Crash Bars Highway Pegs

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
I ordered the Hepco Becker crash bars simply as an anchor point for highway pegs. I just really think that being able to stretch my legs will be a big deal, and I just couldn't get excited about the mic-o-pegs. Once I get the bars installed I will get some adjustable pegs...

http://www.motomachines.com/Engine-Guard--Honda-NT-700-V-Deauville_p_475.html

FWIW - I asked Albert at MotoMachines (who has access to the Hepco stuff) if he could also source the large Deauville pannier lids and suggested that maybe we could do some kind of group buy deal...Ill let you all know what his response is.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pete, I don't know if Albert will be able to do any better than David Silver Spares on the big lids. They don't always have all the colors on hand, but it seems as if they do a pretty good job of getting what you need if you're maybe willing to wait a bit. They purchase classic bikes here and ship them to the UK for refurbishing and resale there, and then fill the shipping container with stuff to sell here on the return trip. Their shipping charge for anything is $17. When I bought stuff from Honda of Bournemouth and David Silver Spares UK, the shipping charge seemed to run about $100.

Plus David Silver Spares US, sold me one big lid. Nobody else would sell less than two. They also carry a fairly broad range of parts for the NT.

But it never hurts to have a backup source.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
TheHepko Becker tank guards are a supreme investment for mouning your forward pegs on. I had Kuryakin for a 15oo Goldwing n mine and they were wonderful!!! The HB unit also worked well with the Areostich large pannier bags as a mouting place to secure the straps too, NS THOSE Bgs lwt me stay up during DEER STRIKE AS BAMBIE HIT THE BAG BUT ONLY LEFT SOME SKIN nd fur. The items in the bag took and absorbed the initial impact of her body after the front fender shattered and penetrated her throat.

Eldon

tawilke46

I too have the Hepko and Becker crash bars. They fit well and do protect the front plastic. Downside is they are fairly heavy, but at least they are sturdy, hence the weight. I also had difficulty fitting highway pegs to them. My first attempt had the pegs too low and would scrape the pavement in a turn. Mounted them higher, the tip over wings prevented my feet from reaching the pegs.
You have to accomodate the tip over wings. Either above or below. Been thinking of mounting pegs to the tip over bar through the vent hole on the bottom of the plastic cover. That would be ideal, for me anyway. YMMV.

OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
I'm thinking these brackets may move the pegs back far enough that I can get my leg underneath the tip over wings. Maybe allowing the mounting high enough to not have concerns about cornering.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EykPhF9xL.jpg

Also I'm thinking that I could get the really pointy, tough guy pegs to deter Bambi from diving onto the bike...
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Footrest-Mounting-Diameter-Sportster/dp/B01BCZJRPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460143971&sr=1-1&keywords=highway+pegs+bamboo

Also, Somehow it's a major conflict of interest for a Hepco importer to import Honda OEM Deauville panniers. Seems that some of us are still scared of the Germans...Maybe the Krauts want to make there own Hepco lids? Go figure. So...nothing ventured...

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I made some crude highway pegs for my out west trip last year. I have the skidmarx lower cowl which made trying to attach anything hard. they work good.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I'm one of the wierd ones. Really don't like highway pegs. If I need to change leg position I like to rest my feel on the passenger pegs. Yep, bend them further back.

If I put my feet in front it tilts my pelvis and my lower back hurts.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Everyone has different issues and needs. For me my legs never need a stretch. It usually my shoulders that start to give me fits.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One of the advantages of having short and stubby legs is that when I need to stretch I can just dangle my feet without hitting the ground. (Of course, that got me stopped by a Wyoming Highway Patrolman once who insisted that I was in violation of the "motorcycle code." He didn't write me a ticket, but gave me a warning. He was convinced that if my foot touched the pavement it would either be ripped off my leg or would rip me off the bike.)

My shoulders used to really bother me before the electronic cruise control. They still do -- at least the upwind shoulder if I ride more than 100 miles or so in a strong crosswind. Living out here, it's often hard to avoid doing that. They day I rode back from Big Sky, I had a 20-35 mph crosswind from my left for over 700 miles.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
He was convinced that if my foot touched the pavement it would either be ripped off my leg or would rip me off the bike.
I know a guy who broke his left ankle while dangling his feet. Leaving our company parking lot he some how caught his boot toe and got a really nasty twist from it. To add insult to injury in the process he dropped the bike on the ankle he had just broke and burned his lower leg...:rolleyes1: Not very common but it can get you...:eek1: We still call him "GrandPaw", after the character on the Real McCoys, as he had a bad limp for quite awhile...:smile:

OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
If I listen to you guys long enough it begins to sound like motorcycling is dangerous!
I just know that moving my legs helps me a lot. As a new rider I seem to be always reminding myself to relax.
My biggest issue is my hands getting numb. I just ordered some foam grip do-dads, cause I liked those on my training NT...
I haven't had any other comfort issues so far. My longest time in the saddle was maybe 3 hours of a 5 hour ride...so mostly I'm just planning ahead. I have gotten cramps in my hip, but I just stand up on the pegs for a second and that seems to help.
I've just about gotten all my camping gear ready to go. Just waiting on ma nature to give me the go ahead! Tick tock.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Heck, I drag a foot on the pavement a lot during cold and wet seasons. Just to test how slippery the road is. I have been surprised a few times by thin layer of ice on the road or that really slippery feeling right after it starts raining. Or a layer of sand, like the stuff left by the road crews after a snow.

Yes, you can get your boot jammed under the bike if you touch down too close to the bike. The toe will 'grab' and the heel will jam under the frame/exhaust/pegs/etc. If you have rear crash bars you might check clearance there as well.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
RedLeader1 said, "I know a guy who broke his left ankle while dangling his feet. Leaving our company parking lot he some how caught his boot toe and got a really nasty twist from it. To add insult to injury in the process he dropped the bike on the ankle he had just broke and burned his lower leg... Not very common but it can get you... We still call him "GrandPaw", after the character on the Real McCoys, as he had a bad limp for quite awhile... "

That really isn't funny, Wayne, but I can identify with it. After I'd had the long discussion with the young whipper-snapper WHP who wrote my warning, I rode several months with no issues. But then one afternoon as Joanne and I were riding up Hoback Canyon southeast of Jackson Hole. We had spent that morning and afternoon walking around Yellowstone NP and I had decided to wear tennis shoes rather than my MC boots. I was swinging up the canyon, watching the sunlight on the canyon walls and didn't see the rock lying in the road. I kicked it with my left foot and my first reaction was that I'd probably broken it. But we rode on, and by the time we reached our friend's house, it wasn't hurting as bad. It wasn't broken, but it did get pretty swollen and black. Since then, I only dangle my feet when I'm watching the road.

I AM capable of learning. Don't always do it, but I'm capable of it. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom