Tomorrow is the big day...well, *A* big day...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tomorrow, sometime around 9:30 AM, my brand-new leather Russell DayLong Saddle will arrive at my office. :)

Unfortunately, I will be at a meeting in Denver until about 5:30 PM. :-(

But I'll ride home from the office sitting on it. :))

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Will do! Not only do I get a new saddle tomorrow, but I also get to ride about 250 miles. It's heck living in Colorado during these bitter winters.

We might set a record high temperature tomorrow clear up into the 60s.

Oh, BTW, I'll have a perfectly good stock saddle available for anyone who wants to buy a Russell and doesn't want to give up riding during the build time.

Price: $60 + cost of shipping to Russell when your build-date comes due.

Thanks to Katherine for starting the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Seat."

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The Russell arrived. It looks real good and I'll post some pictures soon. It's tall! I could get both feet flat on the ground with the stock seat (granted, only one foot had a any pressure to speak of), but with this seat, if I touch both feet to the ground, I'm only getting toes down. I think it'll be maneageble and just riding it home and then back to the church and back home, it feels real good.

I raised the windscreen (CeeBailey + 2") from the middle position to next-to-the-top. I think I could take the peg lowerers off, but I won't do that yet.

elizilla

It took about six weeks from the time I ordered mine, until I received it. And I was ordering in spring, when they probably have a longer wait. If you ordered now you might get it a little faster.

Here is a picture of mine:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had placed my order back in September because I got in on a group buy through the FJR Forum and got my saddle for only $538. It looks a whole lot like Katherine's. It feels a tad tall for me (my legs are probably 6" shorter than hers!), but I think it's gonna' be OK. They gave me a December 3 build date and shipped it on December 8.

TCBronson

Hi Phil, thanks for the pics! Great looking seat and it looks really comfortable. Can't wait to see some comparisons to other seats that fit the NT. I really want a new seat or the bead thing.

Attachments

MAC

Katherine your seat looks to have a texture to it, is it differant then Phil's? I know CindiK had hers made of vinyl.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tell us how it feels Phil.
I can tell you that for the whole 5.5 miles I've ridden it so far(1.1 miles 5 times), it feels real good. Russell tells you that it takes between 500-1000 miles for it to "break in." Until then, they say, "...you may experience some noticeable pressure points, particularly at the perimeter of the saddle rim and at the back of your upper thigh. These pressure points will disappear as the spring restraints and foam take a slight set (approximately 5%). Please remember that your saddle supports you in places where you had no contact with your stock seat. This may be mistaken for excessive pressure until you become accustomed to the feel of the 'day-Long' (sic) Saddle."

Oh, BTW, mine is leather, too.

I am going up to the Corbin store at Ormond Beach, FL next week to look at buying one. I have been told that it lowers the seat about an 1/2 inch which I could use.

Jim

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Jim,

Do you have address for the Corbin store? I am going to be in central Florida in a few days and running by their will get me away from the in-laws...

Wayne, here is the address:

Corbin Saddles
1433 North US HWY 1 Ormond Beach, FL 32174
from Interstate 95, just take exit 273 and head south on US 1. They are about 3/4 mile from Destination Daytona and J&P Cycles. Their number is 800.223.4332. They are just north of Daytona Beach.

Jim

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You'll be glad you got leather, I think. I am.

I had a vinyl custom saddle made by Rick Mayer. He told me that if I rode with my 'Stitch on, I'd never notice the difference in leather and vinyl. I might not have "felt" the difference, but I could sure see it. And after a couple of years on the Mayer, the difference in appearance between the way it looked new and the way it looked after a couple of years was major. After five years on the Russell that I had on my Concours, the appearance was still very good. I had worn a seam on the right side where I slide my leg getting on and off, but Russell fixed it for a reasonable sum (I can't remember what "reasonable" means).

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am going to order a Russell now. Will see when they schedule me. When they do I'd be interested in the "traveling seat"

charlie

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie,

I can't remember (Surprise!) if I've outlined the "deal" on the traveling seat for you or not. I paid Katherine $60 for + shipping costs it and she sent it to Russell for me for them to build the seat. That kept me from being seatless for the two/three weeks a build and return takes. I'm asking the same. If you let me know you build date, I'll have it there the week before. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to email/mail copies of your measurements, pix, etc., so that I can enclose them in the box with the saddle. If you uncomfortable with sharing that much, at least let me know you address and phone number.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Phil, that seat looks VERY comfortable. I still think I'll eventually go with the Corbin for the overall riding position equation for me. But that Russell sure looks great!!

Top Bottom