Dreams

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Joanne and I were driving north in Nova Scotia in the fall of '14 between Truro and New Glascow when we passed the Google Road View Car driving along at about 80kph. It was an interesting looking little vehicle.

tawilke46

For a while some years ago you could go to Street View on my street and see my neighbor walking out his driveway. Told him he is famous now, a retired meat cutter from Winn Dixie.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I get quite a few bicyclists from Adventure Cycling Association stopping at my place in Belfast. It is on the way to Bar Harbor, ME for those crossing the US. I offer them a campsite, access to a hot shower, washer and dryer. We also invariably spend time on the deck having conversations and some beer or wine. It is amazing how many people make the trip from Seattle to Bar Harbor--a great bunch of people. Things look different on two wheels. I may attempt doing a cross country on the NT this summer pending the outcome of my knee replacement.

If you do come thru Nebraska stay away from I80, highway 2 thru the sandhills two lane, light traffic, and at least for me well worth the ride.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you do come thru Nebraska stay away from I80, highway 2 thru the sandhills two lane, light traffic, and at least for me well worth the ride.
A big Plus 1 to what Jim says. Both Kansas and Nebraska are interesting states to cross if you stay off of I-70 and I-80.

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
I may attempt doing a cross country on the NT this summer pending the outcome of my knee replacement.

Last year I had a knee replacement .... it was about 2 weeks after being released from the hospital for the surgery before I could bend the knee enough to put my feet on the NT's pegs and ride. I did ride to the west coast of Florida from the east coast, on a different bike, 1 week after the surgery though. (Knee was only bent 90 degrees). Everybody recovers differently depending on physical therapy and how much you put into it. Smartest move I ever made getting the surgery ... didn't even know that I had arthritis in the knee from all the "other" things that were wrong with it! Wish you a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Gizmo, Thanks a million. I'm going to have the VA do it--same surgeon who did my hip. I plan to stay on their rehab wing for three weeks and do PT twice a day. My friend had both knees done by the same surgeon and he was riding his Harley after rehab.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Dan,
Will probably schedule it for sometime next month. I still have to clean up the last of my legal issue this month--getting the final figure on the house refinance. The two year battle for the house is finally over.

In 2011 I retired and left Virginia for California. I had done all of the things that Bicyclist said to do. I went the southern route and came back thru the northern states. Nothing went as planned and that was probably the best thing that could have happened because now I have all of these great memories to relive. The one thing that went wrong was a biggie. When I got back to West Virginia I had a heart attack and went into the hospital to have three stents put in. Even that doesn't spoil my memories of the trip.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Karl, you could always drop a little south and ride part way with BobAgain an I. We will be leaving out of a campground a little NW of Columbus OH on June 11 and ride 2 lane for three day to the area near Scotts Bluff NE where on day 4 we will cut south onto CO. We will not be pushing big miles each day, stopping to sight see, etc. Just an option to riding alone the entire distance. The west is calling to me again and after my trip out there in 2014 I am so anxious to get rolling. I hope you convince yourself to do it. Take the time to enjoy the adventure of a lifetime.
Been dotting i's and crossing t's My spouse the Lunch Lady gets out of School the 17th of June plus snow days and she wants me to drive her out to Columbus. At this juncture "I just don't know."

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Been riding every day to work. Swap the fluids and the bike should be ready...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Alex,
When's the surgery? I hope it goes well.
Saw the surgeon three weeks ago. He thinks that with PT and the loss of 40 lbs. that I might avoid the surgery altogether. I started the Nutrisystem Diet and have lost 15 lbs. It's good food, easy to prepare, and no more expensive than regular groceries. I'll stick to it until I reach my target weight of 185 to 190.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Alex,

I hopr the diet works out for you! Keep us all advised about itI wouldn't mind loainf 10-20 lbs , even though I HAVE MAINTAINED 190 - 195 FOR THE PAST TWO OR THREE YEARS.

ELDON

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I would love to get back to 190. The last time was as a freshman in High School.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I lost 40 lbs in 6 months by eating 1250 calories a day of fruits, vegetables and lean protein. No processed food. Tracked my intake on My Fitness Pal app. Also walk 4-5 miles a day and track everything with a Fitbit

Last edited:
OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

This was yesterday morning

This was the "bike" pad the day before

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
What I drove to work yesterday, and will again today. Bike is back in the garage.

Work has been available seven days a week and I have been taking it to put some cash in the accounts to pay for the trip.
Time to climb on the bike and go.

Top Bottom