Faded Plastic / Wipe New

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That looks like a good idea. My plastic looks pretty ratty.

Too bad I don't have some plastic parts that I could renew on me too.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yeah, my plastic needs bit of help too, but I'm always a bit skeptical of the stuff you see on TV.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yeah, my plastic needs bit of help too, but I'm always a bit skeptical of the stuff you see on TV.

Mike
I agree Mike. I've seen products like that that look wonderful with one easy wiping. But then after a week or so it looks worse than before. I'd try a small area first before doing the whole thing. But, in general, Rustoleum products are good.

torbinso, we are standing by for your evaluation of how long the improvement lasts for you.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I hope it works. I just bought a two pack for the price of one so I will know soon enough.

Seagrass

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have not tried this wipenew stuff but tried everything else. Must have 8 bottles on the shelf. None worked. My NT is parked outside 24/7 and the plastic turned gray quickly. I resorted to painting it and it has held up fine since.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
To revive this old thread, what process did you follow to revive the plastic? what was the paint used?

Bike
2010 NT700V
I didn't waste any time on the various wipe-new products either. After cleaning the panels I felt like painting, I put down 2 - 3 coats of Adhesion Promoter, followed by 3 coats of duplicolor Trim and Bumper paint. Both should be available at your local Advance Auto. It's holding up pretty well since I did it about 10K miles ago. 1 or 2 panels have a few spots that need touch up but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Did you clean the panels with emery paper etc. to remove the top brittle layer? Or it was just wipe with damp rag and paint once dry?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I painted the black plastic with Krylon Fusion for plastic. I believe it was satin black. The name might now be Krylon Fusion all in one. No primer is needed. I just lightly sanded and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol

Top Bottom