Center Tire Wear

OP
OP
krenzcar88
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Great info guys. Thanks. I notice the T30 "GT" is available for the front in stock 120 70 17 but for the rear all I can see is the 150 60 17 instead of the 150 70 17. The regular T30 (non GT)comes in the 150 70 17. Would anyone suggest the GT and is there any issue running the 60 instead of the 70 on the rear? I'm thinking just getting the T30 with the stock aspect ratio (70).

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
is there any issue running the 60 instead of the 70 on the rear?
I asked that question last summer - no response.
They may fit, but I think you woiuldn't like the ride.

Would anyone suggest the GT
Not me. I used the regular T30s and I can tell you they are a very stiff tire. When I mounted them they were definitely harder to manipulate than the PR4s which I replaced. I think, but others don't agree, that the stiffness of the T30s contributes to a slightly harsher ride than the more supple PR4s. But with some use that seems to have subsided (or I just got used to it). I assume the GTs are even stiffer.

The GTs are for heavier bikes and loads. So unless you are riding with 2 up all the time I'd go with the regular T30s in the stock size.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
here is my latest tire mileage chart. took off a rear 10/2015, took off a front 11/2015. best for front is Dunlop Roadsmart2, rear best is PR4. not trying anymore, I think I have the best wearing tires

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
My Metzler Roadtec (rear; I guess front will be here soon but don't need to install unless to match brands) arrived today (2 day shipping), has a much deeper grooves then the Michelin PR3/4, and the original tires. I don't mount my tires so I can not tell you how hard that would be. I know lots of BMW riders use Metzler tires, so I hoping to get good results. I ride Avon AM21 on the '84 BMW R100RT at present, but don't use that machine very often. I went to Avon because the Metzler Lasertec (size requirement 3.50) has a groove right down the center of the front tire: which follow rain grooves not very pleasant . I really should ride it more, but it is much harder to start in cold weather and I guess I just always jump on NT and more mileage. I really like both rides, they are some what similar, and both get many second looks. Most thing both are BMW's, and I guess they are kind of brothers in design uses.

OP
OP
krenzcar88
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Wow...you get very good mileage Woodaddict. I'm going to look into this combination. And Thanks for the info on the GT's...

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I used to run Metzlers exclusively on my sports bikes. I lived in the English Lake District where the roads are a Biker's dream, so mileage wasn't as good. I would get about 3,000 miles from a rear and about 4,500 from the front. Grip was phenomenal in the dry and good in the wet.

I prefer the Michelins PR4s on the NT as they seem to suit the bike and give me incredible levels of grip in the wet.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I finally got around to checking out rear tire to find the hole. Round and round it goes, of course on the edge of the tread: no way to repair. I did put a screw in tire hole to keep inflated enough to put on trailer. I had a local shop come over and take bike back to replace tire and adjust valves. I called AMA Road Service and told them I had a shop coming. Given process of paying and getting reimbursed (of course he won't charge me till I pickup). The shop was going to pickup for free, but since I have this policy, why not get him some more money.
A local shop just 5 miles from my house, young owner who does most of the work and one other mechanic. Owner races 4x4's and rides sport bikes, a nice place to get a repair done and give a good kid (in 30's) some money.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
here is my latest tire mileage chart. took off a rear 10/2015, took off a front 11/2015. best for front is Dunlop Roadsmart2, rear best is PR4. not trying anymore, I think I have the best wearing tires

This is a useful post. Thanks
I never get much more than 8k on the back and 10k on the front. I did find the PR4 had excellent wet grip.

Top Bottom