Wants to "stand up" when hitting a bump in a corner.

I am still getting a feeling for this bike. I don't often get up into the mountainous twisties, but this past weekend I scored a chance. One thing I notice, which is very disconcerting, is when leaned over in a corner and the bike hits a bump, the bike wants to stand up abruptly, to the degree that my line is temporarily affected, and after the bump, I have to make a bank angle correction as a result. It feels like it could be having to do with the rear end, but not sure. Is this frame issue, or suspension issue? Any thoughts? Still waiting for the stiffer rear spring, and soon the Ricor fork valves, but in the meantime, this bike is a god-awful pig. I'm still scratching my head how Honda could crank out a bike with suspension this crappy.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have found a similar thing and believe that it might be due to insufficient rebound damping causing a rapid geometry change more than anything else.
Just think of it as a Bronco underneath you and not a Pig. Stay loose, don't grip the bars too tightly, let it buck and it will settle down again.
You can ride through it provided you have good tyre grip.
It might quicken the heartbeat for a few seconds but that just wakes you up again.
Remember that it is a Tourer, not even a Sports-Tourer.

Macka

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Relax and go with the flow. You're probably way too tense on the bike.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I haven't really noticed this though I ride my suspension pretty stiff. I ride in the mountains of WV a lot and will actually watch for this. Do believe JQL makes a valid point also.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I get this same feeling occasionally (it actually happened last time I was riding the NT) and I backed off the rear suspension pre-load a bit (about a turn or two) and it seemed to improve the problem.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Turbo DV8
Over a quarter million miles riding motorcycles, and this is the only one that wanted to stand upright over a bump in the corner. Regarding being too tense on this bike, well ... that's sort of the chicken or the egg question. With the miles I've put on bikes, I learned long ago to "go with the flow," and keep a relaxed grip. It's just that with this bike, the corner starts relaxed, arms are loose, but God forbid a bump is encountered. Can't keep the arms relaxed when mid-corner the bike wants to deviate course, requiring a decidedly unrelaxed correction input.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dave, I can't say that I've ever noticed what you're talking about. But when I'm riding roads with very many bumps, I'm not cornering very near the limit. I've got a bit over a quarter million miles, too. I can say that I don't corner as hard as I used to back in the day when I had my Concours. But I did wad the Connie up one night up in the mountains west of here. I was in a 3-turn linked curve series and as I entered the last link, I felt way too fast. I tried trail braking and that will straighten a bike up if you don't push hard to stay leaned. I went off the outside of the curve into pea gravel and flipped the bike.

Totaled the bike, didn't hurt me too much. But it took me a few months to get a 2nd '99 Cooncours.

The older I get, the slower I go.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Older and Slower is wise Phil. Me too!
Perhaps you have a particular problem with your bike Turbo.
Maybe swapping with someone for a short ride will confirm if there is something wrong.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've got over 65K on Traveller as well and I can't say I have ever experienced what the OP is referring to.

Mike

OP
OP
Turbo DV8
How much over the speed limit are you? 20 or 30 mph...or more?[/I]

Chris
I don't go 55 in a 25 MPH corner. Many times I don't even go 25. I just put the stiffer Ohlin's spring in yesterday, so soon I will see if that helps. I suppose it could be caused or exacerbated by the Twisted Throttle Alu-rack, adapter plate, and Hepco & Becker trunk with some weight in it.

OP
OP
Turbo DV8
Older and Slower is wise Phil. Me too!
Perhaps you have a particular problem with your bike Turbo.
Maybe swapping with someone for a short ride will confirm if there is something wrong.

Macka
Are you telling me that you know who the other NT700 owner is in California? :rofl1:

Top Bottom