[Review] National V-Stream Winshield

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm honestly surprised at the number of NTers who've experienced Cee Bailey cracked windshields. I've had my Cee Bailey for around 45k miles and never had any problems. I believe mine is a +4" model. Before installation, I did removed the sharp edges from the mounting holes on the windshield as they can sometimes allow a crack to start. Take a look at the holes on the standard Honda windshield and you'll see the difference. Also, my forks are modified and considerably more compliant than stock so that could (?) reduce some shock to the windshield. :)

ps. I had a V-Stream for a while but only used it during the colder months and never did care for the increased amount of windshield shake and visual distortion at the top; conversely, the additional width at the top did a great job in keeping cold air off my shoulders. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
<snip> I'm honestly surprised at the number of NTers who've experienced Cee Bailey cracked windshields. . .
Mine were +6. In looking at the mounting brackets on the NT, designed for the much shorter OEM shield, there really is too much unsupported area for a taller acrylic shield to handle.

Here is my first failure - it was catastrophic - frankly, I was amazed the thing didn't hit my helmet on the way over my head.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...In looking at the mounting brackets on the NT, designed for the much shorter OEM shield, there really is too much unsupported area for a taller acrylic shield to handle...]

Lots of truth to that! I never run with my +4 raised all the way up so that may have helped it survive. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had three CeeBaileys crack and fail. Never quite as catastrophically as Comanche's, but I slathered 100mph tape all over the screen to hold it together for the remaining 1200 miles of the trip I was on when the first one broke. The next two, I stop-drilled and got a few thousand more miles out of. I will give CeeBailey credit for replacing the first two without cost.

I like the V-Stream and appreciate the extra wind protection.

Tonydtiger1971

I might be interested. What is it that you did not care for with the VStream?
The windshield is very nice, just a little too tall for my taste. I prefer to have the bike more on the sport side of the sport tourer and the standard windshield works for this.

chervas

Ok, and what would that enticing price be to which I will find myself disarmed and unable to refuse? :biggrin:

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
It is a nice design, but I did manage to crack mine in windy conditions just as easy as the comparable CeeBaily I had.

Thus far I have broken a +6, +4, and a V-stream...the +2 is the only one that has lasted thus far for me.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Highway speeds, but we get a lot of windy weather down here on the Gulf Coast, so those taller windshields take a beating.

Bike
2011 Pearl Black NT700VAB
I just placed an order for the V-Stream from Motorcycle-superstore.com. I'm glad I read this thread because I was going to order the Cee Bailey's +2 from CeeBaileys.com but when I was checking out, I was presented with a 29.99 shipping charge so I logged in to this forum and searched for windshield and ended found this thread. Motorcycle-superstore.com ships free!

My hearing is now getting bad because of the constant buffeting noise through my helmet because of the wind turbulence from the stock windshield. Thanks to all who gave positive reviews to the V-stream.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
In looking at the mounting brackets on the NT, designed for the much shorter OEM shield, there really is too much unsupported area for a taller acrylic shield to handle.
The brackets are too short, especially if you ride with the V-Stream all the way up like me. Maximum quiet zone for myself and the wife. I keep it extremely clean and consider looking thru it just as normal as looking thru a car windshield. Last year it diverted a 60 mph bird as if the bird were a ping pong ball. No damage. Bird came sideways out of some bushes and I believe would have impacted me on my sunglasses if I had been looking over the top.
Last summer I cracked the V slightly, and came up with an easy fix that any of you can easily make. Wife and I were running 68 mph on interstate, V fully up. Road construction with pavement ground down prior to a bridge. Probably re-paving the next day. No "BUMP" sign. Impacted concrete entrance of bridge HARD. The left grip made my hand sting. Saw the V flex hard. Next day I looked for damage and saw a 1" crack going from the top of the left support bracket toward the center of the shield. I decided the contact area between brackets and shield could be greatly enlarged by making backers. Found some stiff stainless sheet metal and cut 2 pieces 1 1/2" x 6". Rounded corners and sprayed black. They look like bookmarks. Drilled holes to match brackets. Bolted it all together w/backers sandwiched between brackets and V-Stream. Outstanding increase in rear support for the screen. Zero increase in the crack's length after a couple thousand miles. Zero cost, much peace of mind.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Crowbuster, one thing you can do to stop a crack from growing is drill what's called a "stop-hole," a small (1/16" or smaller) hole at the end of the crack it stops the stresses on the plastic from spreading. A&P (Aircraft and Powerplant) mechanics use it to stop cracks from growing in plexiglas windscreens on aircraft.

During my ride on the How the West Was Won route last weekend, I ended up putting my V-Stream almost all the way down and then, while in some strong winds in Wyoming, started experimenting by moving my hand around to see where the edge of the "pocket" of still air was. With the screen all the way down, it was at least 6" above my head, and at least 9" on either side of it, even in pretty strong cross winds. On my two Concours, i decided that Clearview's +2" screen was the best, but they don't make a screen for the NT.

I had three CeeBailey's +4" screens during my first 95,000 miles, and all of them broke. I'm guessing that something like the backers you made would have stopped that. So far my V-Stream is working great and shows no signs of cracking. We get some pretty strong winds out here in the West (both in the mountains and out on the Plains into Kansas and Nebraska) and the V-Stream is the best screen I've used so far.

Bike
2011 Pearl Black NT700VAB
My hearing is now getting bad because of the constant buffeting noise through my helmet because of the wind turbulence from the stock windshield. Thanks to all who gave positive reviews to the V-stream.
I rode almost 200 miles yesterday on mixed highway and and rural roads. I can now enjoy my Bluetooth music on my helmet because of almost negligible wind noise on my helmet! I have it on the second position.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Just a heads up...I rode home from work today - 70 miles in moderately strong crosswinds and some pretty fair buffeting from a bunch of 18-wheelers. I was pretty annoyed with the V-Stream shaking the bike and that it needs to be right where I stare at the top edge to get the wind over my helmet.

Because I find the CeeBailey +2 to work a lot better for me with MUCH less shaking and smoother airflow as well as being able to have it well below my line of sight on the Interstate I decided to put it back on. When I removed the V-Stream I found a 3/4-inch crack starting from one of the mounting holes. The shield has less than 3000 miles on it and I'll be giving National Cycle a call in the morning.

Cheers!

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I ran with the V-stream down 2 notches - just enough to find the quiet zone. I hate looking through a windshield and will avoid it whenever possible. I am 6-2 and run the +2 either in the first or second notch down from the top. I think I'll try Crowbuster's idea with the enlarged backing plates on my +2.

Top Bottom