Sling Shot Racing adjustable front fork caps.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I'm looking at 'SlingShot Racing' front fork preload caps to replace the factory caps on my NT. Manufacturer description says they provide you with 10 mm of adjustment...will 10 mm make much difference?
I may be trying to fix something that isn't broken....front end dives pretty hard when braking hard...may, or may not improve handling...
I should ad that I have no oil leaks, nothing to indicate that there is anything wrong with the factory set up. I was always a little surprised that the front suspension wasn't adjustable...especially since Honda calls the NT a "Sport" tourer.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I thought about putting adjustable caps on mine too but the more I thought about it the more I realised that I like it just the way it is.
I always use the back brake first which, as you know, also applies a little front brake.
This preloads the front end a little bit and reduces the dive.
Try it.

Macka

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Preload typically is an adjustment for sag (sets the ride height correctly for sufficient suspension travel). Adjusting preload doesn't change the spring rate.

If I didn't like the amount of dive, I would be looking at changing the springs (spring rate change) or fluid (dampening change).

I'm looking at 'SlingShot Racing' front fork preload caps to replace the factory caps on my NT. Manufacturer description says they provide you with 10 mm of adjustment...will 10 mm make much difference?
I may be trying to fix something that isn't broken....front end dives pretty hard when braking hard...may, or may not improve handling...
I should ad that I have no oil leaks, nothing to indicate that there is anything wrong with the factory set up. I was always a little surprised that the front suspension wasn't adjustable...especially since Honda calls the NT a "Sport" tourer.

In general....the first 1/3rd of travel (sag) is adjusted with the preload....the adjustable caps make it possible to change that setting without removing the caps - normally the preload is changed by adjusting the length of the spacer on top of the spring.

The middle 1/3rd of travel is adjusted by changing the spring rates, and likely would help reduce fork dive at the expense of providing a stiffer ride.

The last 1/3rd of travel is adjusted by how much oil you have in the forks....the higher the fluid level the less air space on top....and the stiffer the fork becomes at the last 1/3rd of the travel.

Just changing the fork caps is not likely to help much with fork dive.

Here is an article that explains how to check your sag.....and how much sag you should have.

http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom