First ride thoughts

Suburban

Picked up my red Deauville today!

It's my first bike ever and it's about third bike I have sat on in my life.
I have read a lot of forums, I decided in favour of the Deauville instead of Honda NC700x. This is what I think after a few hours in the saddle:

- it's big :)
- it does look even nicer "in person" then on photos;
- if this gearchange is not "agricultural", then what is? It makes a sound like there is an empty bucket and someone kick's it. Clutch is easy but the lever wobbles;
- my god it vibrates! The only comparision I have is Honda NC700s, which is really smooth. But it does not annoy me and it seems to improve if running higher then 4000 rpm;
- where is this wheather protection I have read so much about? Again, I have no comparision since it is my first bike, I just kind of hoped for the better;
- it does accelerate! For a total bike newbie like me it's enough;
- it feels kind of cheap and sloppy - brake and clutch levels wobble, breakes are not spot on but a little "lazy"... everything works though. It is a second hand bike but it's 2012 machine with only 3 500 km on the clock... how can it be that bad? It feels like a bike I got my licence on - the bike from the driving school where it hits the asphalt few times a day.

Do I regret my purchase? Not a bit! :) I'm looking forward to spend some time with the machine and "to get to know each other".
Like I said - it's my first bike, I'm new to biking alltogether and I'm sure I'll spend some good times cruising around this summer.

And since some say, that it didn't happen if there is not a photo - there (sorry, mobile phone camera):

IMAG0103 (1).jpg
IMAG0102.jpg

Gotta find some tutorial on how to mount Givi mounting rack.

S.

tawilke46

You may want to check with the previous owner, if you can, and find out what maintenance has been done on the bike.
Has anyone checked the oil level, coolant, rear drive oil, clutch adjustment, throttle cable cable adjustment?. Routine stuff, but even with just 3,500km, they still need checking.
Some owners of NT's complain of vibration, but personally, I have never had a problem with it. It does have a high frequency vibe at certain RPM's. Not enough to bother me, however different opinions by different riders.
The windshield is adjustable to 5 positions. Most folks here have purchased after market windshields. May help with wind protection.
As far as size.......compared to a lot of other motor bikes, this one is mid size and weight.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Being your first bike, you really haven't much to compare to. It may "seem" big at first but if you've ever ridden a big v-twin cruiser, it would seem quite small. Personally, I think it is the ideal size for me. Yup, they do look nice, especially the faster red ones (good color choice!). Engaging first gear is somewhat noisy, but not nearly as bad as many bikes (read Harley). Also, you will find that the gear changes/engagement is much quieter after a fresh oil change. The NT has a "shared sump" system so the oil lubes both the engine and the transmission. After not too many miles ~3,000, you will notice that the transmission seems more notchy/noisy. This is due to the oil shearing.... by no means anything to worry about, but more frequent oil changes will make it shift better. As far as vibration, that is very subjective. I for one don't think the the NT vibrates badly at all and is not an issue for me. Some here in the forum find that the vibration is annoying to the point of causing numbness in the hands and lower arms when riding long distances. Compared to many other bikes, it is quite smooth. The weather protection offered by the windshield/fairing is substantial. If you have ever ridden a naked bike in the rain and then ride an NT, you will see what I mean. The fairing/windshield will create a coccoon of rather quiet air around you when riding. At slower speeds you will still get wet but at higher speeds >45 mph the weather protection really comes into play. Some may find it slow, but I rather enjoy the spirited performace of the NT. Plenty of pep for this old fart. I don't think the NT feels cheap and sloppy at all. Yes there is some play in the levers, but in comparison to many other bikes, it is really no different. Is it built like a Swiss watch? No, but it is a quality motorcycle. I think that the more you ride it and accumulate miles, the more you will fall in love with the NT. I would second Tim's suggestion and make sure that all the maintenance is up-to-date. Just ride it, enjoy it and welcome to the NT fraternity!

Mike

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
- my god it vibrates! The only comparision I have is Honda NC700s, which is really smooth. But it does not annoy me and it seems to improve if running higher then 4000 rpm;
Most V-Twins tend to be a bit more buzzy than newer parallel twins. Some foam handle bar grips, or wearing gel palm gloves, will help kill the buzz.

- if this gearchange is not "agricultural", then what is? It makes a sound like there is an empty bucket and someone kick's it. Clutch is easy but the lever wobbles;
First gear can give you a pretty loud "clunk" occasionally...

Engaging first gear is somewhat noisy, but not nearly as bad as many bikes (read Harley).
Sorry to disappoint you but my Harley goes in to first gear much quieter and easier when rolling to a stop than my NT ever did... It must be that new six speed transmission Harley's have...:wink:

If you can not do as Tim suggested and talk to the previous owner, or get documentation from a Honda dealership, I would "assume" that no maintenance has been performed and start out with a complete service check.

