WV NT Gathering, May 18-21, 2017, Davis WV

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
This will be our 5th year of this gathering and last year we suffered a little with the rain and cold temps but everyone had a great time. Davis is located at the eastern edge of WV and not far from the borders of VA, MD, and PA.

The onsite hotel is the Alpine Lodge, 850 Sawmill Lane, Davis (304) 259-5245, and they have extremely reasonable rates for clean, basic rooms. Our room had a mini-fridge and WiFi is also available but tends to be weak. The Sawmill restaurant is in the same building and most of us ate breakfast there each morning as we planned that day's ride. Davis also has 4 B & Bs, plus the Canaan Valley Resort hotel which is some distance away.

The closest campground is the Restrite (304) 259-5569 but they won't take reservations until May 1. From the Restrite, its about a 15-minute walk to the Alpine Lodge/Sawmill Restaurant and between the two is a gas station/convenience store. Blackwater Falls State Park campground, (304) 259-5349, is on the same road as the Restrite but much further up the road. WVRider (Duane) camps a lot and raves about the family-owned, Restrite so if I was a camper, I'd stay there!

Davis has some nice eateries and is only about 1/4 mile walk from the Alpine Lodge.

--> RSVP Here <--

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Woo Hoo ! On my calendar for next year ! Will have some awesome routes planned. Even an awesome one we didn't get to use this year through a spectacular valley and over several twisting mountain roads. Make plans to come join us next year.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
you're a good route planner, duane!!! what about the north east area of WV, near PA and MD? where the WV land gets real thin? any good riding here or places to visit?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Since I didn't get to make any of my big trips this year, I've put this one on my calendar. I may be taking my life in my hands, since the only other time I've had a deer kill, it was about 15 miles south of Canaan Valley State Park, back in 2007. Nevertheless, I'm planning on being there if the creek don't rise.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Wow, both Phil and Mellow at our event! It's gonna be great. :)

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I never found anything but 'A' routes in WV, (unless is gravel, then they drop to B-).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Goodness ! I better step up my A game on routes for this one... :cool:
From the 5 or 6 days I rode in WV in '07, I don't think there's any way (other than gravel) to plan a bad route. Just try to stay clear of those mangy little whitetail deer!!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Just try to stay clear of those mangy little whitetail deer!!
AND everything else too Phil. A few years ago I was headed across US 50 in WV to see John Browning (who we haven't heard from in a while) and from a half mile away I saw a black garbage bag blowing acorss the 4-lane. I didn't see it blow all the way across and when I got closer a black bear jumped over the guard rail right in front of me and tried to get killed on the highway. And remember in Alaska I almost hit a bear that bounced off the car I was following.

Then last year I came close on a windshield turkey twice, once in MO and once in AR. Last month I nearly hit a suicidal skunk near home. He tried his best to counter act my evasive maneuvers. The closest "near hit" to a deer was one that appeared from under a semi that I was behind in Madison traffic. It was already dead but would have wrecked me if I had hit it. I try to leave myself adequate forward view, but in heavy traffic it is impossible.

So, everybody - be careful out there.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
junglejim - Good advice! If possible I avoid following a vehicle that blocks forward vision such as a truck, van, etc., and semis are especially bad!

Will you be at the WV gathering? You can always trailer your NT to WV if need be. :)

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Ride as careful possible, I recommend a insurance to bring you back home if more then 150 miles from home. Good Sam saved me lots on a trip home after an accident.
Lawrence Grodsky, Top American expert on motorcycle safety
and well known to thousands of motorcyclists for his monthly magazine column on safety and his on-the-road training courses, died April 8 2006 when his motorcycle collided with a deer. He was 55.

“Deer: Unbelievable as this may sound, nearly one out of every 200 vehicles in the United States will collide with a deer this year! In 2005 they roam the neighborhood the way dogs did in the days before leash laws. Unlike inattentive drivers, who invade our space from well-known coordinates, deer explode at full gallop out of anything vaguely green. It's a game of chance, but the odds are markedly better for those who manage their speed and who understand where and when deer are most active.”
Lawrence Grodsky

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/deerohdeer.aspx

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

[/URL]

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Will you be at the WV gathering? You can always trailer your NT to WV if need be. :)
Don't know. Lots of factors in play right now.
One is I have relatives to visit on the way (in the Dayton OH area). That one goes both ways. Good to visit the relatives, but it may make the trip too long.
Right now I don't plan to go, but by spring my motorcycle itch will need to be scratched.

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I am going to try and make it too. It would be great to put some faces with the folks who have helped me with my various projects and learning all about the NT. Phil is one guy I have to share a Coke with! Jim

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Just an FYI: for anyone considering trailering, the Alpine Lodge has a huge parking lot so finding a good spot will be easy. In fact, I might be trailering from OH - as silly as that seems - mainly to try out my car & trailer combo before taking a summer trip to Colorado for MSTA STAR in June 2017. :)

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
WV NT Gathering, May 18-21

It's only about 3-months away so you should start planning to attend the NT event in Davis, WV. I'm sure Dwayne (WVRider) has plenty of new routes planned for us and let's hope it's a little warmer than last year when Davis received a blanket of white stuff on Saturday night. :)

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
2017 is here and time to drum up support. i'll be attending and arrive Thursday night till sunday morning when I leave ( if we don't have winter weather coming in like last year).
hope Phil's leg knee replacement goes well and he heals fast to make the trip he is planning. he just might bring that large sucking sound as he rides 80-85 mph and others out west follow him!!!!

duane look at post #4 for possible idea???

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
We're also planning to arrive on Thursday, May 18, and will be staying at the Alpine Lodge. :eek:

Phil Tarman - my mileage icon should say 50K because I passed that point more than a year ago and you did sent me a 50k sticker. Please make the change for me. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom