[How To] Home made mounts to place Denali (or other) lights near the mirrors

elizilla

(originally posted on other forum, 8/1/2010)

I took advantage of the cool rainy day we had yesterday to start work on some mounting brackets for my Denali lights. As usual, though, it's taking me longer than expected to make this stuff. I didn't get to ride anywhere today, except to the hardware store. Instead I spent many hours crouched over an angle grinder and a bench grinder. But I have the lights mounted!

Here's a front view. You can see the lights are close to the mirror stalks, but they are not obscured by them. They also do not interfere with the movement of the stock windshield, but there is NO extra room there, so if you have an aftermarket shield it might interfere.

And here is a close-up view of the mount. I cut a piece of aluminum flat stock about five inches long, and drilled three holes. Two of them fit in between the stock mirrors mounts and the bracket they bolt to. I had to get longer mirror mount screws. Also I put washers under the flat stock pieces to lift it up just a hair, so it won't touch the plastic in places where it shouldn't. The third hole was for the M10 brackets that came with the lights. I put in a spacer to lift them off the flat stock to lift the lights clear of the mirror stalks and make room for the windshield to move.

There is enough range of adjustment that they can be aimed, but I expect it'll be fiddly since they only move on two diagonal axes, instead of a left/right and an up/down. No big deal; it's not like you have to constantly re-aim them.

I suppose it will improve the view from the mirrors, slightly, since they are lifted about a quarter inch.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to route the wiring, and wire them up.

OP
OP

elizilla

And here's a picture of them wired up and lit:

And yes, they are brighter than my headlight. :)

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
So, now that I'm getting interested in wiring electrical stuff, I'm curious. How did you wire them up?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Katherine,

I have a question. Not about your Denalis or their mounting, but about your insertion of picture into your postings. Mine are always there as "thumbnails;" yours are full-size. How do you do that?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Katherine,

I have a question. Not about your Denalis or their mounting, but about your insertion of picture into your postings. Mine are always there as "thumbnails;" yours are full-size. How do you do that?
Phil, She is linking to a photo hosting site, like Flickr, instead of using thumbnails... That allows a larger photo to be displayed as it is not stored here tying up server space...

OP
OP

elizilla

Herb,

I made a little notch in the edge of the black plastic instrument surround, just below each light. I routed the wires through those holes, and down into the fairing. Inside the fairing I carefully routed them along supported paths, with cable ties to hold them in place, and linked them together in under the plastic on the left side of the bike. The Denalis came with their own wiring harness and relay with high quality waterproof connectors and appropriate wire runs for all this, so it was easy. The Denali instructions made a huge point of only using their supplied wiring harness and relay and not modifying it, so I ran a wire from my (switched) accessory block, to operate the Denali relay. The power connectors then had to go straight to the battery. The Denalis also came with a waterproof switch, which is a little pushbutton that has double-sided tape to stick it on any flat surface. I stuck it on top of the box that holds the controllers for my heated grips and my jacket, which was already sitting on a perch on the handlebar near my left hand. I routed the wire with the wires for my heated jacket, down the bars and into the fairing, held in place with still more plastic cable ties. There's a spot in the harness that this wire plugs into, and I plugged it in there.

If the Denalis hadn't come with this extremely high quality wiring harness, if they'd just had the typical crap that comes in a $30 box of foglamps from Autozone, I'd have made my own harness. I'd have used a panel mount waterproof switch from a marine store, and drilled a hole somewhere in the bodywork to install it - I'm not afraid to drill holes. :) And I would have just powered the lights from my accessory fuse panel since it's already relay switched. But the supplied wiring harness works just fine, and I liked the quality, so I used it despite it being slightly more complex than I thought truly necessary.

Top Bottom