V-Stream windshield installation and height adjustment mechnism

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Just got my new V-Stream windshield and it was time to install it on my 2010 NT700. Previously I?ve tried the earlier version of the CeeBailey?s Windshield and recently the Parabellum windshield. In my opinion each were ok from a coverage and turbulence stand point, but not as good as I hoped for. The Parabellum was a pain to install as the curvature of the windshield was not correct, so I had to file / slot the windshield mounting holes to get it to fit. The V-Stream installed in a few minutes, no filing required. I like how the coverage looks but won?t get to try it until the snow melts.

The windshield height adjustment on my NT has always been stiff and I had read in either the shop manual or driver?s manual, that the mechanism was to be cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis. Honda NT700V Height Adjustment Cleaning and lubrication. First remove the wind shield by pulling off the rubbers that hide the four hold down screws. Just use your fingers and pull up on the top of the rubber cover and pull the cover off. Remove the four screws and remove the windshield. Once the windshield is removed you need to remove the rubber seal that fits over both the right and left adjustment arms. As the picture shows, the rubber seal has a bunch of little tabs that you need to pry out of the fairing. Start by pushing the adjustment arm to the bottom of its travel and then, using a small screwdriver, pry out each tab starting from the top. When you get the top tabs out, move the arm to the top and remove the bottom seal tabs. They are just push in tabs but they were stuck in very well, so you need to take time to pry each tab out. Once the seal is out you can look into the mechanism from the top and see the little nylon bushings that slide along the track in the mechanism. My track was cruddy. I didn?t want to spray any cleaner into the track, because I didn?t know what it would drip into. Instead I used a little Shin-Etsu silicone glide grease on my finger and a cue tip, to clean out the track. It was real filthy and sticky. I have used the Shin-Etsu silicone grease, it?s a Honda car product, for greasing car window mechanisms for years and it works pretty good. NAPA also has a silicone glide grease that works pretty well. Once clean use a clean cue tip and your finger to grease the slide. The mechanism will now easily move up and down. To install the seal I applied a dab of glide grease to each tab and they pop right in. Reinstall the windshield and it works like new. See attached pics. Jim

Attachments

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have never had any problem with my height adjusters but your tips are valuable for the future!
I have also recently changed my screen to one made here in Melbourne, Australia. It is made by "Screens For Bikes" in the suburb of Reservoir.
I spoke to the guy who makes them, Peter, and explained that I wanted a custom size screen and he was happy to oblige me for a small extra fee.
It is a little over 4" taller and is about 1 1/2 inches wider at the top meaning that it has less inwards taper than the original screen. It also has a subtle ducktail (away) at the top.
What this means is that to set it at the same height as the standard screen I set the sliders to about the middle notch.
Anything above that gives me a higher/wider screen than maximum height of the standard screen.
The reason for this is to eliminate the last little bit of wind turbulance which used to hit the top of my helmet.
I can now sit in a cocoon of silence at up to 110kph (65+mph) with my visor open.
As I listen to music all the time whilst riding this is helpful for me. Around town I set it lower.
There are a couple of downsides though.
At the top two positions I now look through the screen, not over it. This does not bother me too much although I have not tried that in the rain yet.
Being new, there is more reflection on the inside of the screen than the old one (V8 production).
Also, being taller it has introduced reflections from the petrol cap and the "HISS" sticker at the front of the tank.
At the moment I am experimenting with a black cloth layed over the tank to eliminate the reflections. A dark tank bag would do the same, I suppose.
Initially I used black tape over the fuel cap and sticker but found there was still reflected glare from my very glossy (although Black) tank.
Another possibility is to slightly change the angle of the screen. I have just recently discovered that the holes for the screen mounts onto the sliders are slotted.
It is still a work in progress but overall I am happy with the screen.
I have not yet taken any pictures of the new screen but when I do I shall put them up for comment.

If any of you have a look at the Screens For Bikes website and try to contact Peter via email don't be too disappointed if you do not get a response. I did not, the first time and eventually rang him. He apologised and explained that he is a One-Man Business, working from home and struggles to keep up with the hundreds of emails he receives. He is probably losing sales but cannot keep up with those he has now.
He is a very nice and helpful man and makes a high quality screen that fits perfectly. He did take some pictures of my screen after I fitted it in his driveway but has not yet added them to his website.

Macka

Last edited:
I think you are going to love your new windshield..I got mine from J C Whitney for my 2011 and it is such an improvement over the stocker..Wider and taller...I did not think about cleaning the tracks...I probably will before next riding season and replace both tires that have worn equally (front and back) in just 10,000 miles......It is appx 4" taller and I mostly just leave it in the full down or one or two notches up...If the weather looks iffy I will raise it all the way up and just bang it down as needed when I'm riding...meantime I will wait for the snow to melt..

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Thanks for the response Macka and Reniram. Macka, what is the weather like in your area at this time of year? Is it summer there while were in winter? I don't recall having any reflection issues on the NT with any of the windshields I've tried but I also keep mine set pretty low, so I can look just over the top, plus I'm 5'6" tall so my windshield is set pretty low. I do use a small Moto Centric tank bag for keeping gloves, glasses and small bottle of water handy. As you say this also keeps any tank reflection from bouncing off the wind shield. Reniram, what part of Iowa is Bettendorf in? jim

Thanks for the response Macka and Reniram. Macka, what is the weather like in your area at this time of year? Reniram, what part of Iowa is Bettendorf in? jim
Ah yes..Bettendorf Quad cities..on the mighty Mississippi...SE corner of the state...Davenport... Moline... Rock Island...

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Thanks for the response Macka and Reniram. Macka, what is the weather like in your area at this time of year? Is it summer there while were in winter? I don't recall having any reflection issues on the NT with any of the windshields I've tried but I also keep mine set pretty low, so I can look just over the top, plus I'm 5'6" tall so my windshield is set pretty low. I do use a small Moto Centric tank bag for keeping gloves, glasses and small bottle of water handy. As you say this also keeps any tank reflection from bouncing off the wind shield. Reniram, what part of Iowa is Bettendorf in? jim
It is the middle of summer here and last week we had bushfires just North (15km/9miles) of my home city of Melbourne and about 100km/60 miles West on the Great Ocean Road which is a very famous tourist route and a brilliant ride on a bike (I have done it many times). Both highways were closed (GOR still is) and 116 houses were lost but NO lives were lost. The Emergency Services did a fantastic job of evacuating thousands of people at the height of the holiday season. Some people have been allowed to go in to inspect their homes but most of the area is still off-limits. Last week the temperatures peaked at 43C (about 110F) with very strong and gusty winds. It is a very dangerous time. This week though the temperature is peaking at about 26C and is quite pleasant.
Currently the Southern part of Australia is suffering bushfires and the Northern parts are under 15 meters of flood water. This is fairly normal here now, with global warming. We have been watching the Tornados destroying homes and lives in the US. It is always headline news here.
By the Way: sorry about the double post. I had a time-out situation when I tried to post and I had to log in again. It was not until I had relogged and posted that I realised that the first one had actually arrived. I tried to delete it but was not able to do that. Perhaps I will try again.

Macka

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I've had the V-Stream on for a few rides now and I love it. It is wider at the top than the stock, C-Bailey or Parabellum windshields that I have purchased for this bike, and it gives the best wind protection of the bunch. I give the V-stream a big thumbs up! jim

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Phil
The V-stream only comes in one size for the NT and it is 4" taller than the stock NT wind screen. I have been using one all winter and it does a very good job of blocking the wind and rain during my daily commutes.
Not sure if I will switch back to the stock shield during the summer or not. The V-Stream does such a good job blocking the wind I might roast with it during the summer even in the lowest position.

OP
OP
oldtimer
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Agreed!. The only thing I can add is I'm 5'6" and for my normal back road touring I set the height of the V-Stream in the middle adjustment position, so I look over it about 2". I can easily set it lower for in town riding if I want more air, or higher so I look through it in high winds or rain.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks for the tips. I just fitted a Parabellum I bought on ebay and I also had trouble fitting it. When mounted it would not slide up and down - just as you describe with the holes putting too much strain on the mechanism. I backed off the screws and slid it up and down a few times and re-tightened them evenly and carefully and it is OK now. Filing/slotting the holes was my plan B. I used some bicycle chain ptfe based liquid on the mechanism which dries dry. Seems to have worked OK.

Top Bottom