Center Tire Wear

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hello Fellow NT Riders, Unfortunately my commute involves long, straight roads without much twists and turns. This causes my tires to wear with very wide flat spot in the middle and the sides of the tread are nearly new when the tire wears out. I know the obvious cure is to get out to some twisty roads...and I do, but the commute is just too much to overcome. Are there any tires made for this purpose? Maybe a harder compound near the center? Thanks...and Happy Thanksgiving!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Quite a few of the tires have multiple compounds (usually, AFAIK, just two), a hard compound in the center and softer rubber on the outsides. But even though I've got some twisties not too far away, I still put most of my miles on riding straight lines, and none of the hard compounds seem capable of resisting the flat center syndrome.

Michelins had worked well through a set or two of PR3s and the first couple of sets of PR4s, but the last set of PR4s was toast at less than 8K miles. I've got Bridgestone T30s on now, and at 8K, they're looking pretty good, but there's a flat spot in the center. Jim Rau, jumpingjim on the Forum, doesn't think the T30s have the great traction, but I've been happy with mine wet and dry.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Some of the riders on the FJR forum have complained about unusually quick tire wear with PR4's. Of course, FJR's are heavier, more powerful, and usually ridden more aggressively.

While not a tire engineer, I suspect the horizontal siping that gives the PR4 it's great rain performance may lead to unusual tire wear.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I am so disappointed in PR4 I going to try Nankang Roadiac. I did some checking on web and don't find much about these but what I do seems a people are happy with these.
A set is equal to the rear alone that has 8K and my bike and is not flat. I will fix it is possible, but it has 8K and I would need to replace before touring next season. I do not ride 2 up and really don't think I over load the NT. I think the PR4 are a waste for the price, PR3 I got about 11K before I change in the spring (still could of road around town but planned a 4k trip), the PR4 I would not get close to that. I be the test dummy I guess for these on the NT, if I get one season I will be happy.
http://www.amazon.com/NANKANG-ROADIAC-70ZR17-FRONT-Motorcycle/dp/B00BJBASM4

One review
[url]http://www.ctaaustralia.com.au/node/13

[/URL]

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I was communicating about tyres on another forum with someone who used to work for Michelin, his recommendation is to over inflate the PRs by 2 psi front and rear. He did say you could go to 3 psi over but, that may not be suitable for everyone as it depended on climate, ambient and road temperature etc.

I am currently running mine 2 psi over on the front and 1 psi over on the rear with the suspension set quite firm (personal ride preference). They seem to be doing well so far. My commute is mostly Autoroute (highway), P?riph?rique (ring-road) with a little bit of twisties and city riding for some clients.

My preference for tyres is excellent grip in all weathers. The PR4s give me superb grip in all conditions. With PR4s, I can ride my NT in the wet like I used to be able to ride in the dry when she was shod with BT021.

Longevity is a bonus. Remember, you only have a tiny patch of rubber between the pavement and the bike. If you sacrifice grip for longevity you better be ATGATT!

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am so disappointed in PR4 I going to try Nankang Roadiac. I did some checking on web and don't find much about these but what I do seems a people are happy with these.
A set is equal to the rear alone that has 8K and my bike and is not flat. I will fix it is possible, but it has 8K and I would need to replace before touring next season. I do not ride 2 up and really don't think I over load the NT. I think the PR4 are a waste for the price, PR3 I got about 11K before I change in the spring (still could of road around town but planned a 4k trip), the PR4 I would not get close to that. I be the test dummy I guess for these on the NT, if I get one season I will be happy.
http://www.amazon.com/NANKANG-ROADIAC-70ZR17-FRONT-Motorcycle/dp/B00BJBASM4

One review
[url]http://www.ctaaustralia.com.au/node/13

[/URL]
See test report below.
http://www.nankangmoto.com/MTC_test_Nankang_Roadiac_english.pdf

Last edited:
Bike
I going to order the Nankang tires, I not a aggressive rider. I am getting tired of paying for inferior tires for Michelin, Metezler, and a like. If it a premium tire that cost twice as much it should be better, and I do not feel that is what customers are getting. I made a mistakes and the past and sure I make more while I aged: good thing is I forget most of my failures. Like a fisherman, I caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The test was fascinating. I don't know that I would ever feel some of the subjective differences they felt, and then to have objective numbers to put beside those is impressive. I wonder if they've got tests on the PR3s and PR4s...

