Dreams

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I bought my NT with the intent of riding it to my brothers place. Wanted reliable so bought a new Honda. Six years old and I still have not made the trip. One brother is in Bristol, RI. The other in Roy, WA. I think I should take a month off and go.

What do you think?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Go fer it! You ain't gettin' any younger. I'm just sayin'.......

;^)

Mike

Bike
Honda NT700V
Sometimes it takes a push to overcome inertia. I was lucky in that a member of my local BMW club became Rides Chairman and came up with annual "competitions". One year it was collecting elevation signs. That one got me out to Colorado. Every year we have a Great States ride, won by whoever rides in the most states. That motivated me to ride in all 50 states in 2010 and, so far, I'm the only one in the club to do that. A visit to Hyder netted me Alaska, but we all know that's not really riding to Alaska, so I had to do a ride to Anchor Point, the westernmost place you can get to on the continuous road system. The year before, I'd been to Cape Spear, Newfoundland, the easternmost place you can ride to in North America. I've seen lots of ride reports of trips to Alaska, but not many of rides to Yellowknife, so I went there on the way back from Alaska. One year, I was called by the Southwest and swung up through the Canyonlands park. Looking down a thousand feet at the White Rim Trail from the Grandview Point Overlook was inspiration to go back to ride the trail. Last May, I towed my dirtbike out to Moab and did it. I've ridden pieces of Rt 16 in West Virginia and decided to see the whole thing. The ride from St Marys at the north end down to Marion, Va was wonderful.

The point of all this is that I need some motivation to get on the bike and go. Setting a goal is the way I do it. Karl, you have a goal. Start planning now, while the weather is uncooperative, and you'll get your juices up to the point that you'll just roll out when the time comes. Read some ride reports. Start collecting maps. Find some things to see along the way. Figure out what you want to take with you. Do a few weekend rides when the weather improves to work out the kinks. www.adventurerider.com is a good place to find ride reports. www.roadsideamerica.com is a good place to find quirky stuff to see on the road. You never know what the future holds, so you'd better do what you want to do now, while you can.

You'll have a fantastic ride to Washington.

Karl, I agree with Chris. Some of the most astonishing m/c rides in the US I think are in Wyoming (Sawtooth pass in Glacier) and many of the roads in Washington. Write us and we'd be glad to point you in the right direction. I won't retire for at least another two years, but I'm looking forward to going out for several weeks on some long trips. Good luck and go for it.

Terry

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
No, don't do it!
It'll just use up the tire tread...more miles on your bike, money for hotel bills, gas cost, food!
Your wife will be mad for years!
It's dangerous! You could hurt yourself!
Nope, stay home. Take a nap, get a sandwich. Much smarter...cost effective and way safer!

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Go ride! Today, tomorrow, the day after...

If you don't you'll be wishing you did when you no longer can.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Karl, That whole area in the Northwest is drop dead beautiful. Once you get into the Dakotas heading west, it just gets better. I spent some time in Madigan Hospital at Ft. Lewis WA and could see Mt Rainier from my window. I made it a point to climb that mountain (on the tourist route) when I got released from the hospital. I plan on getting out that way again b.efore I cash it in. The last time I was there, I was riding a Norton Atlas.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Karl, you probably can guess what I'll say. I'd move the time up to July and include Spearfish on the route, if it were me. Lots and lots of great riding out in this part of the country. We'll give you plenty of advice. :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Karl, you probably can guess what I'll say. I'd move the time up to July and include Spearfish on the route, if it were me. Lots and lots of great riding out in this part of the country. We'll give you plenty of advice. :)
What Phil said - join us in Spearfish and go from there.

Last summer, I added another 3,000 miles to my ride to Spearfish - so much to see just in the Black Hills, but unreal riding in the west.

As has been said above, ad nauseum - just do it!!!

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
You might think about a tag ride with some guys along the route the US of A. Maybe even meet a few guys along the route. Just take don't plan on doing such a long trip too many miles a day. Pick a limit, plan a route on roads you like to travel on and enjoy.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Karl,

You can make it to Spearfish and be right in the best of the riding season.

AS others have already said, GO & do the trip while you can, you never know what may happen unexpectedly.

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My first tour was in 1967. I am trying to think of a bike trip I wish I hadnt taken....there was one to the black hills and back from ILLinois where it rained all the way....Maybe that one....other than that, I loved about all of them.....the older I get, the more I listen to the people on this forum...I see people in my life NOT doing things for this reason or that reason.....I could have not bought an NT and lived...but I wouldnt have met a whole bunch of great people and I wouldnt have owned one of the best bikes around for the tourist. I could have listened to reason and NOT bought an FJR this late in life, but I am glad I did, even though I only have 5 miles on it....Listen to Eldon....you never know what just around the corner....if things speak to you, try them......you may end up with a beer in your hand at Spearfish laughing and talking to a great group of guys.....

Bike
Bonneville T120
I bought my NT with the intent of riding it to my brothers place. Wanted reliable so bought a new Honda. Six years old and I still have not made the trip. One brother is in Bristol, RI. The other in Roy, WA. I think I should take a month off and go.

What do you think?
You have a place to stay on your way out to WA!

See you soon I hope!

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
There are times that I wonder if I still have this trip in me. The old me would get on I 90 and crack the throttle. The old man that is me today was thinking of 200 miles a day and stopping to smell the "Whatever" on RT 20.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There are times that I wonder if I still have this trip in me. The old me would get on I 90 and crack the throttle. The old man that is me today was thinking of 200 miles a day and stopping to smell the "Whatever" on RT 20.
You still "have" it in you, but you won't know that until you actually "do" it! So, DO IT!!

:^)

Mike

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Karl, I am only 54 but I also occasionally find myself having thoughts about "if I still have this trip in me". There are many reasons I feel like this and the important thing to me is to realise what I have done previously and what my capabilities still are and move forward from there.

Sometimes a bit of inspiration helps so please click on the following link and be inspired. The link is about a guy named Doug who sadly is no longer with us BUT he lived his dream (and realised his goals) just like we all should.

http://www.cavalryofone.com

Seagrass

Top Bottom