBD - Miscellaneous

All together nearly $1,700 at this moment. Not too shabby considering that was my initial estimates to replace all the damaged Silver bodywork with all new dealer parts. Even if I spend an additional $300, that would be only half of what I received from the insurance company. No corners cut, quality was always paramount during this entire build. I’d call that a complete success.

Top Bottom