Wheel Bearing failure

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Had the second bearing failure on the front wheel now. Left side (from the saddle) Thinking about replacing the wheel. Would welcome any insight to the problem from you that have more experience with bikes than I.

Made itself known with a bit of head shake on a ride to New Hampshire, wasn't smart enough to turn around. Parked it and let it wait for me to get to it... Took it for a ride and all seemed well. On the way home it started to scream. Took it apart and the problem was obvious to the casual observer. Seal was breached and it looked like a ball was missing. The replacement the first time this happened was with Honda OEM parts.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Did you install the new bearings yourself and if so, how?

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Certainly not a common problem on NT700's. Do you use a pressure washer to clean the bike - can be very damaging to seals (those round black things not the cuddly things on beaches....) if not careful.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
They went in with the proper driver and a press. Don't own a pressure washer.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
If it started to scream it sounds like it was lacking lubrication. If so this has nothing to do with the wheel and replacing the wheel would not stop the problem from recurring.

Is the seal OK as if water was getting past the seal this could be the cause of your problem.

Seagrass

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Most bearings are sealed these days BUT they can still get "water ingress" which will quickly destroy the bearing.

Is there also an outer seal? In most cases there is an outer seal that helps to stop "water ingress" and this is the seal I was referring to.

Seagrass

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The manual calls them dust seals. They are the rubber seals that fit outside the bearings and rub on the spacers that run from the wheel to the fork sliders.

Brad

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Ice cream, Frozen Margaritas and my new snow blower can all give you brain freeze. This project may be sitting still in the garage for a while. Both bearings and dust seals are in place. just need some time to see what happens next.

Bike
Honda NT700V
A front mount on this http://www.deere.com/en_US/products/equipment/tractors/compact_utility_tractors/2000_series/2032R/2032R.page?

You can all thank (curse) me for the lack of snow this year. bought a tractor and snow tires ...

Thank you! Now buy a cab for the tractor, they're threatening a noreaster Friday night. I'm going to move my snowblower from the shed to the garage in hopes of scaring it away. And I have my new auger drive belt ready to go.

I noticed that a guy up the road has a new small Kubota with a backhoe. I could use one of those. I'll have to get him to give me a tour of his new toy.

Bike
Honda NT700V
Sweet! Bet that thing will put up a roost. You could donate your snow to your neighbor.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I guess I'm mistaken. Sears does sell green tractors, with those reliable Tecumsehengines. I guess I should of not gotten that orange ones, mine only give me 20 years of taking care of 72 acres, 4 horses and few hundred dogs. Tractors are like motorcycles, enjoy what you like.
Next life I get a H-D and a green one.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Regardless of color the machines are a real treat for getting a lot of work done fast. Dragged the belly pan on the car coming in tonight. Need to fill the stove and get some sleep and move some snow in the morning.

Top Bottom