Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: NT Accident Report

My Gallery

Re: NT Accident Report

I was standing in front of the big wall mirror in the bathroom, but looking straight ahead into it so I could see where the iphone was positioned beneath my neck. No neck brace on for the pics, and a big no-no to let my neck bend yet. So I just put the phone's camera on "Burst" mode and kept the button pushed while I moved the phone around and kept my head pointed straight ahead.

Gotta say though, the darned iPhone can "Burst" it's little *ss off taking pics like that. I had over 300 pics of my neck before I realized how many pics it would take per second that way. Duh!

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

May you heal as fast Falcon AF.
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

My Gallery

Hi all. I've talked to Phil and Frosty since my last post (almost a month ago now), so figured I'd bring everyone else here up to date.

Gotta love modern medicine. The massive pain prior to the surgery I was experiencing in my shoulder, along with the numbness and tingling in my arm, is gone. I'm off all prescription meds (I wanted off the narcotics!!!) and rarely use an OTC Tylenol Plus Muscle Relaxant now, but it's rare I need one. Usually a cold freezer gel pack on the back of my neck/upper back will relieve any stiffness, like after I wake up (still can get stiff from being in one position too long).

Doc also said I can take neck braces off if I am sleeping and/or in my own domicile, so I've been doing that for about a week now. Didn't realize how "weak" my neck muscles had gotten, 'cos at first even if I was just sitting down in a chair watching TV I could only hold my head up unassisted for about 30 minutes before the neck muscles started complaining. But that is getting better too as the neck muscles are getting exercised now when I don't wear the neck brace. Slow steps, but it's all progress. Doc still has me wearing hard neck brace if I leave my apartment, walking or riding/driving a car. Insurance policy in case I have an elder tripping moment or get involved in anything that could "snap" my neck and cause healing problem with the 3 bone grafts between the vertebra. Makes sense, and not a real inconvenience anymore now that I'm off the "whoopee" drugs, etc.

Having an unexpected, but not uncommon (I found out talking to my neurosurgeon), side effect from the surgery though. I have occasional vertigo moments when I go from sitting/standing to laying down, and particularly if I turn my head too far to the left. Doc says that isn't uncommon for patients with the extent of the surgery I had. Funny part is they (medical science) doesn't really know what causes them. They have 4 theories based on observation. One theory is an artery that passes through the vertebra can get "pinched" and cause minor sporadic bllod flow reduction to the base of the brain when turning your head. But neuro says that isn't my problem, as my vertigo episodes start as SOON as I lay down or turn my head. A pinched artery ould take a few seconds for the blood flow loss to have an effect. So I'm probably experiencing one of the other 3 theories of "you have a nerve in your neck/vertebral column since the surgery that is now sending a DIFFERENT signal to your brain than it has been for the last year when it was being 'crunched' from the accident. Your brain will get used to seeing that 'different' signal given a little time, and just start ignoring it." From my Internet research, that is exactly what appears to happen for most people who have had my surgery. They get the vertigo episodes (they only last a few seconds, and just feel like your head is mildly spinning like if you were drunk), and they stop happening usually within a couple months. Your brain will adapt to the new signal it's getting and use it along with all the other dozens of balance signals that HAVEN'T changed it gets from your body, then no more vertigo episodes. In the meantime, I can still drive my car, because I wear the neck brace while doing it, and that prevents me from moving my head far enough in any direction to cause an episode.

Including a couple after surgery x-rays of my neck. It took a titanium plate with 9 screws to hold everything together while the 3 bone grafts between the vertebra heal over the next year-ish. I'm not complaining. I do have restricted neck motion now, but not so much it is a quality of life issue. The pain is gone, and that is what is giving me BACK my quality of life.

Heck, Frosty even has me looking at going on a 15-day cruise in the not too distant future. :rofl1

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 02.jpg
    Last edited by FalconAF; 07-25-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed some personal information from pictures

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Your neck pictures sure make me glad all I've dealt with is a hand and knees!!

Wow! I'm sure glad to hear that you're doing so well. Keep it up!
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

This is great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT, Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V (Gone, but not forgotten!)
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

My Gallery

Glad to hear that you are doing better.
    2010 Silver NT 700, ROX riser, nothing else needed.

My Gallery

Glad to hear a positive report. Keep up the healing and spirits. You've come a long ways. I hope you enjoy the Cruise with Frosty.

My Gallery

That is great news. The screws in the X-Rays just don't look like they belong in the neck. I'm going to try to not need them.

Brad

My Gallery

Rick, It sure sounds like there might be light at the end of the tunnel. What I got from your post was both progress and hope. Baby steps are all you need to do right now. The big boy steps come later.

Wendell

My Gallery

Great news and amazing X-rays!
    Regards,
    John
    Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking than men spend thinking.

+ New Posts
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast