Tank Bag - Magnetic? Or Mounted on the Gas Cap?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I always (almost) have a magnetic bag on my motorcycles, with a clear section for notes etc. Some have GPS compartment, and if I replace mine some day I might look for one with that feature (even if I don't use it to often as I have a Ram mount). I never had it move even when my knee give out and fall over, (happen twice on NT and couple of times on BMW which has a leather cover over tank). They have improved the magnets over the years, and they are much stronger. It is a very hard pull to remove my bag from tank.
I think my is an older one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-8230-0505-12-Black-Super-Magnetic/dp/B008RAASGG/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1448408782&sr=8-24&keywords=magnetic+motorcycle+tank+bag

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My strong preference is the magnetic one. I have a Chase Harper. The zipper failed on the first one after about 10 years and they replaced the whole bag for free. I'm happy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll be the dissenter here. I've got two of the SW-Mototech bags that use the gas cap ring and I've been very, very happy with them. I'd had a magnetic tank bag on my Connies and had it actually blow off up in Wyoming. Seems to me that Rick's (used to be FalconAF on the Forum) had a magnetic bag blow off when we were on our way across Shirley Basin between Medicine Bow and Casper year before last. I always made a point of trying to keep both the bottom of the tankbag and the tank itself clean, but still had some fairly deep scratches on my 2nd Connie.

I've got a few minor marks on top of the tank with my gas-cap ring bag, but nothing that wouldn't wax right out.

I've got the City bag and the Daypack. I use the City bag on longer trips and, to tell the truth, most of the time. I put my Camelback 2-liter bladder in it, and it holds my coffee travel cup, my lemon drops, my garage door opener, my hearing aids, maps (the SW-Mototech map pocket fits all of their bags and is wide enough to fit almost every map I've got with two whole folds showing) and other odds and ends.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, by the time you've ridden a few miles with stuff in the tank bag, the gap you're talking about isn't visible.

When my magnetic tank bag blew off, I was doing about 80mph up somewhere in Wyoming and had a 40-50mph crosswind with higher gusts. When Rick's blew off it was much the same kind of weather and speed.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When my magnetic tank bag blew off, I was doing about 80mph up somewhere in Wyoming and had a 40-50mph crosswind with higher gusts. When Rick's blew off it was much the same kind of weather and speed.
Are you guys using the front retaining safety strap all tank bags I've seen come with? That makes them very hard to blow "off"...:wink: FWIW I used magnetic tank bags on the Autobahn and never had one blow off, or even move around, at speeds well above 80MPH....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I had my magnetic bag blow off only once. It was in Montana on the interstate in a sudden storm with very high side winds. And, like Wayne says, the safety strap held on the bike. I've been guilty of not connecting the quick release buckle on the safety strap either because I forgot or just didn't care. But I usually take the time to connect it so becomes my habit. Mine never moved at near maximum speed with the wind screen fully down. I beleive a side wind has to be near 40 - 50 mph or more to move it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like the magnetic variety and have a retaining strap. I use the clear window for my "Handicap Plate" which allows me to park close to stores. The bag I use came from Wal Mart and was used on my Kawa Ninja and the NT. I'll replace it this spring because the plastic window is cracking and the black nylon is now faded quite

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I still have a strap on bag. Use it on the Goose and I used it on my NT as well. Although I did have a smaller magnetic bag and it was nice for little things. But, I like to put my map on the tank bag so larger is better :) I never liked the tank ring style for some reason, and I can't use it with the Goose so that's a non-issue for me. And the paint on the Goose is so scratched I don't even bother cleaning the bag or even making sure it is tight.

I did not use the tether with the magnetic bag, but, it was small enough, with magnetic 'wings', that there was little probability it would come off. If using a larger bag, like my bigger Nelson Rigg, then a tether would be required.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Dissenter #2...I have a Cortech Dryver in the small size with the ring mount. I only carry a few things in the bag like my wallet, a 4"X4" piece of wood for a kickstand pad, flashlight, tire gauge, pocket knife, snacks, etc. The bag is waterproof , I also have the map pocket that attaches to the top, the map pocket is not waterproof. Most tank bags use a rain cover, no need here. There is also options for GPS mount, and an organizer that snaps on top. The bottom is arched and matches the curve of the tank. It is also adjustable so you can move it forward or backward about 2". Some reviews say the zippers break, I've had mine for two years and if you don't rip at it all is fine. All zippers that are waterproof work a little harder so they seal. I got mine from Revzilla, its a little expensive $150.00 for the small and $20.00 for the ring. You need the Honda ring that attaches with 7 bolts.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Amen to the Cortech Dryver with the fuel cap ring. I have had mine for 3 years and it works great.

Mike

Bike
Silver NT700V
I am with Phil on this. I have ring mounted bag with map case I got from Twisted Throttle. I believe it is a SW Motech. I have no issues and it removes and remounts is about two seconds (literally). This makes it superb for refueling and there are no marks on the tank. It does have a safety strap but I have rarely used it.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I coldn't ride with my tank bag. On this cold wintery day I checked my tank bag and here is what I found:

Registration, Proof of Insurance, Owners Manual, Sun glasses, Reading glasses, Copy of Rider Assistance list, AMA card, Cable and lock for helmet and suit, Side stand pad, Cord for electric vest, Cord for GPS, Cord for cell phone, Flashlight, Bic lighter, Sun screen, Chap stick, GPS, GPS cradle, Cell phone cradle, Bandana, Ear plugs, Cork screw for wine bottles, Piece of rope, Notebook and pencil, Lens cleaning fluid and wipes, Duct tape, Zip ties, About 6 maps, Change for parking meters, And about 100 gas receipts.

And when I go on a trip I stuff even more things in there (somewhere). Don't even ask what is all the pockets of my "Stich".

I don't have a top case and I don't miss the weight of one either.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I only put the tank bag on when I am on a trip. Otherwise all that stuff goes in a glove compartment or trunk.

On a trip the tankbag carries my rain pants, 1st aid kit, drugs, hand wipes, cords, pen, extra gloves, my sun hat (along with a bunch of other little stuff). Anything I want to get to quickly and doesn't really matter if stolen (everything in it is easily replaceable when on the road). Everything else is in a locked case.

Before I put boxes on the Guzzi, the tankbag was my 'briefcase' when going to work. It carried all my 'essentials' for the day and my laptop. Used it every day for three years. Once I got cans mounted on the bike the tank bag is used only for trips.

I did take one trip without a tank bag. It worked ok, but, I missed having a map where I could read it. Even with a GPS (or two) I like having a map. So, these days the tank bag is there mainly to hold my mapcase and provide a nice place to rest my arms when tired.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Fuelcap ring !!!! 50,000 miles without problem, it may takea few times toof putting it back on and they it was fantasic.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Like some others here, I like the SW Motech gas cap ring bag on my NT, but mine is only the City bag - meaning rather small. I like it that way - it keeps me from putting too much junk in it. I only use it on trips and the release mechanism has never given me any trouble.

Why did I pick one gas cap ring bag? Simply because I never wash my bike - well, almost never. In other words, it is not unusual for the tank to be dirty. Dirt means scratches if I'm using a magnetic.

I'm starting out on a 3,500 mile trip in the morning, and I already know I will be in a lot of rain. The bag will probably get soaked, but at least I won't have to worry about scratches.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I coldn't ride with my tank bag. On this cold wintery day I checked my tank bag and here is what I found:

Registration, Proof of Insurance, Owners Manual, Sun glasses, Reading glasses, Copy of Rider Assistance list, AMA card, Cable and lock for helmet and suit, Side stand pad, Cord for electric vest, Cord for GPS, Cord for cell phone, Flashlight, Bic lighter, Sun screen, Chap stick, GPS, GPS cradle, Cell phone cradle, Bandana, Ear plugs, Cork screw for wine bottles, Piece of rope, Notebook and pencil, Lens cleaning fluid and wipes, Duct tape, Zip ties, About 6 maps, Change for parking meters, And about 100 gas receipts.

And when I go on a trip I stuff even more things in there (somewhere). Don't even ask what is all the pockets of my "Stich".

I don't have a top case and I don't miss the weight of one either.
I would wager I could make a good guess

At least as to some of the items Jim.;)

most liley similar to some od mine!!

Eldon

Last edited:
Top Bottom