The next midsize Honda Tourer?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I may get flamed for this but......... The gen three FJR and the gen two Supper T from Yamaha have a electronic cruise control to die for. Smooth as a baby's but.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I don't why anyone would flame you for mentioning the bikes standard equipment. The cruise control I was referring to came on my Tiger 800 XCx. In 2015 the Tiger 800s were updated to a throttle by wire and the upper tier models come from the factory with an electronic cruise control that works exactly like a car cruise control. Like you said "Smooth as a baby's butt". I know a throttle lock on a DR650 won't quite be the same, but I have just gotten so accustomed to being able to rest the right hand on the highway.

I made the earlier post just to say, that my personal "want" list for a motorcycle used for any longish highway trips, let alone touring, would have some ability to rest the right hand as the most important. I can live with little fairings, chain drives, and soft luggage.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
After having a real cruise control (the Audiovox with vacuum actuation) on my two Connies, it was high on my list when I got the NT. I made do with a Throttlemeister for a couple of years, but the Rostra electronic cruise control is either #1 or #2 on my "Favorite Farkle List." The Rostra is smooth and more accurate than the cruise controls on either of my wife's last two cars (an Altima and a CR-V).

The Russell Daylong saddle is the other top farkle.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I had a BMW CLC with cruse, and it worked great: on the 4 lanes, I almost never ride. In the roads I like best I found it was little use on the curvy roads I always try and ride. In hilly areas I would not use 6th gear with the cruse.
Cruse is great on 4 lanes, not worth much in twisties.

ett

This thread might not be the best place for it, but I would like to read about your rides throughout the country on the GSXR. What challenges did it present riding a "sport bike" through that many states. Was it all one trip or multiple trips? Did you modify the bars and seat to have a more upright or comfortable position? Sounds like you yourself have proved the saying "You can tour on anything!".

My new acquisition has cruise control. I have "toured" without cruise control for years, but my first long highway trip using cruise made me place cruise control first on my want list for a touring motorcycle. I like it so much, I might even put a throttle lock on my little DR650.
There really were no challenges. Just lubing drive chain every day on vacations was kinda a PITA.
The only modifications I did to the GSXR were:

Early in it's life:
  • braided brake lines
  • frame sliders
  • replaced stock windscreen with a sport-touring windscreen
  • Kuryakyn LED volt meter
  • 1.0 fork springs

Very late in it's life:
  • Stebel Compact Nautilus air horn
  • TUTORO chain oiler

I find the seating position of a sport bike with rear-sets and clip-ons to be comfortable.
The only reason I bought the taller windscreen. Is because the stock screen was actually shorter than my tankbag.
And being 6' 3"; the air flow off the stock screen hit me directly in the neck.
So when it rained; I would have water blowing up into my fullface helmet. :(

Before buying a house; and before the recession hit. I had a job with 4 weeks off every year.
I would take the three full weeks off in Sept after Labor Day, strap camping gear to my GSXR and go riding on a slightly planned vacation.
Planning amounted to which region of North America I wanted to ride and what sites I were in that region. Otherwise I just rode.
I averaged about 3,000 miles per week. Mostly because I knew these 3 week long vacations would not last forever. So I usually blasted through the central part of the U.S. and Canada without stopping.
And for the fourth week; whatever days I did not use for snow days from work over the Winter. I had to use before April.
So I used those remaining days to take a vacation in the last week of March. Usually in the South East U.S.

Here's a link to some photos:
http://trimmer.org/~eric/eric_mc_travels.html
Please forgive the bad web design. I'm not a web developer and I wrote it mostly using "vi".
Also forgive the slowness; it's on a PC sitting on my bedroom floor.

Sorry for side-tracking this thread.
Especially concerning travels not on an NT.
I wonder what these vacations would have been like if I had my Griso or NT back then.

--ET

ps. mods please move to another thread you feel is appropriate.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have a Throttlemeister on my C14 and just ordered a Kaoko for the NT. I have some arthritis in my hands and a throttle lock gives me a break. I also try to stay off the freeways. On our 1750 mile trip to New England last month I used the Winding Road option on my Tom Tom. On the leg from NW Pa. to southern Vermont, 465 miles we only rode 17 miles on freeways.

Bottom line, I can live with a throttle lock. BB

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
"You can tour on anything!".
My older brother is in his mid 60s and has done over 60,000 miles of touring all over the upper 48 on of all things, a Hayabusa! So yes, you CAN tour on any bike. The bike is 100% stock and he has one fake knee and one bad knee and still travels on the 'Busa

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had a friend I met at the Honda dealer in Denver who did much the same on his 'Busa. I've got another friend who does the same kind of thing on his Kawasaki ZX14R. I think those two bikes are much more comfortable than, say, the ZX10R.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
You can tour on a bicycle (many do), but I like protection from the rain, and cold that make a touring motorcycle. Before I purchased the NT I looked at the F800 and none have the protection of the NT: R1200RT had good protection at 3 times the cost. Many people tour on naked motorcycles, and hide under a bridge when it rains: few ride in 30 degree weather. The Honda CTX does not have a good of protect I don't think (only sat on one never ridden one),

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
It took just long enough to develop the muscle memory to work the switches without looking for me to fall in love with the cruise control on my FJR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom