Dreams

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Karl,

The question I have for you is: If not now, when? And the best trips, for me, are those that don't have a hard itinerary...you never know what you might find.

Bike
Silver NT700V
None of us are getting any younger. That is why I started riding in 2008, age 55. Also why I contacted my old girlfriend form HS/College, we got married. Also why I got the big blue Goldwing. Also why I have been on several cruises. We can only do what we do in the now. Go for it.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. I am sitting in a room that was my "big sisters" bedroom, the room my dad lost his battle with lung cancer in. It became the Video Lounge as my wife would watch tapes on the 27 inch TV VCR Combo that died years ago. My primary computer lives here now, on an ecke bank that was in the porch that is now full of tools and such as I slowly renovate the last place my parents lived. A rational person would have torn this place down and started over. Don't use the R word on me. With luck and precautions taken what killed my parents won't take me out.

I would like to go on an adventure on my sport touring motorcycle before I die in this place. How much risk is acceptable? What needs to get done before I can leave? Will I still have a job when I get home? What could possibly go wrong...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . How much risk is acceptable? . . .
Risk?

What risk?

The only risk I can see is that you DON'T take the ride.

If you are referring to risk on the road, there isn't much more chance of something bad happening to you out on the open road than there would be if you were in a car. You already ride a motorcycle - there is risk in that. You might get a bad burger some where and be sick for a few hours. You might find a motel bed that's buggy. You might get cold - or hot - or wet - or whatever, but that is part of the adventure.

Your other questions are easily answered, but the last one is different. I suggest you turn it around - what could go right.

Bike
Honda NT700V
How much risk is acceptable? What needs to get done before I can leave? Will I still have a job when I get home? What could possibly go wrong...
Good and valid questions that anyone embarking on a long ride should consider. Consider each one and formulate your answers. Then set them aside and move on.

How much risk is acceptable? We face a certain amount of risk the moment we crawl out of bed in the morning, but we deal with it because it's familiar. A long ride takes us out of that familiar space and the uncertainty magnifies the apparent risk which, in fact, is no greater than what we face every day. That leads to the next question.

What needs to get done before I leave? The question has a two part answer. Those parts are planning and home prep.

Taking the second part first, you should consider whether there are any issues at home that will cause your wife problems while you're gone and address them. You'll only be gone a month during the mild weather time of the year, so not much to worry about, but if there's something like a leak that you've been meaning to fix or something similar, get it done. It would be worthwhile to have a list of people who can deal with problems that might crop up. Got a well? Who can she call if the pump goes bad? That sort of thing. Once the homestead is dealt with, you can put it out of your mind.

With respect to planning, the first things to consider are how to deal with mechanical problems or a crash. There are lots of services that will haul you to a dealer. An outfit called MedJet Assist will help with medical problems. They'll deal with the hospital and will fly you home and transport your bike home. OK, that's out of the way, so you can start with the fun stuff, planning the ride. Round up some maps and start laying out a route. Rt 20 is a good way to get across the country. I pedaled most of the way across on it but I'd recommend making a big loop around the Chicago area. Decide whether you're going to camp or motel it. Start thinking about what gear you'll need; it'll be different depending on whether you camp or motel. For me, lots of planning goes a long way toward reducing uncertainty and apparent risk. Figure out how to keep in touch with home. I travel with a Macbook Air, a small sturdy laptop, and send an email to my wife every evening. It's great for planning the next day's ride, finding a place to stay, checking weather, tracking trip expense, etc, etc. I like to look at Street View on Google Maps to see what something looks like before I get there. It helps establish a landmark so I don't miss something. Have the bike all prepped with fresh fluids and new tires and make a short trip beforehand to be sure everything is OK. Planning and prep are part of the fun of a long ride and reduce anxiety about the unfamiliar.

Will you have a job when you get home? That's something you'll have to work out with the boss. The sooner the better so your employer can make plans. Got enough vacation saved up?

What could possibly go wrong? You could croak before you get to make your trip. Other than that, planning and a good attitude will see you through any hiccups.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Karl, no one can answer your questions but you. The trip you propose is certainly survivable at worst and a great experience at best. Motorcycle traveling gets easier with experience, but a little harder with age. I don't have the long mile days in me that I had before, but I still have fun. There are a whole bunch of folks on this forum who would ride with you on portions of your ride if you were going by. If you take a northern route to Spearfish I'd meet up with you somewhere along the way. You would leard a little something from each rider you met along the way. I think both Phil and I each learned something from each other on our trip to Alaska and back even neither of us admit to much.

