[Review] National V-Stream Winshield

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The backers are virtually invisible. Just position them and drill your holes so the top of the backers are even with the top of the plastic front "beauty panels".

The only disadvantage I have found with the V-Stream is that due to its 4" taller height in the summer its a lot hotter to ride behind even when in the lowest position. I get zero airflow over my chest and all the upper vents in my riding suit are worthless. I am only 5'7" tall so taller riders may not have the same problem. This summer I will probably put the stock windshield back on to improve the airflow when commuting and use the V-Stream the other three seasons. Fortunately changing out the windshield on the NT is really easy.
Yep, I am 5'-8" and shrinking, and in the hot summer rides I don't get any airflow with the V-Stream - I only get a bit of airflow in the top helmet vent, and on my gloved hands. In warm weather I put the stock windshield on, and I only put the V-Stream on when riding double or the weather cools down. The V-stream does a great job of keeping the buffeting wind off my wife when we ride double. I am wondering if I can put some of those round vents into the V-Stream like the old Vetter fairing used to have.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'm not sure that the round vents would help. There is already a 1 inch gap between the fairing and the windshield for air to go through. The Vetters' were flush mounted. If the air pressure on the front to back of windshield is right it might flow pretty good though.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The V-Stream is incredibly efficient at deflecting almost all of the wind off rider and passenger. This summer I got quite hot several times riding in 90 degree plus heat. I ride with the shield full up all the time. Very, very quiet. I have SERIOUSLY thought about buying the whole vent assembly for a GoldWing (about $150). With some creative effort I wonder if it could be cleanly mated to the Stream? I think it would fit. My only worry is: would the screen be dangerously weakened by cutting a rectangle big enough for the vent to fit. If it didn't work, well I have done far crazier things. Opinions please....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I had my first '99 Concours, I put two of the Vetter vents into the stock windscreen. They helped. Some.

Then I switched to a Clearview screen and one of the options with it was the Goldwing vent. It worked better.

I like the V-Stream on my NT better than either of those windscreens. But it can be hot. I had my screen all the way down on my way into and out of Mexico.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The V-Stream is incredibly efficient at deflecting almost all of the wind off rider and passenger. This summer I got quite hot several times riding in 90 degree plus heat. I ride with the shield full up all the time. Very, very quiet. I have SERIOUSLY thought about buying the whole vent assembly for a GoldWing (about $150). With some creative effort I wonder if it could be cleanly mated to the Stream? I think it would fit. My only worry is: would the screen be dangerously weakened by cutting a rectangle big enough for the vent to fit. If it didn't work, well I have done far crazier things. Opinions please....
If you do decide to cut a rectangle hole in your windshield, be sure to drill all four corners before cutting. A round corner is less likely to crack.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
just came back from my first ride of the season on the NT with the v-stream ... it was awesome ..

wind noise was down line 90% ... did not need ear plugs or the visor down....
vision through the screen was clear rand no issues with distortion ...
vibration was more than the ceebalie + 2 , but not enough to cause issues...
the gap between the farring and screen was sufficient to pump in air , therefore i did not get any of those vaccum / buffeting effect

I was running between 55 and 75 ... with the screen in full up position. Really liking it, should have bought 2 years back :)

Bike
2010 NT700V
The V-Stream goes on mid Fall at the highest position. Gets swapped out for the OEM windshield in Spring. Usually set all the way down.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've liked the V-Stream for over two years now. I had Empire Sport swap the V-Stream from Dudley onto Horse when I traded bikes. It hasn't shown any signs of wear -- no scrapes, scratches or cracks. I do have a little bit of optical distortion just below the top edge of the screen. I could eliminate that if I'd lower the screen a notch, but I like the quiet and freedom from buffeting at this setting.

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I'm very happy with my National Cycle V-Stream Shield, I did some mods to it, lowered it 2.5 inches by drilling four new mounting holes and then cut 2 inches off the bottom because it was covering the headlight after the new mounting location, no mods to the top of the shield. pic

Attachments

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I've tried CeeBAiley AND VStream and have found NO relief at any position from the roar surrounding my helmet. If I stand up in the stirrups and face the wind without the windshield its almost silent.

Don't know what else to try excpet a laminar lip

Top Bottom