NT700VA Performance

tawilke46

For all those NT owners out there........from latest issue of MCN. Fast enough to keep up with traffic for sure. Have to spend a lot more $$$$$ to buy a cage with 0 to 60 of 5.36 sec.

For the NT700VA
Rear wheel hp: 53.42 hp
Rear wheel torque: 40.28 ft/lbs
Zero to 60mph: 5.36 sec
Zero to 100mph: 18.19 sec
Measured top speed: 118.3mph
1/4 mile: 13.73 sec; 95.2mph

Yeah, I know the FJR does 0 To 60 in 3.18 sec. Let the comparisons begin.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Re: NT 700VA Performance

For all those NT owners out there........from latest issue of MCN. Fast enough to keep up with traffic for sure. Have to spend a lot more $$$$$ to buy a cage with 0 to 60 of 5.36 sec.

For the NT700VA
Rear wheel hp: 53.42 hp
Rear wheel torque: 40.28 ft/lbs

Yeah, I know the FJR does 0 To 60 in 3.18 sec. Let the comparisons begin.
It is not about 0 to 60mph in Seconds. It is about smiles from 0 to 60. How many smiles do you get from 0 to 60 mph. :) It really comes down to the complete package. Each bike and each person's is what makes a complete package, and no two are alike. Performance comparison are nice but really don't tell the complete story for each individual. When making a bike selection for one self, the personality of that person must be taken into account. There in lies the real selection criteria. Ride what you enjoy and Enjoy what you ride.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter

Another 20RWHP and a sixth gear would help fix those slow :turtle: numbers...:wink: Or let Pee Wee Gleason have a crack at trimming down those times! :burnout: :eek1:

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

That is correct Chuck, ride what appeals to you and enjoy.
Was just posting the "numbers" for information only on the NT. Some folks who ride it may be interested.......or not.

The January 2016 issue of MCN has the performance figures for a lot of bikes in case anyone is interested.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Me and my buddy Daboo is happy wif' our NT's just they way they is!

;^)

Mike

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I guess I am a little slow, but 0-60 in 5.4 seconds is more then fast enough for any street riding. Okay if you are unfortunate to have to ride expressways all the time, maybe a 6th gear would be a feature the might be of some use. I don't think the NT at 70 is a strain on the machine.

My NT has travels twice a day on I95 at 75 (and sometimes more) on a 45 mile commute. She hasn't blinked or hesitated over the last 8K. At first 5K on the tach sounded alarming, now it sounds normal and there is actually a nice bunch of power in this area. Still a sixth gear would be nice.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with wanting bigger and faster or different. The FJR looks like a great bike.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The NT is a great bike. Just about the perfect all around machine. Easy to handle in the city, parking lots, traffic, while at the same time easily capable of a high speed cruise across the country. Has very good wind protection and comfort for it's size. But, since it does do all that well, it does not do any one of those great.

FWIW, my WRX (not stock) would do 0-60 faster (much faster here at altitude). But it did cost twice as much :)

ett

My NT has travels twice a day on I95 at 75 (and sometimes more) on a 45 mile commute. She hasn't blinked or hesitated over the last 8K. At first 5K on the tach sounded alarming, now it sounds normal and there is actually a nice bunch of power in this area. Still a sixth gear would be nice.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with wanting bigger and faster or different. The FJR looks like a great bike.
The NT is a great bike. Just about the perfect all around machine. Easy to handle in the city, parking lots, traffic, while at the same time easily capable of a high speed cruise across the country. Has very good wind protection and comfort for it's size. But, since it does do all that well, it does not do any one of those great.

FWIW, my WRX (not stock) would do 0-60 faster (much faster here at altitude). But it did cost twice as much :)
While I may have only had my NT for a little less than 6k miles, it only has a total of a little over 21k miles, and I've only been using for my 150 mile daily commute (plus a few joy rides).
The items in bold are my sentiments about the NT.

Other than not having the flash and sex appeal of my past GSXRs and current Griso.
The only thing I find disappointing about the NT is the alternator lacking in output.
It can't handle using my heated gear on full for a whole commute.

And perhaps like 99% of all motorcycles; it could use a louder horn.
Maybe I'll get around to installing the Stebel horn that I never installed on the Griso.

--ET

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The only thing I find disappointing about the NT is the alternator lacking in output.
It can't handle using my heated gear on full for a whole commute.

--ET
I ran heated grips and ran heated jacket liner with heated gloves. Also ran Two GPS's all at the same time. No issues. But The bike was ALWAYS on a battery tender when parked in my garage. Now it you are trying to run aux lights and said heated gear then there might be an issue.

ett

How much heated gear are you trying to use, ET?
Gerbing gloves, jacket liner, and pants liner.

If I run those on full during whole commute.
I can watch the my Kuryakyn LED volt meter indicate a drop in voltage from 2 (or occasionally 3) green LEDs down to 1 green LED, and even further with the heated grips indicators start to flash.
And when I get home it will take several minutes (5 ? 10 ?) for my Battery Tender to go green/maintenance mode.

Whereas without using the heated gear; the volt meter will always be 2 or 3 green LEDs. And Battery Tender will immediately (less than 5 seconds) go to green/maintenance mode.

--ET

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You’re running a bit more than I do. I have noticed that I can run my Warm’n’Safe heated jacket at 100%, my heated grips on high, and my Denali D-1s as long as I’m moving at a good clip as long as I don’t have my headlight on high beam. When I turn on high beam, I’ve got to go to the middle-heat level on the grips or turn my jacket down to about 60% to keep charging the battery.

I’ve also noticed that when I’ve just started the bike, if I’ve got the grips on high, it takes a few minutes before the grip lights stop blinking.

I hadn’t been using the Battery Tender all the time until just recently, but after draining my year-old battery as it sat in the garage for about three weeks in near-freezing temps, I’ve decided that I’ll use the Battery Tender all the time till it warms up.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You?re running a bit more than I do. I have noticed that I can run my Warm?n?Safe heated jacket at 100%, my heated grips on high, and my Denali D-1s as long as I?m moving at a good clip as long as I don?t have my headlight on high beam. When I turn on high beam, I?ve got to go to the middle-heat level on the grips or turn my jacket down to about 60% to keep charging the battery.

I?ve also noticed that when I?ve just started the bike, if I?ve got the grips on high, it takes a few minutes before the grip lights stop blinking.

I hadn?t been using the Battery Tender all the time until just recently, but after draining my year-old battery as it sat in the garage for about three weeks in near-freezing temps, I?ve decided that I?ll use the Battery Tender all the time till it warms up.
Huh?? Deja Vu all over again?

;^)

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
How do you guys run those jacket liners on high. I have a Warm and Safe jacket liner that is rated at 90 watts and I have not had to have it turned up to more than 1/3. Ambient was about 30F which is about as cold as it's gotten so far in the AM. Maybe when it's in the teens I will have to go to 1/2 or 3/4 but I think it would turn into a sweat suit if it was on high.

ett

How do you guys run those jacket liners on high. I have a Warm and Safe jacket liner that is rated at 90 watts and I have not had to have it turned up to more than 1/3. Ambient was about 30F which is about as cold as it's gotten so far in the AM. Maybe when it's in the teens I will have to go to 1/2 or 3/4 but I think it would turn into a sweat suit if it was on high.
Personally; I've never stopped riding due to the cold.
If it's not snowing, icing, or roads covered with Winter treatment. Then I'm riding.
A little over a week ago; the morning commute was in freezing fog. Road surface only got questionable crossing the Delaware in I-78.
And my current commute is mostly interstate.
So even with the NT's fairing. At near freezing and lower temps; I need my Gerbings on high.

Could your Warm&Safe gear simply be more efficient than my Gerbings ?

--ET

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Could your Warm&Safe gear simply be more efficient than my Gerbings ?
When I was doing my BBG back in May, it got down to the mid-30s in rain on the passes along I-80 between Battle Mountain and Wendover. Later that night, even though the rain had quit, when the temperature got down below 20F and I was running 80mph on US-50, I needed every bit of the 90W of heat. I would have been fine if I’d had something on the outside of the Warm’n’Safe, but I hadn’t expected it to be so cold and hadn’t brought enough warm stuff. Once again, I learned the lesson to plan for weather outside the predicted envelope.

The only real problem I had with temperature was when the sleeve of the heated jacket got doubled up around my wrist and I got burned where it was bunched up.

Top Bottom