How long should cables last?

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I'm curious as to how long brake and throttle cables last...I've never kept a bike past the 2nd set of tires before so it's never been an issue. Of course there are always the occasional premature failures of any mechanical part...just wondering how long I should expect them to last.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Clean and lube them and you should get five or more years. Just watch for any fraying near the ends....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just watch for any fraying near the ends....
In 2012, we had a Pre-National Rally Rally at Rocky Huber's house near Basalt, CO. I noticed on Saturday of that adventure that I had wires sticking through the sheath on my clutch cable. The ferrule (the metal piece at the end of the cable) was split. We had ridden to Marble, CO, for lunch and I was planning on going to Montrose to visit my son and his wife on Monday. I was able to get the Montrose Honda dealer on the phone and order clutch cables (the stock one and the one for a TransAlp which is a couple of inches longer. The stock one got to Montrose on Tuesday at about 11:00 AM and I was on my way home by 2:00 PM.

I rode Sunday and Monday and probably put another 300 miles on the bike between the time I noticed the frayed cable and the time I got to Montrose. I did all my shifting without using the clutch and only used the clutch for stopping and starting. I don't think it would have lasted much longer, but the replacement has been there for a long time now.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In 2012, we had a Pre-National Rally Rally at Rocky Huber's house near Basalt, CO. I noticed on Saturday of that adventure that I had wires sticking through the sheath on my clutch cable. The ferrule (the metal piece at the end of the cable) was split. We had ridden to Marble, CO, for lunch and I was planning on going to Montrose to visit my son and his wife on Monday. I was able to get the Montrose Honda dealer on the phone and order clutch cables (the stock one and the one for a TransAlp which is a couple of inches longer. The stock one got to Montrose on Tuesday at about 11:00 AM and I was on my way home by 2:00 PM.

I rode Sunday and Monday and probably put another 300 miles on the bike between the time I noticed the frayed cable and the time I got to Montrose. I did all my shifting without using the clutch and only used the clutch for stopping and starting. I don't think it would have lasted much longer, but the replacement has been there for a long time now.
Roughly, how many miles would that have been, Phil? I am at 64K with the original clutch cable.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I still have my original cables going on 6 years and I ride in heavy urban traffic every day so its clutch shift, clutch shift continuously for about 15 miles. A couple years ago I did buy spares for all the cables and take them with me when I go on long trips. Cables usually break at the most inconvenient times.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
never lubed them yet, still going strong @140,000 miles. never even adjusted my clutch cable yet either.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I believe the clutch cable has an inner plastic or Teflon liner which acts as lubricant so you do not have metal to metal contact. The ones on my bicycle actually operate better if I do not use lubricant. They have Teflon liners. Not sure if the throttle cables have the same liners or not. Of course when they break its usually at the ends so its a good idea to put some grease at the upper and lower contact points.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My 34 year old Honda GL500I with over 40k miles has all the original throttle/clutch cables. I clean and lube them every spring. Rubber brake hoses will deteriorate over time just like all rubber and allow the hose to swell under pressure decreasing stopping power. I usually replace all rubber brake hoses on both my bikes and cars with braided stainless after the warranty has run out and never worry about them again.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My first clutch cable lasted about 50,000 and would still be good (I think) if the ferrule hadn't split. The 2nd one is at about 63,000 miles.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
After reading the thread I checked Traveller's cables and they are fine. I lube the pivots several times a year with graphite lube.

Mike

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have the original cables on my 96 KLR 650, if your bike in is kept indoors, mostly out of the weather and given reasonable care there is no reason they should not last the lifetime of the bike.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
84 BMWR100RT original cables still on. I do carry a clutch cable on long trips, mostly because I over pack anyway. Look at all these suspension bridges, those wire ropes last, and they move a little continually. When you check if frayed change, if not just ride.

ett

With my last street bike that had cable for the clutch; 2000 GSX-R 750. Each cable would last about 60k miles.
That was with all-weather riding, clutch cable not having as much protection as the NT's cable, and chain lube building up near the front sprocket and jamming the clutch release assembly.
Usually each cable would slowly fray near it's upper end and eventually the end break off completely.
I hoping the NT's clutch cable last longer.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Two things that play important bearing on cable life, , first is maintenance, cleanliness and lubrication.
Second is the type of roding, If a lot of stop & gp or playing in the twistys where a lot of gear changing is required you will go through cables much quicker than if you hit the open road and ride 800- 1000 miles in a days time.

Eldon

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
One of the most imporant factors is cable alignment and routing. The sharper the bends in a cable ESPECIALLY NEAR THE ENDS causes premature failure. I replaced my clutch cable early after installing bar risers which stressed the cable. I replaced the cable with a longer one that is working buch better and easier. I usually lube the cables throughly before installing them too unless they are the teflon lined ones. Most failures I've seen are near the ends which are easy to check and spot trouble coming.

Top Bottom