Question regarding a strange noise when lifted on center stand

Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
Hi guys,
I have a question - today I was installing my gear indicator and it did require to put the bike on center stand and change the gears while it runs.
Well, everything when smoothly, but the problem is that when it's running on a gear and with the clutch released the bike shakes and sounds like there is something broken banging where the shaft is.
Is it normal? I experienced similar behavior with my previous bikes but they were with chains so I wasn't expecting this. Should I be worried now? Or it's normal...
Thanks for the help
Vlad

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
It should only be that its on the center stand without wheel contacting ground to have some resistance that causes too much slop in the drive train making it sound real bad. I had my Honda PC800 on center stand running and it sounded like that too. Just a loose, back and forth sound from no rear wheel contact.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Have someone apply just a VERY TINY amount of pressure to the back brake. Just enough to bring the pads in contact with the disc. The sound will go away.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The final drive is sorta vocal in overun even riding it is normal

OP
OP
Vlad
Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
Thank you all! I was hoping for this kind of answers ... but you never know.
Now I'll just drive and enjoy my new gear display. :)

Have a nice weekend, and thanks once again.
Vlad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It's not a gear change indicator, but this location worked well for my thermometer/voltage indicator:

Old Bob

Any strange noises, when lifting the NT onto its centre stand, usually come from me.

Top Bottom