Help? Bridgestone Battleax BT020 and Fork Seals?

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Bought my 2010 NT700V with 3800 miles 5 weeks ago. It now has 4750 miles on it. (Been practicing) The front tire (Bridgestone Battleax BT020) has bumps on it. Not like blisters, but bumps. Seems a bit soon to be wearing out the front don't it? Could it be my incorrect riding position? Maybe the BT020 was just a bad tire? (Going for the Michelin PR3 as replacement, only because around this forum they seem to get good reviews.)

Until the last 200 miles, or so, my butt was getting numb until I finally figured out that I was sitting way too far forward on the seat. I doubt that 1000 miles sitting 4/5 inches too far forward will put an excessive amount of weight (I weigh 190 without riding clothes) on the front tire, but it has been hot, hot, hot lately...
(Now I make sure that my hiney is back against the back "angle" of the drivers seat. Once I did this, I felt less cramped and my legs didn't seem to get so tired. I still feel like I'm leaning too far forward and heavy on the bars, even after adding ML risers. Obviously Im a neophyte and just need to get used to riding and this bike. I'm going to try just rotating the bars up a smidgen.)

ok, next question...
My fork seals are leaking, leaving oil on the fork. Could that be that the used bike was sitting and they've dried out? I'm going to have them replaced, but I'm curious if anyone is aware of another possible cause?

AND FINALLY...
What the hell are the little hoses sticking out near my shifter? Of course my ignorant thought is that they are supposed to be connected to something important. (Or maybe just a drain of some kind?)

Thanks...I got more questions, but I think 3 is enough for 1 thread!

Attachments

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Re: Help? BRIDGESTONE BATTLEAX BT020 and FORK SEALS?

The tyres are probably 5 years old or more so replace them. PR4 are really good. IMHO better than the PR3!
Try cleaning the gap between the fork and seals with one of these you never know.
The hoses are (from front to back) Fuel tank drain, radiator overflow and Fuel tank breather hose

Last edited:
OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT

Wow JQL! I'll try the fork seal cleaner! Thanks! Maybe I'll do some comparing with the Michelins...

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Your tire wear is not due to your riding position. Almost all of my front tires cup to some degree. I've used Avons, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, and Metzlers. You pretty much get what you pay for in tires. Michelins have been good, but my current set of PR4 are wearing out in half the mileage of my last set of PR4s. I suspect they made a bad batch, because other users have better longevity. I found the best prices from Jake Wilson. New tires of almost any brand seam wonderful. It is the last 5K miles or so of the tire that are the telling. Keep an eye on your tire inflation.

Cleaning the fork seals may or may not work, but it is certainly worth a try.

Bar risers are a common modification on the NT.

And don't worry about the hoses unless they consistently leak something.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
After having to replace my second fork seal, I decided to protect the forks a bit more than the bug-deflectors do and added Triumph fork gaitors when I had the fork seals and bushing replaced at about 50K miles. I just had the seals replaced again at about 99K miles. They weren't leaking but I decided new fork oil was probably in order and seal replacement seemed to make sense too. The bushings were OK.

Top Bottom