Pannier latch repair

Bike
2010 NT700V
I found a thread where a photo was posted where instead of using the sheet metal screws to attach the latches someone inserted M5 studs into the latch attachment bosses. Does anyone know where I can find that, I have been searching for hours. I would like to find out how it was done and if it held. I need to repair my cases, I also bought a set of the larger lids and want to do the same modification before I use them. Thanks, BB

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm the guy you're looking for so I'll send you a PM.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Another option is to epoxy/JB weld in threaded sleeves or threaded metal tubing into the plastic towers. That way you stay with female threaded holes and put machine screws through the latch loops. I did that to a pair of my lids but I did have some alignment issues.
I think the threaded rod insert like Dirtflyers would make the tower height easier to keep correct.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Many of us have had to repair plastic towers that had cracked and crumbled at the top. Some of the posts on my bike were missing around 5-10 mm of height. Installing the stud first allows you to build-up the height by stacking alum spacers (sleeves) over the stud and onto the crumbled top. Without being able to use the stud for centering, it would be difficult to epoxy these spacers into place.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
I decided to eliminate the entire latch system and installed external locking draw latches. i put them on both OEM, and large lids. Yes it was difficult to get both sets to line up and latch properly. Had to buy eight latches, all locking, keyed alike. The non-locking ones were more expensive...go figure! They are made by Southco, bought them on eBay.
IMG_0729.jpg IMG_0730.jpg

I still can't figure out why my photos come out upside down!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom