Gear indicator

Bike
2011 Black NT700

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You make the connection with the red DLC connector near the ECU box on the left side. You will need to take off the side covers.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I am very interested to find out if that works.
I don't know that it can.
As far as I know, there is no input to the ECU regarding gears other than Neutral.
If that is correct, there cannot be an output.
I have seen other units, in the past, that looked at rise and fall of revs in relation to speed but I believe they were unreliable and would often show the incorrect gear.
To get it right they need to have inbuilt "smarts" but there does not appear to be any in this unit.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong and I will buy one.

Macka

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Macka there are other units available out of Europe (or maybe USA, I cannot remember) that are available for around $170.

Members on this site have reportedly installed them and they do work. From what I remember when I researched them they too claimed to work from an ECU output.

Seagrass

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Well I made the purchase and we'll if it was worth it. Unfortunately the arrival date is between July 13th and Aug 16th.
Ride safe, Clint

Well I made the purchase and we'll if it was worth it. Unfortunately the arrival date is between July 13th and Aug 16th.
Ride safe, Clint
yeah...I'll wait and maybe install one this winter. sucks buying in June and waiting for it to arrive at the end of summer... Keep us posted.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Yes, a gear indicator would have been nice from big red. Here's what I do:

Assume gears 1,2 and 5 are obvious.

When it's safe to do so, look down quickly at the tach and speedometer. If your rpms are 4k at 40mph you're in 3rd, if your rpms are 4k at 50mph you're in 4th. It took some practice to learn this but becomes second nature with time.

Brad
2010 NT700V maroon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The other disadvantage to having a gear indicator is that you miss the thrill of shifting to a gear that isn't there. :)

That said, I shift to 6th less on the NT than I shifted to 7th on my 6-speed Concours.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I don't understand how a gear indicator would help and believe it would make you less safe if a newbie is always looking down to see if he's in the "right" gear. I have a good idea how fast I'm going without looking at my speedo. I also listen to my engine revs which tells me engine speed and whether I need to upshift or downshift. If I need to, I can glance at the tach.

VERY basically,.....If you look at the tach and you're at say, 2500 and not accelerating, then downshift one gear. Who cares if you're going from 4th to 3rd or from 3rd to 2nd? The only thing you need to realize at that time is you belong in a lower gear.
Nobody said you had to have a gear position indicator just like you do not have to have auto cancelling turn signal indicators. There are some instances for some of us where both can be convenient however.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
I have the HealTech on my NT and WeeStrom. Both have worked flawlessly for 4 years.

Wanda P.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have had a look at the Healtech Website.
This system obviously has a smart chip built in as it learns the relationship between revs and gears and holds it in memory.
The unit mentioned by the original poster appears to be a Chinese knock-off.
I will be interested to find out if the cheaper one works as well as the Healtech one.

Macka

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hello!

I connected it today. My bike is 2010 NT700V NO ABS Model.

You can find red cap under the seat. It is located left side of battery and near the PGM FI unit.

It runs very well. I'm very satisfied with it.

Be careful, When you connect at first, the RPM is climbed until 5000rpm automatically to match gear ratio.

Good luck to you. You can do it!!

Top Bottom