What's this hole for???

Mike #1334

I was cleaning the road grim off my drive shaft housing and noticed this hole (see pics). It looks like it was designed to receive a bolt or pin. I just want to make sure something necessary didn't work itself loose and is on the side of the road somewhere. If not, looks like a good place to anchor a bunge hook. Thanks in advance, Mike

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If not, looks like a good place to anchor a bunge hook.
I wouldn't go hooking a bungee cord there as that is part of the drive gear assembly and it will have up and down movement with the rear suspension....

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8684/Model/NT700VA/GroupID/418928/Group/FINAL_DRIVEN_GEAR

It does not look like that "hole" is used on the NT based on the pictures and my shop manual....

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have the same "hole", it does look like something could be attached there. I have an ABS version so I don't think it has anything to do with an ABS sensor. (I hope not anyway)
Thanks.. interesting..

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I suspect Chuck's guess is correct it is probably used on a different model to mount a shock, or other rear suspension component, to the final drive... It is not used on the NT per the service manual...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you look at some of the smaller cruisers in Honda's line, you'll see that the same final drive casting is used across a number of different models. When the hole is used, it's a shock mounting bracket like Chuck said.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
If you look at some of the smaller cruisers in Honda's line, you'll see that the same final drive casting is used across a number of different models. When the hole is used, it's a shock mounting bracket like Chuck said.
I looked... on the VTX 1300 models it's on the bottom but doesn't look like this part. On the VTX 1800 models it's in the same position as these but doesn't look anything like this. I wonder what other bike this is used for.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've seen it on some of the 750cc Honda cruisers, I believe.... and, after checking, it looks as if you can see it pretty clearly in one picture of the 2011 Shadow Spirit.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've seen it on some of the 750cc Honda cruisers, I believe.... and, after checking, it looks as if you can see it pretty clearly in one picture of the 2011 Shadow Spirit.
Ah.. bingo you are correct sir.. I forgot to check that one, thought it was a chain.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
You guys are really fast (or I am old and slow). I noticed the same thing when my 1983 Shadow (2 shock rear suspension) was sitting next to the NT. By the time I went downstairs and took the attached pictures, you were on Page 2! I am sending them anyhow.... but no clue what model shares the hub with the NT.

Enty7

OK Guys, .. time to get serious...
What can we design/fabricate/sell that will fit in that hole?
Nature abhors a vacuum, so come up with something to fill the void!
Take care.
Enty7 - South Africa

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
BMW's have some sort of arm that bolts onto a similar fitting on there shaft drive bikes. It probably has nothing to do with why Honda put it there.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
BMW's have some sort of arm that bolts onto a similar fitting on there shaft drive bikes. It probably has nothing to do with why Honda put it there.
If you read up a bit, the rear end is the same used on the Honda Shadow Spirit bike, on THAT bike, it's used as a shock connection point. Nice to see Honda using one part for multiple bikes, and makes sense. Also nice to know if you ever need that part, you can look for it off the other bike as salvage yards if that's an option.

elizilla

The only farkle I've ever attached to a swingarm is a chain oiler, and we don't need that for the NT.

Anything you put there is going to get filthy. And a hole that size cries for something large and heavy. Perhaps a smaller version of the tool tubes you see on WeeStroms in the space where the DL1000 has a second exhaust pipe. But it would be unsprung weight, and hard to get at, so I think I'll skip it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah... so close to the spinning wheel too.. I can see one of those tool tubes there, with some slotted bracket... didn't even think about it being unsprung.. anything in that thing would need to be cushioned inside, taking up space...

I suppose a rubber plug would at least polish off the look.

Bike
2010 NT700V
OK Guys, .. time to get serious...
What can we design/fabricate/sell that will fit in that hole?
Nature abhors a vacuum, so come up with something to fill the void!
Take care.
Enty7 - South Africa
If you put a couple of guides (like what is on a fishing poles) in the right places, you could run a very long back scratcher or a massager from that hole. Wouldn't THAT feel good on a long ride?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
HAHA, THIS PIC WAS UP ON THE BANNER OF 3. I USED THIS HOLE FOR ATTACHING LUNASEE LIGHT BRACKET. I WIN!!

Top Bottom