Remove tip over bar covers?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Well, I am finally going to go get my Red 2010 tomorrow. Dont know if the straps are going to clear the fairing without rubbing if I come off the lower triple tree. (tie down rings on the floor of the rented uhaul seem a bit far apart for this bike) I may need to utilize the tip over bars as tie down points..Can anyone tell me what kind of screw/bolt is holding the cover on? Someone here told me its a screw but I want to make sure I take the right tool to remove it.
Also, has anyone used "Canyon Dancers" to haul an NT?

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Paul
Sorry to hear that. I have the sam fear of dinging the bike before I even hit the start button.
But I am renting a motorcycle trailer from uhaul, so the ramp is the width of the trailer, which isnt more than 12-18 inches off the ground.
What I am worried about after looking at the trailer is that the angle of the tie downs may be too steep to avoid rubbing the fairing if I tie off on the triple tree. The rings in thr corner of the trailer appear to be too far apart to avoid that. I hope I am wrong.
If I have to, I will tie the triple tree onto the front rail of the trailer, then tie the wings to the front floor rings, then maybe tie off again from the wings staright out to the side rails for lateral stability and so on.
Sounds anal, but if that bike gets one hickey before I get home I will be crushed.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Whatever you do, make sure the straps are not rubbing on any plastic. Even if you put in padding the plastic will crack from any stress at all like that.

I would use the front wings and the rear grab bars. If the rear straps touch the side lids then take the side lids off. Pad the grab bars so you don't scratch the paint and make sure the strap isn't putting any pressure on the latch levers.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I have not personally used the Canyon Dancers but my friend hauled his Beemer 1150 RT from Milwaukee to Western Colorado on a flat bed trailer and swears by them. They worked great.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I got snowed in in Limon, 83 miles from home, a friend with a trailer came and got me. He had a narrow motorcycle ramp and I wondered how we were going to get the bike up the ramp. No way I would have ridden it up. My friend's theory, which would have worked, was for both us to control the bike while he controlled the clutch and throttle and we let the bike pull itself up. We were about half-way up and making pretty good progress when a BMW-riding ex-marine came along and volunteered to help. This gentleman was big and and had done this sort of thing before. He made very sort work of getting it up and on to the trailer.

We used the tip-over bars as an attachment point for our first set of straps and angled those forward. I think they would have held the bike by themselves if we had had a wheel chock permanently attached to the trailer. As it was, we had a wheel chock, but it wasn't very firmly attached. We used it, and then used another strap to the front corners of the trailer through the wheels, and two more straps from the passenger grab rails to the back corner of the trailer. The bike never moved.

When we took it off the trailer, it was a matter of walking it down using the brake. I've since learned that putting the bike in gear with the engine off and using the clutch to back it down a steep hill/ramp works well also.

BTW, when I crossed Lake Michigan on the USS Badger, I had four tie-down straps, hadn't thought about taking the the tip-over bar guards off and didn't want to use the handlebars. I left the bike in gear on the sides stand, used the passenger grab rails and then "X-ed" the other two straps across the seat and honked down on them. Once again, the bike didn't move.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Wheel chock & tip-over bars work well for the NT. Canyon Dancers seem to work better with some bikes than others so use caution if you're going to try a set. Handlebars will surprise you, they're not always as tight as they seem...uh, don't ask me how I know about this.

Best luck,

LL75

PS - The attached photo is of my Ninja but I also use the same chock to transport the NT and it works great. If the trailer rental people can furnish a tie-down system for the chock use it, your bike will ride rock solid.

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You are definitely going the right way. Use the triple clamp and NOT the handlebars.

I am not sure if you'll have clearance issues as it really depends on the hook points on the trailer but what I would do to clear the front fairing on my sport bikes is wrap the strap around the upper portion of the front fork tube on the way up to upper triple. By spiraling the strap (1.5-2 times around was plenty) up the tube you lower the exit point of the strap but still allows the forks to compress and the strap to tighten. Used that method for many a year when transporting my bikes.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Got the bike home in one piece:

Soft ties up thru the fairing and onto the handle bars just outside the clamps...had to run the tiedowns str8 down to the front of the trailer, clearing the fender by millimeters...insulated hooks with microfiber rags.
Tipover wings strapped to the D-rings at the front corners of the trailer AND str8 out to 3 and 9 o'clock, 6 starps in all.
rear end left free
rode like a champ
no tears

taldric

Yeah! So often we only hear the horror stories, the failures, the bloody aftermath. Nice to hear that all your prep and planning paid off!

Bike
NT700va
I have a MC trailer about 5 miles from you. Feel free to borrow it. Sure beats loading in a truck bed.
Russ Foster
214 349 123

Bike
NT700va
Ok, a sticking key left out my number 214 349 1023. Call if you are still needing a trailer.
Russ Foster
rvfoster@att.net

If any of you remember my post about the slip on muffler - the resister plug installed on top of the CO2 has worked well. No need for reprograming with a special chip

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am guessing that Russ in post #14 did not notice the date of the original post.

Top Bottom