New 2016 Yamaha FJR

Thanks Tim, I keep saying to myself, "I'm going to keep my NT until I stop riding," and then I see something like this and it's like a siren call to it. I hope I can resist.

Terry

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Nice. Will be in the market for a sport-tourer a step above the NT (enhanced platform for frequent two-up trips). Triumph Trophy SE and BMW R1200RT are on the short list. The updated 2016 FJR might just squeeze onto the list given a proven base platform, more robust dealer network, purchase price advantage (not needing all of the whiz bang extras), and potential lower cost of ownership.

Harold

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Why should Honda care? They haven't been bothered by the ST market for what, 6 years? Does anyone really think they will do anything to compete with the FJR, Trophy, Connie or RT?

If Honda cared then instead of introducing several ADV bikes in several sizes they would have produced a replacement for the ST on the VFR/crosstourer platform.

I walked in a powerhouse dealer a week ago and beheld a most unusual sight: a brand new ST 10 days out of the crate. At first I thought it was a very well kept trade-in but no brand new. And the salesperson said if I wanted two he had a second one in the crate in the warehouse. Guess Honda is still in the sport touring market after a fashion.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Guess Honda is still in the sport touring market after a fashion.
Yep, go out to the ST1330 webpage on the Honda website and you will see "new" ST1300s. 2010 models, and the newer 2012 models, are listed as available. Hmm, a "new" four or six year old motorcycle. Looks like the mid to late 80's all over again.

Back on topic the 2016 FJR may finally get me off the fence. Riding a classic FJ is fun but I have to admit that I miss my electronic "toys" and fuel injection....:rolleyes1:

Attachments

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Choices, choices, choices.......That is what makes life interesting. Trying to decide what to ride is some times more fun than the actual ride it's self. Enjoy what you ride and ride what you enjoy. In today's world there is Almost no bad motorcycles. As I said Almost.:doh1:

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
*** spmeone mentioned here earlier the newer FJR is not pinion friendly! My 14 had that very disappointing factor that stayd hidden until my mech and his wife rode mine home for me one nifht, HE is a 6 ft 240 pounder and she is about 5 ft 8 , and about 120 lvs, she was not a happy camper, my grand daughter rode with me 6 miles and said WE NEED to go home as I cant stand this thing!, Thus I will say if you are planning on a pinion the fjr is nit a wise choice. SOlo it is a very fine ride, stable , plenty quick etc.After setting on a new BMW RT If I wanted to spend 25-27 K, about twice the price of a FJR I thinkit would fo a nice job. THe ST1200 will also butt they are technically behind the power curve and HOnda is too proud of them. do my $$ a new bike would be HD Ultra, or BMW RT for two up riding , or possibly a GL1800 wing! will one of those happen?? Only time will tell by June or July; Or Maybe a old 64 HD with 17K original on it!

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
If Honda cared then instead of introducing several ADV bikes in several sizes they would have produced a replacement for the ST on the VFR/crosstourer platform.
Still could very easily. Really wouldn't take much.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Rider Mag has a mini review and I like the bike but I dont like going to six gears and making first TALLER to shorten up ratios......I have a short ratio six speed on my Connie....I am always reaching for seventh gear and I skip gears as a matter of course.....on a touring bike, a close ratio tranny is not my bag of oats.....six speed? Fine. Lower first and make 6th tall......
If I wanted a big sport tourer...this would be it for me.....make this an 900-1100 cc bike and take out some of the pork, and wild horses couldnt stop me from buying it.....especially if it were red! :)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
I think most of you probably by-passed the review I posted earlier.

If you're interested in some entertainment, listen to the review. His are like no other! Nothing censored, just his honest opinions as he experiences them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I watched the review with a smile on my face! This reviewer was so pleased and genuinely surprised by the bikes features, performance and attributes--heck, I thought I was riding/enjoying the bike myself. If he would've been a salesman, I would've had a hard time saying no.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks Tim, I keep saying to myself, "I'm going to keep my NT until I stop riding," and then I see something like this and it's like a siren call to it. I hope I can resist.

Terry
I am trying hard to resist the new 2014 over on your side of the state for 12K plus tax......but I wouldnt sell my other two bikes.....

Chris, I've got two years before I really retire and I want everything paid off, the house repainted, a propane generator put in, replace appliances if needed. So if I do anything about a new bike it would be after all the pre-retirement stuff is done.

Terry

Top Bottom