Pic's of Red NT large panniers installed

I kinda of like the look with the Deauville emblem. It looks more professional than the NT 700 tape. It holds a bunch more stuff and was easy to install. Hopefully, I can keep it upright. From the back she/he looks like a battleship! : D

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
nccmpig
I kinda of like the look with the Deauville emblem. It looks more professional than the NT 700 tape. It holds a bunch more stuff and was easy to install. Hopefully, I can keep it upright. From the back she/he looks as wide a a battleship!

:smile:

Jim

MAC

Jim you must have a lot of stuff in the Panniers and top box. The front wheel is off the ground. ; -)

OP
OP
nccmpig
That's because the Red NT's are always ready to rocket! : D

Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Big lids look good on a red NT/Deauville.

Question: Why do people cover their license plate numbers? I'm sure that there's a reason, but I haven't thought of it yet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, that's what I figured, but you can't leave it covered when you're out and about. And there are lots and lots of ways to track me down anyway.

OP
OP
nccmpig
Force of habit to cover the plates, why I don't know. It didn't do me much good covering my plates on the bike when you could see the plates on my Honda Pilot! Duh! I am not sure I would want to put both logos on the panniers, too busy. I know others are wondering what the h**l kind of bike is that thing! : D

Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I ordered them from Bike Bandit. I may not use them, but I'll have the option.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
One word PRIVACY I believe is the answer. It's too easy to track people down....
I can understand if you are doing something illegal and then posting your plate is kind of silly.
PARANOIA seems to be contagious.

Duck59

Nice looking Deauville. Jim, is the Corbin seat much more comfortable than the original? How tall are you? I was also thinking of a modified seat. I am 185 centimeters. Do you have gel pad in your Corbin seat?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
In the UK the plates are covered to stop Cloning! There is a cloning epidemic in the UK, not just bikes but cars, vans, trucks you name it.

elizilla

JQL, in the UK you are assigned a number and you have your own plates made. As a result there are variations in the appearance of the plates. But in the USA you get the plates themselves from the same entity that assigned the numbers - they all come off the same assembly line. When you register your new-to-you vehicle, they give you the next plate in the stack they have there behind the counter, and put that into the computer on your record. They are metal stamped with the numbers and then painted with specific paints. They have exactly the same colors, same font, same kerning, same shape, etc, and then there are special reflective stickers on the corners that change each year. Which is not to say they couldn't be cloned - just that they're a bit outside of what any random sign shop would already have equipment to make. Hard to not have them look subtly wrong.

And since our traffic enforcement is still mostly done by live police officers instead of cameras, having subtly wrong plates would probably increase your chance of a traffic cop stopping you.

The more typical license plate crime you hear about, here, is people stealing the whole plate off a parked vehicle. Or cutting the corners off to take the little annual stickers.

I know a guy who had a green Camaro. One day he came out of his apartment to drive to work, and noticed his car had the wrong license plate number. He called the cops and it turned out that the plate on his car was registered to another green Camaro that had been reported stolen. He didn't know how long it had been on there - how often do you check that your license plate number hasn't changed? But it's probably good that he noticed it before a cop did. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Igo

No need for a jell pad in the Corbin. It's wonderful the way it is.

Igo

JQL, in the UK you are assigned a number and you have your own plates made. As a result there are variations in the appearance of the plates. But in the USA you get the plates themselves from the same entity that assigned the numbers - they all come off the same assembly line. When you register your new-to-you vehicle, they give you the next plate in the stack they have there behind the counter, and put that into the computer on your record. They are metal stamped with the numbers and then painted with specific paints. They have exactly the same colors, same font, same kerning, same shape, etc, and then there are special reflective stickers on the corners that change each year. Which is not to say they couldn't be cloned - just that they're a bit outside of what any random sign shop would already have equipment to make. Hard to not have them look subtly wrong.

And since our traffic enforcement is still mostly done by live police officers instead of cameras, having subtly wrong plates would probably increase your chance of a traffic cop stopping you.

The more typical license plate crime you hear about, here, is people stealing the whole plate off a parked vehicle. Or cutting the corners off to take the little annual stickers.

I know a guy who had a green Camaro. One day he came out of his apartment to drive to work, and noticed his car had the wrong license plate number. He called the cops and it turned out that the plate on his car was registered to another green Camaro that had been reported stolen. He didn't know how long it had been on there - how often do you check that your license plate number hasn't changed? But it's probably good that he noticed it before a cop did. :)
IGOHIKN and
IGO

I would probably notice. LOL.

Top Bottom