While most of my touring is solo, I've enjoyed every ride I've made with a companion too. I'm sure a retired MSG has what it takes to get it done. It is all up to you. But it it were me, you couldn't hold me back. Have fun!!!!

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Karl, you could always drop a little south and ride part way with BobAgain an I. We will be leaving out of a campground a little NW of Columbus OH on June 11 and ride 2 lane for three day to the area near Scotts Bluff NE where on day 4 we will cut south onto CO. We will not be pushing big miles each day, stopping to sight see, etc. Just an option to riding alone the entire distance. The west is calling to me again and after my trip out there in 2014 I am so anxious to get rolling. I hope you convince yourself to do it. Take the time to enjoy the adventure of a lifetime.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You can fly on an airplane almost any time and well into your later years, so take the ride now! :)

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Have granddaughters in Westerville, OH. Have to stop there. I have 13 weeks of vacation and 18 weeks of sick leave in the bank, no problem then. Well no, two weeks off no problem a month gets dicey. Why is 11th of June stuck in my head...

Bike
Honda NT700V
That Mapquest route across the country is fairly awful. The Ohio and Indiana 'pikes are expensive and crowded. Traffic is miserable from South Bend all the way around Chicago. I 90 across Minnesota will rattle your fillings and is straight and boring across S Dakota. Riding with Duane on 2 lane would be much more pleasant.

My choice for getting to Colorado is I 70 to Indianapolis, I 74 to Champaign, I 72 to Hannibal and then US 36 to Denver. Or US 36 from Indianapolis to Denver. No tolls, less traffic on the Interstates, only 2 big cities to deal with and very little traffic on US 36. It's much nicer than dealing with St Louis and Kansas City and you can cover the ground at a fairly brisk rate.

Running the 2 lane is more fun and gives you a chance to site see, but takes more time.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That Mapquest route across the country is fairly awful. The Ohio and Indiana 'pikes are expensive and crowded. Traffic is miserable from South Bend all the way around Chicago. I 90 across Minnesota will rattle your fillings and is straight and boring across S Dakota. Riding with Duane on 2 lane would be much more pleasant.[/quote

I agree. I've ridden on those same roads and much prefer the 2-lane rural roads. I've crossed the plains states on (I think) every road between Canada to US 20 in NE. The most expedient was I-90 (only one day from Spearfish to Eau Claire WI), and it also took the most gas. I had more fun on the 2-lane roads. I like to see the farms and how things are done in different parts of the country. I prefer mom & pop restaurants to McDonalds, and I prefer small campgrounds to KOAs. Just a personal preference.

But, to each his own. Lots of riders enjoy the interstate system on a motorcycle. They are well signed and don't present any navigational challenges. You can make great time, and there is always a rest stop or convenience store just up the road. They are great for getting around big cities. But I'm a chicken - I don't enjoy riding wheel to wheel with big trucks that can (and do) blow tires that can kill a motorcyclist. I also don't like following fast traffic without a clear view ahead. I've had too many mufflers and pallet parts etc. suddenly appear from under a vehicle just ahead of me.

I'll bet JMoore can suggest a good route across NE. But the best part of motorcycle travel is that if I don't like a road I'm on I just take a different one (uh, the Alaska Highway doesn't count). Just be flexible and have some fun!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
What I have always promised myself is take the old Highway. Rt 20. It has changed a lot from when I was a kid but I hear a voice in my memory bank that"That's boring , just like Rt 20"
and it makes me want to go that way. Stop and look at dinosaur foot prints, Drink coffee in the milk jug building if it hasn't already been torn down.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If time is not an issue, by all means, take the US highways.... much more fun and scenic. If you are pressed for time, the Interstate system is the fastest.... boring but fast.

Mike

Bike
Honda NT700V
I stopped here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6817306,-102.690947,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYsfYiKnU_-csYArRcc5mSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
in Hay Springs, Nebraska for a snack when I was pedaling across the country. Some local coffee drinkers invited me to share a table and hear some stories. The entry in my journal goes like this. "Seems a fellow from Good Morning America was in the area to do a story when his car broke down. They went out to fetch him. He called his wife on his cell phone and told her he was in Hay Springs "wherever that is." "Why, you're in the geographic center of North America." they told him. "Yep, no matter how far you go, in any direction, it's just as far to come back."

Bike
Honda NT700V
Sure doesn't look like a NT in the StreetView! :wink:
Funny thing is if you go down the road a hundred yards and turn around, it turns into a pickup. That streetview was 2012. I stopped there in 2001 on my Trek 520 and rode through in 2009 on my F800ST.

Last edited:
Top Bottom