10W-40 full synthetic oil, or 10W-30 synthetic blend oil?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I know what I'm about to say is going to rankle many - I run Walmart Super Tech 15-40 in everything I own, including the NT, except in the summer when the daytime temperature is consistently over 70 I run Super Tech 20-50 in the air cooled Yammy. I always change oil @ 3mos or 1000 to 1500 miles, whichever comes 1st. I have never had an oil related issue ever.
In the last century, before clutch eating additives, I used just about any automotive oil in my 1983 Goldwing and toured with it 18 years.
As long as the Supertech doesnt have the special slick energy saving additives, even if it doesnt meet JASO MA standards, you are probably doing little/no damage to anything. But if you are trying to save money, then why not run the inexpensive JASO MA RotellaT 15-40 for $13 a gallon and change it twice a year? I am not being sarcastic or critical, but your cause and effect analogy holds little water. You could change the oil weekly or yearly and not have any oil related issues, because modern oils are so very good. The only oil related issues of this century were the fantisy change intervals dreamed up by marketing depts that caused engines to sludge up ...
It would be interesting to see if the Official 10-30-40 reccommended by Mother Honda does produce better milage than 15-40. It may well do that. Our circa 1985 Honda Civic Wagon had us use 10-30 IIRC in the standard tranny for better milage and that sucker got 40 mpg over the road. Now many cars use 0-w20 or something like it for better milage.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I know what I'm about to say is going to rankle many - I run Walmart Super Tech 15-40 in everything I own, including the NT, except in the summer when the daytime temperature is consistently over 70 I run Super Tech 20-50 in the air cooled Yammy. I always change oil @ 3mos or 1000 to 1500 miles, whichever comes 1st. I have never had an oil related issue ever.
What you use in yer own stuff should rankle no one! The WM Super Tech 15-40 is a good oil manufactured by the largest blender in the US, Warren. They use quality base stocks and although their additive packages may not be as robust as the majors it is quite adequate for the OCI you are using.

Mike

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you change oil every 3000mi or sooner then you can use any type you want and it will work fine. Just make sure the weight is correct for your engine and environmental temperature range.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
This topic has been discussed on every motorcycle website for at least the last 20-years. Time to let the dreaded "oil thread" die.... :doh1:

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
We could always discuss car tires and the dark side.
It is always fun to talk about subjects that don't have 1 right answer.

Brad

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That's an easy one... None! I "camped" enough in the Army....:rolleyes1:
I did too, but, that was long enough now that I don't mind it when done in a civilized manner :)

PS most of my Army camping was inside a tank, APC or jeep. Making sure to put a poncho over the hatches so water would not drip in.

Top Bottom