Easy Clutch by Moose Racing...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I knew about this item a long time ago and wondered if it'd help Deb because she doesn't have a monster grip in either hand. This is really made for off-road racers/riders where constant clutching is sometimes necessary but I found the ferrule sizes were appropriate for the Honda clutch adjuster and cable end. I first tried it on my bike which was fitted with the Trans-Alp cable for my Rox Risers and really didn't care about the extra-wide loop of cable in front of the instrument panel. This adds 5" to the overall length so it was really a BIG loop!

With the standard clutch cable set-up, it took approx 10 pounds of pull the bring the lever back to the grip. With the Easy Clutch installed and pivot pin in the middle of 3 positions, the required pull dropped to around 6 pounds. And I made the freeplay at the ball end of the lever the same as it was before (approx 15 mm) to make sure everything would be an apples-to-apples comparison.

I rode it in a city environment for 10-15 miles just to see how it worked. The easier pull was expected but what I didn't expect was how it effected the clutch engagement point (aka: "friction zone" in MSF talk). The bike now started to move away from a stop much sooner - no long pause while gradually releasing the lever and wondering where it would start moving. After I got home, I decided to keep it on my bike so I replaced the extra-long, Trans-alp clutch cable with my standard NT cable! And I ordered another Easy Clutch for Deb's bike.

I put it on her bike two weeks later and we took a 100-mile loop. She loved it!

Easy Clutch.JPG

ps. I bought mine through Revzilla. Motion Pro is an American company but this item is Made in Argentina. There are lots of others on the market and most of them have a Chinese shipping address. If you want to see how it works inside, there are plenty of YouTube videos on this item. :)

Last edited:

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
it has been on my Amazon list for quite some time, but I did not feel the need for it on the NT. On the GS yes it is needed.... good to hear a first hand account .. Thanks ...

Q) how did you find out the effort for clutch pull?

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a large dial fish scale that I used long ago to set the preload on steering head bearings. Just put the J-hook on the bottom of the scale over the clutch lever and pull back!

ps. There are a lot of knockoffs of the original Moose Racing design and I much preferred to give Moose the credit and my dollars for their original idea.

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
My best friend when I was in High School back in the early 90s had something similar to that. I do not recall the manufacturer or the brand. He was using it on his Yamaha 650 Turbo Seca that had a Barnett Clutch installed on it. He claimed that made actuating the clutch much easier. He won't ever let me ride that bike either, even though I was a much better rider than he was. šŸ˜•

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Brillot2000 - another solution is to make an extension on the arm that actuates the clutch at the engine side cover. I thought about doing that initially but that arm is welded to the pivot shaft and to do it properly, I'd have to remove the engine side cover and yank the shaft out of the cover....which requires lots of labor, including loosening both head pipes and removing the muffler so I decided to do it via the Moose Easy Clutch. ;)

Top Bottom