washing tips, Tourmaster series 2 jacket

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
Tag says machine wash...take the pads out? If I take them out I'm afraid the Velcro will load up with lent. Any advice will be appreciated.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Use Techwash, and don't wash with towels. Your jacket does not produce lint.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just remove the pads from my Tourmaster Transition 3 and wash in warm water and hang up to dry. It's on its third washing and still holding up well. Mike

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Take the pads out and 'reseal' the velcro. I've washed my Flex III jacket about 10 times now. Same with the pants.

Put it through at least one extra rinse cycle. I run mine through two extra rinse cycles. Gets all the soap out and restores the water resistance.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Are y'all washing these jackets at home or taking them to the laundramat to find a big front loading Euro-Washer?

I don't see how you would fit an adventure jacket into a home washer and have the load balanced at all

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I either hand wash mine in the bathtub or use a large commercial washer at the laundromat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I’ve washed my Aerostitch Roadcrafter in our top-loading home washer and it’s done OK. I prefer to wash it in a front-loader at the laundromat.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
When washing Jackets and Trousers make sure the machine and soap drawer are scrupulously clean before you start. Clean the drawer out then run a rinse cycle with some clean cloths in the machine.

Remove all armour and protective pads and check the labels on any removable linings as they may need to be washed separately. Turn the pockets inside out and reseal all the velcro.

Use NikWax Tech Wash followed by NikWax TX.Direct to restore the waterproofness. After washing put on a clothes hanger and leave for about 24 hours to dry. Remember to leave the pockets turned inside out otherwise they'll be still full of water afterwards DAMHIK :redface:

I find that washing only one garment at a time produces the best results. Wash the jacket, take it out, wash the trousers take them out, waterproof the jacket then waterproof the trousers. Though I do tend to wash the jacket and trousers at the same time for speed.

Finally, afterwards, I run another rinse cycle with just cloths in the machine to remove the traces of TX.Direct. Waterproof shorts are not something you want :D

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Aerostich recommends Tide (original formula) for washing their jackets & pants. I tried it on my Darian pants and they turned out cleaner than with Tech Wash so I did the same with my Tourmaster jacket. Both were treated with Nikwak TX-Direct after that washing.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
A home front loader works well for washing your riding apparel. A front loader spins very fast and you can then just hang the apparel for drying if you choose. Jacket liners are not washed with the jacket, due to adding water repellent to the mix (and maybe 3 or 4 washes of apparel to liners). Don't get in the habit of washing to often, especially motorcycle riding jeans.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I just toss them in our front loader at home. I use regular washing detergent, not any other treatments in the machine. If I want to add treatment I will do it in a tub by hand or spray it on.

Why not riding jeans? Mine are washed at least a couple of times a week and the current ones have served me well for more than 4 years. I wear them to work every day. Two pair worn on alternating days. The jeans are washed with all our other clothes, including the dryer, no special treatment. Just don't use bleach on them.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700, silver
just a final comment on washing the jacket. The Velcro strap at the collar was very dirty and I had a spot on the front, possible food stain, that didn't come out in the wash. Wife suggested using dish soap and a old tooth brush....I got a cup of warm water, dabbed some dish detergent directly on the stained areas and scrubbed with the wet tooth brush, rinsing the brush frequently, after several minutes I could see that the grime was being lifted into the soap...tossed the jacket and my riding pants back into the wash...they look great. Pads are back in, ready to use.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
We used to use dish soap in the field as a waterless soap for mechanics and other greasy cleanup jobs. Rub it in all over and just dry off with a towel (or on grass/leaves). Hads were a little slippery for a while but they also didn't dry out as badly.

At home I dilute dish soap 50/50 with water for the same use.

Top Bottom