Crankshaft screw cover

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Anybody have trouble removing the screwed cap over the crankshaft bolt to be able to rotate the engine for the timing marks? 10 mm female hex. I can only assume it has been Loctited in. The hex is getting deformed and it won't unscrew. It has never been off before. To get to the timing marks, I took out the plugs, put it up on the center stand, put it 5th gear and rotated the rear wheel to turn the engine. But I still want it fixed. I'm thinking of buying a 11mm male socket and grind it to a taper so I can drive into the female hex and get a really tight fit. Then I'd replace the cap. Thoughts?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mine got stuck after another shop put it in too tight. I ended up grinding a slot with a die grinder and using a 3" washer as a screw driver bit to remove it. I replaced it with a new one for better cosmetics. The 10mm hex wrench wouldn't move it even after using lots of penetrating oil and hammer blows.

Oh, I still have the old one if you want it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Jim's solution is as good as any in getting the damned thing off. It is prudent to then use an anti-sieze compound on the threads of the new part when reassembling and of course, don't overtighten. Anti-sieze is also recommended on the final drive inspection cap and other similar caps.

Mike

It must be a fairly common problem. The plug on mine tried to round out when I removed mine, and I barely got it out. I gently put it back with some anti-sieze and ordered a new one from ebay and later replaced it. I don't think mine had ever been removed since the factory, as I was doing the first valve adjustment at 8K miles.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...and of course, don't overtighten. Anti-sieze is also recommended on the final drive inspection cap and other similar caps...Mike]

+1 on that!

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks for the replies. I bought a 7/16 Allen Key, (Chinese), cut about 1.5 in off it with a good hacksaw blade - it was not that hard, then filed one end until I was able to drive it in full depth into the hex of the plug. Perfect tight fit. I then got a 7/16 socket on the other end and I guess I had about 80 ft lbs on it, and was tapping it at the same time. It just chewed up the female hex in the fitting and still didn't move. I tried 3 times getting fresh bites but nothing. The filed male hex was still perfect - that cap is so soft. So it was the $1 chisel from the local pawn shop, driven by tapping with a hammer near the outside that eventually got it broken out. This time the soft metal was an advantage as the chisel got a bite easily. Funny thing is it moved the tiniest amount then was free. I wondered if the swelling of the O ring may have been the cause. $12 for a new cover called for. Well and truly mangled now. But at least I did not have to take the entire cover off which was plan C.

Top Bottom