Bike
2010 NT700V
About that "sloppiness". Every bike I have ever had was like that. You DO NOT want levers to be snug. You want them to move easily in their mounts. If the the clutch lever is tight, it is putting pressure on the clutch, which might cause it ti slip. Even slight pressure on the brake lever will cause wear and heat build up. If the shifter is adjusted to be snug, it will cause wear on the shift drum. A tight back brake lever will cause the same problems as a tight front lever. They MUST move freely on their pivot points for the same reasons.

Noisy? Like a box of rocks. Never mind. Its a Honda. A lot of us wear ear plugs. Out of sight (or sound), out of mind.

Vibrations? Yup. Foam slides on the grips will ease that a lot. As will a throttle rocker or a cruise control.

Forget all that stuff. Concentrate on RAPIDLY acquiring riding skills. And, the next time you ride, SMILE!!!! That will take care of most of your concerns.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Now that I have passed 6,000 miles, I think the vibration is getting less bothersome. I have also added foam grips and rubber mounted 1" up and 1" back risers that seemed to help.
Don't be afraid to wind it up a little when you feel the need to accelerate. The redline is a little higher than most v-twins and it has some pep up around 5-6 thousand.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+1 to what Dannyjo says. I only very rarely try to accelerate below 3,000 rpm and usually try to keep the revs around 3500 and up. Much smoother and better performance. I'm one of the ones who doesn't think the NT has vibration issues (at least not for me). And it does get smoother, the more miles you put on it.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Come take a ride on my Guzzi. Then you will find out what agricultural, sloppy, and noisy are all about :)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Picked up my red Deauville today!

It's my first bike ever and it's about third bike I have sat on in my life.
I have read a lot of forums, I decided in favour of the Deauville instead of Honda NC700x. This is what I think after a few hours in the saddle:

- it's big :)
- it does look even nicer "in person" then on photos;
- where is this wheather protection I have read so much about? Again, I have no comparision since it is my first bike, I just kind of hoped for the better;
- it does accelerate! For a total bike newbie like me it's enough;
- it feels kind of cheap and sloppy - brake and clutch levels wobble, breakes are not spot on but a little "lazy"... everything works though. It is a second hand bike but it's 2012 machine with only 3 500 km on the clock... how can it be that bad? It feels like a bike I got my licence on - the bike from the driving school where it hits the asphalt few times a day.

Do I regret my purchase? Not a bit! :) I'm looking forward to spend some time with the machine and "to get to know each other".
Like I said - it's my first bike, I'm new to biking alltogether and I'm sure I'll spend some good times cruising around this summer.

And since some say, that it didn't happen if there is not a photo - there (sorry, mobile phone camera):

IMAG0103 (1).jpg
IMAG0102.jpg

Gotta find some tutorial on how to mount Givi mounting rack.

S.
Ear Plugs will solve your noise issue with the bike. And also they will save your hearing, so some day in the future you will be able to hear your grand kids laughing.
It is amazing how smooth running your bike becomes with ear plugs.
Congratulations on the purchase of your new NT (Deauville)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Nice looking bike, Suburban.
I see a few extras the previous owner added.
And you got one of the faster red ones with ABS. Nice.
We're kinda in the same boat; first bike for both of us.
I love mine and can't imagine an easier bike to ride.
However, I keep looking (and fantasizing) at the new Goldwing F6B's.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Suburban

Hey all,

Thanks for Your thoughts.

I think the bike is maintained OK. It is second hand but I bought it straight from the dealer. Have the service book and everything.

Spent some more time with bike, things only get better. I might have some high expectations due to reading reviews and owner oppinions making statements like "excellent", "super smooth" etc but it is as it is and I like it.

Installed a Givi top box yesterday with mounting plate. I work mostly at the office, behind the desk so taking out all my wrenches, taking parts away from the bike and even drilling a hole in the original part :eek: was a big deal for me. Got everything sorted though and I'm ready to ride the bike to work tomorrow. Thank god I'm self employed and do not have to explain anything to anyone :) (getting a motorcycle means you are paid too much, doesn't it?)

Take care,
S

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Congratulations and welcome Suburban,

For me the NT was a second bike, but it was my first "big" bike and first twin. I bought mine new and it seemed to settle in and run smoother somewhere around 4,000 miles or 6500km. I remember it because I was on my second long trip with the bike and it just felt like it came into it's own during the trip. It still had some vibes in places, but I had put foam grips over the stock grips pretty early on. I don't know what brands you have there, but they call them "grip puppies" here. Just some foam really. I liked that the circumference of the grips was larger and better for me. I have put them on all my bikes since except the one I picked up two weeks ago.

Like others have said the NT motor doesn't really like to be below 3,000 rpm, but it should get better after you get some more km on it.

I found the weather protection very good, but my first bike had no fairing or windscreen. I am tall so ran an aftermarket windshield that was a couple inches taller.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its been 6 years since the original post so I assume the poster has sorted out the issues, gotten used to them or sold the bike :)

Top Bottom