Yamaha Manuals

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have the official Yamaha Manual for my FJR. If ever there was a worse piece of tech writing, I have yet to see it....I understand this is just the way Yamaha currently does things (they werent always this aweful) but I am wondering if the Haynes manual just parrots this garbage or is it a manual worth having? I got my hand slapped on one of the FJR forums for asking this and I had to acknowlege that I was a bad person and i will try to do better and I still dont know what I did wrong.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've seen a current Super Tenere manual and also a Vstrom and I will say it's tough to beat how Honda does manuals... the Yam was in 3rd place.. still not sure it's worth it but I do like to have one on hand when I do valve checks.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In general I have found the Haynes manuals to be totally different than the OEM manuals. They usually compliment each other. If you are having trouble with the OEM manual you should get a Haynes.

On the other hand the Haynes manual for the NT is a lot different than the Honda OEM manual and in fact is a lot worse than the Honda manual mostly because the Haynes manual is covering multiple years and also covers the Transalp.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Haynes is written for amateurs, like me :rolleyes1:, and Factory Manuals are written for factory trained technicians.... The Factory Manuals "assume" a certain level of basic systems knowledge that I don't necessarily possess. So I buy both...Factory for the correct specs for my bike and the Haynes as my Rosetta Stone to decode the Factory "Stuff"...:eek1:

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have the official Yamaha Manual for my FJR. If ever there was a worse piece of tech writing, I have yet to see it....I understand this is just the way Yamaha currently does things (they werent always this aweful) but I am wondering if the Haynes manual just parrots this garbage or is it a manual worth having? I got my hand slapped on one of the FJR forums for asking this and I had to acknowlege that I was a bad person and i will try to do better and I still dont know what I did wrong.
LOL regarding the hand slapping! I have not been there gor a long time , but I will let you use your vivid imagination as to how I would have replied and where I would have told the slapper to put his coments etc, There are some good fols on both of the Yam forums, but also some pure BUTT HEADS.

eldon

tawilke46

I got my hand slapped on one of the FJR forums for asking this and I had to acknowlege that I was a bad person and i will try to do better and I still dont know what I did wrong.
That is funny Chris. Had the same kind of thing happen to me in my very first forum experience on the Smith and Wesson forum. Just asked what the approximate value would be on my dad's pristine never fired Model 31 police 38 special. Got blasted for not providing pics, and other info. Said goodbye to those folks pronto. I did my own research.......some forums not too friendly to newbies.

Bike
Well those are easy questions to answer, This is the NT/ FJR forum isn't it?:rofl1:

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Haynes is written for amateurs, like me :rolleyes1:, and Factory Manuals are written for factory trained technicians.... The Factory Manuals "assume" a certain level of basic systems knowledge that I don't necessarily possess. So I buy both...Factory for the correct specs for my bike and the Haynes as my Rosetta Stone to decode the Factory "Stuff"...:eek1:
OK, I think I will give the Haynes a whirl....I have seen a few manuals in my life, (we all have) and I am a factory trained Motorola two way radio wrench. The Yamaha manual was designed for one thing...saving paper. It is a great manual for someone already intimate with the FJR,and who is not a visual person. I am holding in my hands a Chilton manual for a 2004 Subaru Legacy. It has pics, and complete sentences. So does my Honda Manuals.....
I think the NT manual is pretty darned good. I do appreciate the tips otherrs on this forum have given on how to do certain things, but in the main, I can work with the Honda manual.
The Yamaha manual is so vague I cant even find where it says how to remove and install the windshield. Here is the proceedure to remove the front wheel. "Remove front wheel sensor, brake calipers, elevate the front wheel and remove it" I am here to tell you there are at least 6 other parts that better come off before you try that....what a joke....

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, I was kinda wondering why someone would ask about Yamaha manuals on a Honda forum... :rolleyes1:

Chris
This is primarily a site centered around a Honda product... however, we have an Other Motorcycles sub-forum with categories that include Yamaha.. so that discussion is there if needed. Some folks replace their bikes and some get additional rides. I don't see an issue with that discussion as long as it's respectful.

Bike
I agree with Wayne about the mNUl bing written for factory trained techs, or highly trainded techs who are working on a variety of things.

LOL I am sure there are a number of shortcuts known to the wrenches thatdon't get passed on either, I say that thinking in hind sight of the way we used to fix spark plug threads in the ols HD heads with out going through the labor of doing a R&R of the head assy, TIME _SERT was your friend! Also the quick cure for changing out Valve stem seals on old GM overhead valve engines with out doing the R&R on them. very useful tricks and money in your pocket if working in a FLAT RATE shop situation.

Eldon

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This is primarily a site centered around a Honda product... however, we have an Other Motorcycles sub-forum with categories that include Yamaha.. so that discussion is there if needed. Some folks replace their bikes and some get additional rides. I don't see an issue with that discussion as long as it's respectful.
Why, thank you, Mellow. I will also say that NT-owners is set up about the best of all the forums I haunt. I like the fact that there are many specific sub- forums for the NT which makes finding info way easier,as well as the specific Brand forums, which after all is responsible for me having an almost farkled up FJR (I hope JQL gets a commission). This forum has helped me immensly. I really like the fact that, while it is no NT lightweight, the FJR really feels more like an NT than it does a Connie C10.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That's a pretty bike Chris.. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well, is it a boy Yammy or a girl Yammy?

Mike
Good question! The NT is definately feminine and the Connie is definately Masculine.....So far, I think the Feejer is looking to be masculine, but it hasnt hit puberty yet.....

Top Bottom