WV NT Gathering, May 18-21, 2017, Davis WV

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
A little over a week away and I'm excited. Camping gear all sorted out cause I used it from the 26th through May 4th during our NC Coastal bicycle tour and 2 day bicycle tour around Jamestown / Williamsburg area. Will be good to see you all again. Hope the weather warms a bit. Looking a 30 degree temps locally here and colder in the mountains.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I sure do wish I could be there with you guys. I've got my fingers, eyes, arms, legs, and toes crossed -- I see the knee doc on Wednesday and I'm hoping he'll clear me to ride again.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
reminds me of last year, we cut short by 1 day because of cold and snow approaching

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I am sorry guys, but won't be able to make it this year as plans have changed. Hopefully next year.
Hope your weather is good!
Jim

bicyclist

Weather report is looking promising. I haven't been to this shindig; what do you characters plan to do?

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Weather report is looking promising. I haven't been to this shindig; what do you characters plan to do?
I have a few routes mapped out that we can ride. We usually decide during either dinner the night before, or breakfast the day of, which loop we will do that day. I'm excited to put a few different roads in the mix so it will not be so familiar to those who have been attending a few years.

NOTICE ! NOTICE ! THE CAMPGROUND WE HAD PLANNED TO STAY AT HAS CLOSED DUE TO ISSUES THEY ARE HAVING AFTER A MAIN GAS LINE CAME THROUGH THEIR CAMPGROUND. LIKE NOT OPEN TILL JUNE. I WILL ATTEMPT, ON MONDAY MORNING WHEN THE ATTENDANT IS BACK, TO GET SOME SPOTS AT BLACKWATER FALLS STATE PARK FOR THUR., FRI. & SAT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO WAS PLANNING ON CAMPING. WE MAY EVEN HAVE TO MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS.

EDITED FRIDAY MAY 12 4:30PM

Last edited:

bicyclist

I have a few routes mapped out that we can ride. We usually decide during either dinner the night before, or breakfast the day of, which loop we will do that day. I'm excited to put a few different roads in the mix so it will not be so familiar to those who have been attending a few years.

We often have everyone come to our campsites, which is within walking distance of the motel, and enjoy sitting around the fire and talking motorcycling.

PS; Anyone coming from out of the area who is not familiar with the roads and would like a suggested route, I'd be glad to work with you on it. PM me with the direction you are coming from.
I'm thinking of hauling my CRF250L out there. It won't keep up with NTs on the road, but I want to ride some gravel in the Dolly Sods.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
URGENT NOTICE ! Restrite Campground is closed due to issues that occurred when a new gas pipeline was put through the campground. They had planned to be open by now however due to major issues will likely not be open till June. Anyone who was planning on camping will need to obtain other options. I tried to check with Blackwater Falls State Park however the lady that takes care of those reservations is gone for the day and will not be in till Monday. I do not see a group camping area there so we will need to attempt to reserve a few near each other on Monday morning.

Please let me know if you plan to camp and are coming and I'll see what I can work out with Blackwater Falls Campground on Monday. Sorry for late notice, just found out myself.

bicyclist

I looked at the Blackwater Falls website. They have 65 sites. I doubt they fill up at this time of year and they add a $5 fee for reservations. So, I'm not going to worry about it; I'm just going to show up. They offer a 10% discount for seniors and a 50% discount for senior WV residents. Sites are $25 with electric, $22 without.

edit: It's 1.8 miles from the Alpine according to Google.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Anyone thinking of camping should call the Alpine Lodge and get their rates because they are extremely reasonable. I typically attend 5-6 events a year, always stay in hotels, and the Alpine's rates are the lowest by far!

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I gave in and reserved a room at Alpine. If you still want to camp, you can contact Blackwater Falls reservation service after 8 am on Monday. 304-259-5216 ask for Cathy.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The temps look great in Davis for this coming weekend: Thur: 79, Fri 76, Sat 77. Both Fri & Sat have "AM showers" predicted but only 30-40% so to me that's like saying "it won't rain."

The wx report that I'm looking at says Thur - 20%, Fri -AM showers 50%, Sat - scattered thunderstorms 40%, Sun - scattered thunderstorms 60%. I hope you are right and I am wrong. Either way I'll be there.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
The wx report that I'm looking at says Thur - 20%, Fri -AM showers 50%, Sat - scattered thunderstorms 40%, Sun - scattered thunderstorms 60%. I hope you are right and I am wrong. Either way I'll be there.
Mine reads like your's Barry however I usually only look to make sure no snow :) It all looks good to me and I'll be glad to see you again my friend.

Edit: Oh, and PS, regardless of the forecast and sunny sky, the locals say the pronunciation of Canaan Valley is "CanRain Valley" LOL so bring a rainsuite :)

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I will be bringing a suggestion for next years event location in WV so we don't get tired of the same stuff. Although I think I have a few great routes for this year, I have been investigating rides, facilities, etc. and will bring the suggestion for the group to consider. It's always nice to see some different cows, as a friend of mine put it. ;)

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm bringing our camping chairs so we can sit around in the parking lot after dinner and tell lies about how fast we are...sometimes known as "bench racing! Do you think the Alpine would mind if we consumed adult beverages in their parking lot? :)

In regards to rain predictions, someone explained to me that for example a 50% prediction for rain means that somewhere in that general area, there is a 50-50 chance of rain falling and it may not be in Davis. I've ridden on days that had a 70-80% chance of rain and nary a drop fell on me!

Last edited:
Top Bottom