Bike
I most likely will not purchase tires until almost spring. I just hate the fact that unlike Discount Tires with car tires, you have a issue they help you find a solution. With motorcycle tires you don't get the same support from the dealer usually, they don't live on tire sales like a auto tire store does.
I will be trying to patch the tire and so if I get a chance to ride, I can. I will need to replace my $180 tire with what I feel is too few miles on the clock. I might even purchase PR3 for the rear as the front looks fine. I might try Metzeler Roadtec, has a good reports.

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Reading the report, especially the parts about the wet, as I live in an area where it rains frequently, I wouldn't touch Nankang tyres with a barge pole.

Less grip than BT023 :eek1:
Unsafe cornering with slight slip at both wheels during transition from wet to dry track :eek1::eek1:

Read: dangerous tyres to put on any bike.

Even if you live in a desert it does sometimes rain and then you'll pray you're wearing brown trousers as you enter the corner...

OP
OP
krenzcar88
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for all the responses guys...looks like I'll just have to get up in the canyons a little more. And I won't be skimping on tires. Never have, never will.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Shinko. Used to be Yokohama. Used their tires now for a few years and like them. I get about 8k miles out of a rear tire for less than $100. It squares off pretty badly by 7k so I usually replace it early. I still use a Pirelli Sport Demon on the front and it usually gets 12k. Cupped by 10k but not enough to worry or cause problems. It also does well in the wet. Better than the BT-45 Battleaxes. Not as good as the Sport Demon. But, the Sport Demon on the rear gets the same mileage at much more cost. So, I slow down just a tad when it is wet.

I am not able to use the 'modern' stuff like PR's since I have weird tires sizes to work with. Since the Shinkos work then I haven't bothered with any others.

There are a couple of 'canyon racers' up here who use Shinkos on their sport bikes and like them. Their comments are along the lines of, 'I only lose a few tenths on the run but I don't worry about scrubbing them hard cause they are so inexpensive'.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I was communicating about tyres on another forum with someone who used to work for Michelin, his recommendation is to over inflate the PRs by 2 psi front and rear. He did say you could go to 3 psi over but, . . . .
Which is what I do - over inflate a little.

Since the OEM tires, I've averaged between 13,500 and 14,000 on my rear tires - and there is always usable tread left. (And I mean safe tread left - I don't mean running them down to the cord.) But, it also seems that just about time I get set for a long ride, I see that the rear tire will probably not last the length of the trip, so I put new ones on before I go.

But - the OP's question was about the flat center of the tire. There has hasn't been a motorcycle tire I've heard of that will not wear flat and leave plenty of side tread if you do most of your riding on the slab. Even the dual-compound tires do that - just to a lesser extent than the single compound.

Bike
I went to Amazon and found a set of Metzler for $217 shipped, almost a $100 less then the set of Michelin PR I got last spring.

Attachments

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Until I got a pair of PR3's every rear tire I have used on any bike squared off at about the 6-8k point. EVERY front tire 'shaved' off the sides at the 8-10k point (or cupped, depending on the bike).

Until the PR3, if a tire gripped well, especially in the wet, it would wear out before 8k on the rear and 12k on the front. It a tire gripped REALLY well it was toast at about 6k or less.

Unless you ride in the twisties (or on the track) a LOT and push the bike HARD your rear tire will square off and the fronts will wear on the sides.

But, I do think the tire mfgs are in a tough spot. We want excellent traction and good life. The two are mostly not compatible. I think the tire mfgs have found that 'we' are willing to accept tires that last 8-10k so they formulate a tread that will grip well, yet last that long. I wonder why Michelin changed the PR3 so much when they made the PR4. Maybe they wanted a tire that gripped more and didn't last as long?

FWIW, car tires are no different except in the wear pattern. You can have excellent grip or long life. Not both. If you haven't experienced a really grippy car tire, and want to drop a couple thousand, try it sometime. Will open your eyes about how well tires can work too, especially if you get some rain tires and drive in the wet. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The T30's are pretty new so while a couple of members have put some on I don't think they have worn through a pair yet to determine longevity.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The T30's are pretty new so while a couple of members have put some on I don't think they have worn through a pair yet to determine longevity.
I've got about 7,500 on mine and the rear is 60% worn according to depth to wear bars measurements. But the rate of wear may go down now that the initial squaring off is done. The bike is stored now till spring so I won't know for another 6 months or so.

My son got a little over 8,000 miles on his T30s, but that was on a C14 that weighs at least another 100 pounds and has twice the horsepower of an NT.

Bike
Metzeler ordered, $217 delivered, about $100 less then the PR3/4 I last purchased. I should order a second set for following year at that price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom