New Winger

Bike
Silver NT700V
I had commented in some other posts about thinking of going large. Well, I did. On November 14 I bought a slightly used 2009 GL1800 Goldwing. It only had 11,669 miles on it and the price was pretty agreeable. I have only managed about 600 miles so far, between holiday travel and less than optimal weather.

Of course, pics or it didn't happen:

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Lookin' good! I have always wondered what it must be like to ride a Wing. 900+ pounds is quite intimidating to me, and where do you get an opportunity to try before you buy? A conundrum to be sure.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Riding it is the easy part. It much smother than the NT due to longer wheel base. It turns in like a much lighter bike. I think that has to do with steering geometry and the low center of gravity. Since it is a good three inches lower at the seat than the NT, I can almost flat foot it at stops. Of course, at 900 lbs. it is much more ponderous to get out of the garage. The low CG helps here too. My wife "complained" that it is so quite she can't here me when I get home in the evening.

As for test rides, check a good Honda dealer. Mine often has models out from on display and their practice is that if it is out front you can test it. That is how I got a test ride on the NT. For this one, since it was used on consignment, I had to put a deal together with money down to get the test ride. The deal was contingent on me liking the ride, which I did.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Great looking bike Chuck!!

Rich, if you ride one you will have to have one:rofl1: Mine went away as I needed a lighter bikeand the NT spoke to meat the time. In hind sight I wish I hD KEPT THE WING AS IT WAS CONGIGURED FOR SERIOUS LONG DSITANCE TRAVEL AND ONLY HAD 105,400 ON IT, WAS GOOS FO ANOTHER 100k WITH NO WORRY.
NT was a little easier on gas , but jsf dsme problem as win; if it laid down for a nap I had to wait until a good samaratin came along to herlp me wake it up. but it hsf every creature comfort one could want! In a very tight trhnical road a very experienced rider would run away from the wing , but on a 1599 mile ride no way if wing had fuel cell. with 11.5 full of fuel my wing wss good for 300 plus miles with a safe gallon at least of fuel even if cruising at 80 + .

Eldon

Pretty bike Chuck.!!

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Nice-looking Wing, Chuck. I’ve only ridden an 1800cc Wing once and was impressed with it at the time. Just think, Honda could make a 600cc Wing by only using two cylinders of the big Wing and it would be the perfect bike for me. :)

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Juust think, Honda could make a 600cc Mini-Wing by only using two cylinders of the big Wing and it would be the perfect bike for me. :)
Wow! That WOULD be a perfect mid size touring bike, Phil. Why don't you call up the nice folks at Honda. They should be able to have in your local dealer in a couple years, don't you think?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Nice Chuck! I've had a couple and never regretted a moment on them.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
I agree with Phil. The ideal NT replacement would have been a 700 - 1000 cc version of the Wing.

I am really enjoying it so far. Next step will like be the Pie Run to Hico TX. Maybe I can figure our the GPS b then and set up the route. I WILL have my paper maps though.

I read of one ride on GL1800 Riders who sold a 2002 with 340,000 miles on it. (Sounds like Trailace)

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
By the way, Doug. If you know of anyone down your way wanting an NT, mine is posted here and i would be happy to bring it down. (shameless attempt at sale HA HA)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
By the way, Doug. If you know of anyone down your way wanting an NT, mine is posted here and i would be happy to bring it down. (shameless attempt at sale HA HA)
I'll be more than happy to pass the word around. If there is an interest, it will be with a Winter Texan.

Don't know if I'll make Hico - living in the Valley, I'm a long way from anywhere.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
A friend found an older Wing (4cyl) Bronze with Gold trim with 4000 miles on it for $3000.00. The bike looks like it just came out of a showroom. I am SO envious. He brought it to my shop and we went over it, lubing everything, changing the oil and filter, oil in the drivetrain, etc. If I had that bike, I would get a nice windshield and a set of bags for it and I would have a real decent touring bike. I may just look around for one. Honda made a lot of them.

Bike
Alex, finding one withsuch low miles is extreeemley difficult. I know ofone eith about 70 K that needs head gaskets replaced, before the vision problems arrived, I was interested in it but theowner didn't want to part with it even though he also didn't wnt to spend the money to fix it,A real find is in the early years of the 1000cc models which were un faired unles someone added Vetter setup to them, LOL I had a pristine 78 that got out of the stable and ran away.

Eldon

Bike
Nice-looking Wing, Chuck. I’ve only ridden an 1800cc Wing once and was impressed with it at the time. Just think, Honda could make a 600cc Wing by only using two cylinders of the big Wing and it would be the perfect bike for me. :)
Phil, Honda almost made that bike in the first Goldwings like from 75 or 76 until 79 or 80 as the GL1000 :smile:

NS cRAIG vETTER DEVELLOPED THE EARLY FAITINGS TO DRESS THEM WITH FR LONG MILE TOURING.

eLDON

Top Bottom