Personal Milestone Thank You...

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Compared to most of the riders here, this isn't much of a milestone.
For a new rider like me, it is.
I just passed 10,000 miles on any motorcycle.
12 months ago at 58 yo, having never ridden a motorcycle before, I took the MSF beginners course.
Did an unscheduled off road excursion late in 2015 and totaled that NT.
Bought one just like it, also in late 2015.
6000 miles in 2015, 2 different NTs, before the roads were covered with snow.
4000 miles in 2016...so far.

I write this to say thanks to everyone who got me this far without serious injury...I wouldn't trade those miles for anything. (OK, except a long week in Port Douglas, AU with Janine Turner)
I'm thankful for:
Not being injured in my rookie mistake accident.
Everyone who regularly contributes their experience and knowledge on this forum.
David Hough for writing "Proficient Motorcycling".
The outstanding places to ride here in this 4 state area. (I say only 4 states because the roads in Iowa are almost unrideable. Bunch of ethanol growing idiots! IMHO)

Thank you my friends!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pete, congratulations on the milestone! It's significant -- especially when you consider that many people would have hung up their helmet after that crash. Glad you stuck with it.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Every ride is a milestone, whether you been riding for 30 years or two weeks. Many people have owned a motorcycle for years and not ridden 10K. Ride safe and enjoy.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . Many people have owned a motorcycle for years and not ridden 10K. Ride safe and enjoy.
Agreed! 10k is a milestone.

A few years back, I was in the middle of a 4,000 mile ride - not on my NT, but on a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I'd stopped for fuel in the mountains north of Phoenix, when a gaggle of riders walked by. One of them noticed my Texas license plates and came over to ask if I'd really ridden that far.

"Shoot yeah - I'm on the way to Las Vegas" I said.

"How many miles you got on that scooter?" I answered that I had 28k on it.

He was astounded. He went on to say that he had owned his bike for four years, and didn't have 5k miles on it yet.

Enjoy - and in looking at the map on your signature block, you're putting in some very good miles.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Add my congratulations too Pete. Not only on your riding but also on your new "life", part of which is your motorcycling. I'm guessing they go together as things often do. I should introduce you to a friend of mine from my old Concours days who lives in Coon Valley. His name is Ken and Phil Tarman probably knows him (and if Phil doesn't remember he'll never admit it).

And thanks again for the hospitality and fellowship you extended to me when I passed throught Onalaska last May. Remember you're invited here.

Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pete, Doug mentioned the guy talking to him about not having as many miles on his bike as Doug had on his scooter and that reminded me of a conversation I had with a neighbor in Ft Morgan. I'd had my Concours for a bit over two years and I'd been to two COG Rallies. I was riding into town after getting back from the 2nd one in Klamath Falls and Terry was in his driveway washing his HD Fatboy. I pulled into his driveway and suggested that since he had all his bike-washing stuff out, he might as well wash my bike, too. He looked at the bugs I'd picked up on my trip and gracefully declined the privilege. Then he asked me where I'd been and I told him. He said something like, "Wow, quite a trip!"

At that point, I asked him how many miles he had on his bike (he'd bought it about a month after I'd bought my Connie. He turned on his ignition so his odometer would light up and told me 2800 miles. And he'd put 1900 of that on the previous week, when he and five other buddies had ridden to Laughlin, NV, for the River Run. IIRC, I had about 28,000 miles on my Connie then.

Then he told me how they'd ridden to Laughlin and back and I was extremely grateful that the kind of folks I rode with then (and ride with now, for that matter) led a different motorcycling lifestyle. Terry and his buds were all riding Harleys (nothing wrong with that). One of them had a bike with the little peanut tank and his range was only little over 100 miles. So, they'd ride till that guy needed gas. They'd all fill up and one of them would buy a 6-pack of beer. Then they'd ride to the edge of town, down the 6-pack, and ride another 100 miles, buy more gas, and repeat until they got to Laughlin. It was about 930 miles to Laughlin -- but they made the trip in only three days each way.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, Jim, what was your friend Ken's last name. I don't remember knowing any Connie riders from Coon Valley, but if he went to the COG National in Tomah, he might have seen me since I was the only person there on an NT. :)

Top Bottom