Sat on an Africa Twin today

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
A local (Boise area) dealer got an un-reserved Africa Twin this week.
Two earlier Twins had been reserved.
I didn't drive it but my general impressions were:

- The bike felt lighter that the NT.
- My inseam was too small to make me comfortable.
- I was surprised to see a parallel twin, not a V-twin as I anticipated.
- Lots of bells and whistles like switchable ABS, etc.
- Cool (plastic) handguards that I would like on my NT.
- Interesting seat cover material that felt like a wetsuit.

The dealer had no interest in anything other than full ($12,999) price plus set-up.

The same dealer also had a VFR1200X DCT in their show room.
The dealer had no interest in anything other than the full ($15,999) price plus set-up.
I sat on that and my general impressions were:

- The bike felt heavier that the NT.
- My inseam was still too small to make me comfortable.
- The V-twin (edited to V-four) seems more compact that the one on the ST1300.
- Wonderful and easily adjustable windshield height.
- Another set of cool (plastic) handguards that I would like on my NT.

SuperDave

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The same dealer also had a VFR1200X DCT in their show room.
The dealer had no interest in anything other than the full ($15,999) price plus set-up.
I sat on that and my general impressions were:

- The bike felt heavier that the NT.
- My inseam was still too small to make me comfortable.
- The V-twin seems more compact that the one on the ST1300.
- Wonderful and easily adjustable windshield height.
- Another set of cool (plastic) handguards that I would like on my NT.
Dave, you mean the V-4, don't you?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The VFR1200X is already competitive at it's MSRP with the Super Tenere so I don't expect that price to be all that negotiable for at least the next few months... after that, I'm assuming it will drop.

Bike
2010 Silver NT 700v
The VFR1200X is already competitive at it's MSRP with the Super Tenere so I don't expect that price to be all that negotiable for at least the next few months... after that, I'm assuming it will drop.
I was one of the people that wrote Honda USA a year or so ago before it was announced the VFR1200x would be imported to us. Told them bring that bike here with factory cruise control and heated grips and I'll be first on the list to purchase one. Took the VFR in a couple weeks ago for the driveshaft recall and they had a standard transmission model on the floor. Awesome motorcycle! The paint is very cool , metal flake black . They call it metallic sparkle black or something. The engine is definitely the star of that bike , and option for DCT transmission. For me, by the time you buy side cases and-or top box & some kind bash plate ( lower engine protection ) you will add another 2-3 thousand to the MSR 15-16 thousand. That just doesn't do it for me . Give it standard features similar to the Super Tenere ES at the same price point and I will more seriously consider . The 1200x may go the way of the 1200f, another GREAT motorcycle that was too expensive for the limited standard features that it offered.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I got to sit on both the VFR1200X and the Africa Twin at Sun Honda the day I learned my final drive was trash. On the VFR, I could touch a toe on each foot to the ground, but on the Africa Twin, I could barely touch one toe of one foot. These bikes just are not designed for us folks with short, stubby, little legs. I really like the Africa Twin. The VFR seems to be too much money for too few features. But it looks nice. :)

Top Bottom