Rear Shock Removal

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
It's winter in Minnesota so I'm finally getting around to installing the new Ohlins rear spring I purchased a few months ago. I need to remove the rear shock but the manual doesn't say much of anything. Could anyone summarize the steps that need to be done to remove the shock. I assume the rear wheel and some of the covers need to be removed but it would be great to hear from someone that has done this before. Thanks, Jim,

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
If anyone is interested in doing this project it is not overly difficult for anyone with good wrenching skills. I just completed this, took a couple days. DirtFlier sent me a great write up on how to do this along with pictures of the spring compressor he built for the project. His instructions were really great and the project would have been immensely more difficult without his procedure. Thanks DirtFlier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If you desire to remove the rear shock I would be happy to give you some input or possible you can contact DirtFlier or myself for a copy of the write up.

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Hi Spacetiger. This is the spring rate I used, Ohlins item # 01092-89, spring rate 57/170/210. The cost was $95 plus shipping. I'm 165 lbs and do mostly one up, touring / sport touring, no real fast riding any longer.. Much, much improved ride. With the combination of replacing the front fork spring with a progressive wound spring, and the Ohlins progressive rear spring, these really give you a great ride without jarring you in the arms or butt, when hitting sharp bumps or expansion joints on the highway. If you need more info I'd be happy to send you pictures and some installation instructions. just send me a private message. Jim / Oldtimer.
PS, Dirtflyer may have used a different rate spring but I believe I received the rate recommendation from him. I believe someone else did say Ohlins does offer a stiffer spring for heavier riders. Hopefully he will also respond.

OHLINS USA, Inc.
703-C South Grove Street
Hendersonville, NC 28792 US
Tel: 828-692-4525
Fax: 828-692-0595

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Dirtflyer may have used a different rate spring but I believe I received the rate recommendation from him. I believe someone else did say Ohlins does offer a stiffer spring for heavier riders...]

For riders under 200-lbs: P/N 01092-89 and for riders over 200-lbs: P/N 01092-91.

Last edited:
Top Bottom