Need advice replacing top box

Bike
2011 Black NT700
After a nice ride this morning I arrived home to discover my top box had come off the back of my bike. I retracted my step but no luck.
So I am asking for suggestions on a new top box. This is what I am left with if that helps.
20160630_142536.jpg

Thanks for the help, Clint

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Clint,

That looks like the SW Motech AluRack (sp?) rack. The good news is that the center section holds the adapter so you can put almost any topbox you want on there. Just go to Twisted Throttle website and pick out what you want. I would pick out the top box first, then figure out what adapter to buy. I used the givi monolock adapter and a givi v46. I think Phil runs that rack with the a different top box.

I still have my givi v46 and it is still running strong and sporting my NT-owners.org sticker from the 2012 national rally.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clint, what top box did you have? I ask because I had structural failure with two Shad top boxes I'd bought from Twisted Throttle. The first one cracked across the bottom between the two front tabs and I realized that it was broken after I got home from a fast trip to Texas for my ex-father-in-law's funeral. Twisted Throttle replaced it but suggested that I had probably overloaded it. Hmmm.... well, maybe I did.

I kept right on loading the 2nd Shad top box the way I loaded the first one and the Givi top box I had before that on my two Kawasaki Concours. When I was in Bay St Lawrence, Nova Scotia, during my Epic Ride in 2013, I realized that the 2nd Shad was cracked in the same way and jury rigged some bungee cords to keep it from coming off the bike, knowing that I was going to be at Twisted Throttle in about a week.

When I got there, they once again told me that I had the top box overloaded. I bought a Givi E-55 and loaded it the same way since I was nearly 2000 miles from home. I've kept right on loading the Givi the same way and it's still OK.

I recognize that I've probably just signed the Givi's death warrant by saying that about it. :)

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
For those wondering, this is what I lost.
Clint,
Forget Twisted Throttle, you need Cabela's!

I have a Givi 46 on my NT but uses a specific Givi mount, not use the universal mount that you have.
I have a JC Whitney that I will send to you for shipping and a cup of coffee, but you might be better off with a Pelican Case.

I apologize for the Cabela thing but we are planning our annual trek across Montana and it just seemed right.
You ought come to Spearfish.
Cheers

Bike
2011 nt700vabs black
sorry for the loss. hope there wasn't much in it. i once lost a small tankbag on a 22 mile ride. there when i left, gone when i got there. never saw it go. traced my steps several times, even put an ad on the local public service TV station. had several small tools and a fancy flashlight in it. never found it. course part of the ride was through an area noted for UFO sightings.........

Bike
Silver NT700V
The "genuine" JC Whitney is a good low cost choice. I had one for 72,000 miles and it never leaked or came close to coming off.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Great news! My top case was found and will be returned with the contents. Now I need to decide which if any of the new stuff to return.
Ride safe and arrive alive.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
It was a great day. The top box was returned today with all the contents and no worse for wear. Before I knew the good news I had purchased a new top case, GoPro 3+, SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (Pelican topcase) from Twisted Throttle and aDrySpec Pelican Quick-Release Hardware Kit for SW-MOTECH Top Case Racks from Revzilla.
I'm keeping the top case and GoPro. I will return the rest unless someone is interested.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom