Value of NEW 2011 NT.

Hi,i keep reading the forum about NT's,dreaming about buying one if i ever manage to sell my present bike,at the same time i scan all the ad's i can find & a new 2011 has popped up at a dealer in Tn.,how would the knowledgeable folks on the Forum value that bike ?
Cheers,Graham.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree with Chris. Its way overpriced. That NT has been sitting on a showroom floor for a long time. At some point they just need to move on. $6K would probably get it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I would not even go the $6,205. The real value, for insurance purposes anyway, is much closer to the Trade In value of $4,275. As previously said the second you sign the papers you now own a "new" five year old motorcycle. If anything happens to it you need to be sure what your insurance would cover as far as its value. Low mileage doesn't add much value in the insurance world on this side of the pond. If I really, really, wanted it I'd show up with $5,000 cash and tell them that is my out the door price deal, to include all taxes, title and any and all fees, take it or leave it.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Hi,i keep reading the forum about NT's,dreaming about buying one if i ever manage to sell my present bike,at the same time i scan all the ad's i can find & a new 2011 has popped up at a dealer in Tn.,how would the knowledgeable folks on the Forum value that bike ?
Cheers,Graham.
Nice NT for sure but I second what's been said by my fellow NTers... As amazing as this 2011 NT700VA is, one can only hope going forward, the bike should keep its value or even appreciate over time. Unfortunately for this dealer and the rest of us mere mortals that own one, regardless of if you are buying a New or a Used one, both will follow a depreciation curve as the years go by. Also, current market value of ANY manufactured good is a function of the supply and the demand as well as the condition of the asset (bike) in question.

So while NADA bike prices are starting point, I think they are out to lunch and you should apply a good fudge factor (say .85) to bring things in-line with what these gems are trading for...

Cash used to be King.. I hope in 2016 it is still the case... Good luck!

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The advertisement clearly says the following so maybe the price listed is just that "a listed price" that is open for negotiation.

"Due to Honda's latest Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy we are not allowed to advertise our current Sale Prices on select models. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this causes but it will be worth the extra step when you find out what our discount motorcycle / ATV prices are."

Seagrass

OP
OP
Firstly,thank you all for taking the time to reply.
Yes that is the bike i've seen advertised & the quoted part of the add. in the reply from seagrass,is the reason i asked for advice on valuation.
In an ideal world i would have my Bike sold privately & go the to the dealer cash in hand & negotiate from a strong position.
Sadly i' started trying to sell my Bike when Mellow first advertised his DL650 & i haven't had a single genuine inquiry,so i'm left with trying to get the best deal i can with a trade deal with the Dealer.
I'm in Tn. at the end of this month,so armed with the knowledge from here,i'll see what i can do.
My intention has been to sell my Bike & buy an NT & not consider another bike,but on the Dealers website i've seen another Honda,which i have only in the last week become aware of(it's not available in the UK) the CTX700,which ticks a lot of boxes & is very well priced,but it will take a lot for me to divert from the NT.
Cheers,Graham.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
wELL TRADE IF YOU MUST, BUT REMEMBER THE DEALER WILL WANT TO STEAL YOUR BIKE ! NIVR YOU NEXT TO NOTHING FOR IT AND THEN GET FULL PRICE FOR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO BUY! I WENT TO TRADE MY nt A HIGHLY FARKLED 2011 ON A NEW 14 fjr, THEY GENEROUSLY OFFERED ME $2500.00 AND EOULDNT DO BETTER. pRICE ON fjr WAS VERY GOOD SO I BOUGHT IT OUTRIGHTBUT UNTIL MONEY CHANGED HANDS THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE SELLING A CONTRACT FOR FINncing also and I paid them with a check! the look on their faces was like I hS STOLEN THIER LUNCH nd dessert!!!

So even if you need to finance a part of your purchase go to your bank first and make your own arrangements to back up your bank account and sock it to them on that part at the last moment!:)

OP
OP
Graham, just a suggestion. Go to a CTX700 forum. This seems like a good one. http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ You can join, if you'd like, but you'll find what you want without even asking a question.

The biggest waste of time, is to ask on a CTX700 forum if the CTX700 is a good bike to buy. They wouldn't have bought one, if they didn't think it was. Instead, look for the modifications they make to their bikes. That'll tell you the short comings in the bike that you too will have to deal with. The other thing to look for is what they are asking for help on...what broke. What is a potential weakness in the bike. You'll get some honest answers that way.

Chris
Thanks,Daboo,i did that a couple of days ago,after i read about the CTX,it looks a decent bike,couple of minuses for me Chain(haven't had a bike with a chain since the mid 70's) & forward controls for me the biggest negative,but quite a few things i do like,light weight,apparently carries it's weight very low & well balanced & a big plus it actually looks like a motor bike & not a wasp or robot.
But the NT still ticks more boxes,except weight.

In terms of the Dealer having my pants down,maybe not,i think my Bike is far more desirable to the majority of US riders,even if i can't sell it:rofl1:

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Graham - I had found and inquired into that same bike about 3 weeks ago. I didn't get the impression the dealer wanted to budge much on the price. I ended up finding a one-owner clean 200 without the ABS for 1/2 the cost much closer to home. The nice thing about that one bike is the ABS which I agree would be a plus. But for me the travel expense in getting the bike and the additional cost, tax, etc. didn't make sense. As a newbie and just getting used to the bike I echo the others and other than getting used to the weight for me, I love the NT. Best of luck and I hope you are able to get the dealer to make your trade.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a friend who just moved from Greeley up to a town not far from Spearfish and is planning on coming to our National Rally there next month on his NC700. Larry has done some pretty good customization on his NC, especially in fitting a windscreen off another bike and fabricating some brackets to mount that and some lower plexiglass to make a fairly large pocket of still air. He's got the Honda panniers and says that he wouldn't go that route again but would probably look at soft panniers or a larger drybag. We rode from Greeley west through Rocky Mountain National Park, then up over Willow Creek Pass to Walden, then back east over Cameron Pass and down to Ft Collins and home here to Greeley. I was impressed that the NC seemed to have no trouble keeping up with me when passing or running at supra-legal speeds on the flats south of Walden. I was even more impressed when we filled up in Walden. I'd gotten 55.6
mpg and was feeling pretty smug until Larry walked over and told me that he'd gotten 84 mpg. I have put the NC back on my list of bike's I'd consider, but, for me, it's still got some negatives compared to the NT: 1) chain drive -- I know that modern chains aren't too big a hassle, but as long as Honda techs don't screw it up, the shaft drive is hassle-free; 2) significantly inferior weather protection -- I ride year round and the NT makes that more comfortable in the winter months; 3) no place to hide the control module of the Rostra cruise control I've got on my NT.

Plus, I agree with all that Vintage said about farkled bikes. I like my farkles and had ordered most of them in the two days between the time I signed the papers on my NT back in 2010 and the time I picked it up two days later. They are my farkles and an advantage to finding a low(er) mileage NT when and if this ever quits being mostly reliable transportation is that I can move the farkles to another NT without any big issues -- especially my Russell DayLong saddle that most definitely and most comfortably was made to fit my butt -- and can then try to find someone who wants a 120-150-200,000 mile used bike. Or I can have a parts bike.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman.Thanks for the info on the NC,i can't believe i'm typing this,but i'm getting more interested in the CTX,i have been single minded about buying an NT,once i sold my present bike,but my lack of success in selling it,has made me start thinking about trading into a Dealer & the CTX is much lower priced at dealer prices,which is a big attraction in my situation,with more & more limited time using the bike & my age creeping up,plus I don't know how much longer we'll be able to make the trip to Tn,both financially & physically,although we're both fit & able now,once you creep past 70,you never know & something i found out this week insurance starts to become a problem & expensive.
Many thanks to all who have helped in this thread,hopefully all will be resolved at the end of this month when we're in Murfreesboro Tn.
Just a thought if any forum members fancy a trade,give me a shout,does no harm to ask,(I HOPE):smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Graham, good luck with your decision. The CTX is, to me, the least attractive of the Hondas. It strikes me as a bike that's trying to be a cruiser/tourer. The panniers don't look very useable. But that's my opinion -- it sure doesn't have to be yours. :) (Isn't it nice of me to grant you the validity of your own opinion??)

OP
OP
Graham, good luck with your decision. The CTX is, to me, the least attractive of the Hondas. It strikes me as a bike that's trying to be a cruiser/tourer. The panniers don't look very useable. But that's my opinion -- it sure doesn't have to be yours. :) (Isn't it nice of me to grant you the validity of your own opinion??)
Yes thank you very much Phil:).
I do agree that the NC offers more versatility,but it's just too tall for me,i'm right on the edge with an NT,i always ride with my wife on the back & being on the very tips of your toes 2 up is precarious.
The CTX can be fitted with bigger aftermarket bags if required,but "IF" i end up buying the CTX i may just use a top box,i have to be really carefull that any bags don't interfere with the boss's legs,that can get really annoying for a passenger on 21 consecutive 400-500 mile days:D.
I have to be honest the biggest reason i won't consider the NC is my wife can't stand the Adv/Dual Sport style bikes,if it was left to her we'd have a Sportster or Bonnie.
I'm really hoping that when i'm actually in the States,i can be more effective in selling my back(rather than trying to sell it from the UK),if i do manage to sell it from ads. etc.then a used NT is back to being the bike i will buy.
Cheers,Graham.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Graham, You just hit on the only reason I would consider the CTX -- seat height. I have a 28" inseam and a Russell DayLong saddle which probably adds between an inch and an inch and a half to the height of the bike. I can get the ball of one foot down and touch the toes on the other one or I can flat-foot one and barely, barely touch the toe of the other on the other one. If I was carrying Joanne on pillion, I wouldn't feel very confident about the NT. I think it's taller than my '99 Kawasaki Concours was.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with many here. We are talking about one of the few remaining New NTs in the country and it comes with a warrenty and maybe you can buy an extended warrenty. Who cares if you pay 9K or 7K? Over the life of the bike, if you really like it, its nothing. Maybe it did sit in a crate for a long time....it has a warrenty. And its new. IMHO, there is no comparison to the CTX and very many other bikes. If I needed an NT I wouldnt hesitate on this rarity. (Frosty installed the NT lowering kit and it works fine, BTW. And a cruise control)
I said it before and I will say it again. I love my FJR, but if I had to give one bike up I would give up the FJR in a heartbeat and keep the NT. At my age, I appreciate the slow speed handling and paddling around ability of the NT more than a bike that will do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Right now, there is no better touring bike on the planet of its engine size and price point. Period. If there was a better one, I would own it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I test rode the NC700X.. did not like it at all, just said 'scooter' from the moment I pulled away. The look and fit and finish of the bike are excellent and all Honda but the short-shifting drove me crazy as well as the horn button being where the signal switch usually is.. ugh.. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it if I gave it a chance, the mileage numbers are quite nice. But, I like to rev a bike and hear/feel the torque so it was just too different for my liking.

I did not initially like the CTX bikes but they grew on me.. still haven't ridden one but maybe someday. The CTX1300 I may like simply due to it's ST1300 heritage so I'm probably biased but I was hoping some of the updates would make their way to a new version of the ST.. who knows if we'll ever see an updated ST.

I've never ridden an NT.. but stat on a few and they felt a lot like the DL 650 VStrom in many ways. The VStrom - even being a vtwin - is one, if not THE one, of the smoothest engines I've ever ridden.. I'd still have it if it just had a little bigger alternator. I may still end up with one at some point.

The Super Tenere is my steed of choice at the moment, if Honda had the VFR1200X out I would have gotten that but I'm a couple years late.. it's okay, I like the Super Tenere.. not nearly as light-feeling as the VStrom - which felt like a toy moving around in the garage - but it works well as a touring bike and that's all I need a bike for. I don't have any desire to go off the beaten path and find myself being eaten by wolves waiting for someone to show along after I've broken a leg.. lol..

I wouldn't pay more than the going market no matter what the item is, it's a bike so it's only going down in value unless you park it and never ride it in which case, what's the point? lol

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
"I wouldn't pay more than the going market no matter what the item is, it's a bike so it's only going down in value unless you park it and never ride it in which case, what's the point? lol"

In my life, I have overpaid for many things, mostly guns, bikes and cars. But I have been so darned happy with my purchases I didnt care a wit about the extra money....in fact, it actually scares me that I could have NOT bought some of those high priced items
and missed out on the fun/joy etc they have given me.... Its nice to underpay for items one really enjoys.....but at the end of the day, the happiness I have known by obtaining a new 2010 NT far out weighs paying $10,000 retail (2000 over market) for my left over 2010 NT.....maybe this is because I no longer look at certain material possessions in the light of what they are worth monitarily, past, present and future. I look at them as memories and enjoyment, past present and future, they give me.....and are still giving me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, I agree with your viewpoint. Plus, if you want a mid-size (6-800cc) sports-tourer, the only other option is the F800GT like Daboo bought. I need to go ride one, I guess, but after sitting on one, I wasn't sure that it could be made as comfortable. So, IMNSHO, the NT still has no real competition. A new '11 with a five-year warranty would give a lot of use before it would wear out.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Chris, I agree with your viewpoint. Plus, if you want a mid-size (6-800cc) sports-tourer, the only other option is the F800GT like Daboo bought. I need to go ride one, I guess, but after sitting on one, I wasn't sure that it could be made as comfortable. So, IMNSHO, the NT still has no real competition. A new '11 with a five-year warranty would give a lot of use before it would wear out.
I disagree, there are tons of bikes in the 600-800cc range that you can sport-tour on.. It doesn't matter if the manufacturer doesn't call them a sport tourer.. Heck, the VStrom 650 is an excellent sport tourer. They all have their little 'issues', some are chain, some not, some have more or less weather protection etc etc.. How many get an NT but change the shield or bags or put a different windshield? So, few are perfect out of the box, depends on the rider and if it's perfect for them out of the box. The best out of the box bike I ever had were my goldwings/GL1800 but I prefer a smaller lighter bike even though you could hope on a wing straight from the dealership and start a week-long trip with no issues.

However, if you buy ANYTHING at a dealer or new for that matter, you've probably overpaid.. darn!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
However, if you buy ANYTHING at a dealer or new for that matter, you've probably overpaid
So, what is the value of ANY motorcycle? To whom?
I'm at a point where it is more important to get exactly what I want instead of getting the cheapest price.
There is such a thing as "best value" too. That would place all of us on a Grom if we purchased that way.

I recently test rode a 2016 R1200 GS. What a nice bike. Wonderful low speed maners, great power, slipper clutch, electronic everything and handled great. I got back on my NT and rode away thinking this NT is way more comfortable. Beauty (and value) is in the eyes of the beholder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom